Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feeling like food is stuck in my throat

I'm 2 weeks out today and started on my puree phase. I ate about 1/4 cup of cottage cheese. This isn't my first bariatric surgery so I know to take small bites and chew very well which I did, but I feel as though I have something stuck in my throat. I got this feeling a lot when I was banded so I'm just wondering if this is natural with the sleeve? I did not over eat, I stopped as my stomach started to get that full affect. I also started to burp a lot after eating, something I also did with the band. Any info would be great :)

I felt that feeling a lot in the first few weeks- my stomach did not feel full, but I could feel the food in my esophagus and I realized that I had eaten too much. I have to be careful and measure everything I eat because I rarely feel full in my stomach, but I can always tell by the feeling of food in my throat that I have eaten too much, or too quickly. It took me about a month to be able to eat 1/4 cup, but my doctor told me that she made my sleeve very tight and to expect that. Now I can eat 1/2 cup of most foods, but every now and then, even when I measure, I will still get that feeling in my throat before I am done eating because some foods just take longer to move through the sleeve than others.

I felt that feeling a lot in the first few weeks- my stomach did not feel full' date=' but I could feel the food in my esophagus and I realized that I had eaten too much. I have to be careful and measure everything I eat because I rarely feel full in my stomach, but I can always tell by the feeling of food in my throat that I have eaten too much, or too quickly. It took me about a month to be able to eat 1/4 cup, but my doctor told me that she made my sleeve very tight and to expect that. Now I can eat 1/2 cup of most foods, but every now and then, even when I measure, I will still get that feeling in my throat before I am done eating because some foods just take longer to move through the sleeve than others.[/quote']

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets that feeling. I too don't "feel" full. I get the same food in my esophagus feeling or heartburn feeling. Then I know it's time to stop. I don't know if my surgeon made my stomach right though. But at least I know others have the same thing I do,

Hi, can you help me out I'm am trying to talk to people that had band to sleeve revision. I you don't mind me asking... Did you have sleeve surgery the same time they removed the band or did you remove band and wait several months?

I had same problem with band never felt full only that food was stuck. So now I am wondering if the same thing will happen with the sleeve is there any point in the revisions. I would appreciate your thoughts good and band ... Actually, I would love anyone's opinion that would like to give me their take! Thanks so much an good luck with your sleeve

Yes..I got that feeling also alot in the beginning..I think I recognize when I am full now and it doesn't happen much anymore

I am 6 months out and still have that feeling. It is very disappointing. If this is the way its always going to be I will really regret this surgery. Losing weight is great, but I feel like this pain is starving me. Eating is a completely unpleasant experience. I feel deprived and hungry all the time. I just have to be patient and hope it gets better with time. Good luck to you.

Poorehouse,

I had my revision done in 2 separate surgeries. Mine were about 5 weeks apart. I know a lot of people on here had theirs done at the same time though. I actually preferred my surgeries done in 2 parts. I had a lot of pain with the removal of my band, mainly in the area of my port. I'm thinking it had a lot to do with the fact my port had flipped causing a lot of scar tissue around it. They also found while removing my band I had a very large hiatal hernia that was starting to close the hole between my esophagus and stomach. They did wait until my revision surgery to fix it though. I had the sleeve and hiatal hernia repair done 5 weeks later and had no pain, nausea or acid reflux with that surgery, which makes me wonder if it would have been worse to have all that done at the same time! My revision took 7 1/2 hrs as it was, if I would have done it all at once it would have been a good 12 hr surgery!!! No thank you, lol. I'm only 2 weeks out and started puréed yesterday and although I felt that stuck feeling like I did with the band, it ended up going away after about 15 minutes unlike when I had the band. I'm thinking its just another way for our stomach to let us know when to stop eating :) I really haven't had a lot of issues like some others have for the exception of getting dehydrated but if I had to do it over, I would!! :) There is a room on here that is all band to sleeve revisions, you might want to post and ask others as well, we are all different and experience different things. Good luck in whatever decision you make!!

I am 6 months out and still have that feeling. It is very disappointing. If this is the way its always going to be I will really regret this surgery. Losing weight is great, but I feel like this pain is starving me. Eating is a completely unpleasant experience. I feel deprived and hungry all the time. I just have to be patient and hope it gets better with time. Good luck to you.

While everyone is different I heard from a member of my support group (2 years out) that for some of us, this feeling is the new "full". I hate that stuck feeling but I appreciate that I feel it since I know I'm still so newly post-op (7 weeks).

I also get this feeling if I eat something too fast (rarely but it does happen) or if something is too dry. I, like you, hope that we can get to a point where we no longer feel stuck.

My surgeon actually told me not to expect to feel the same feeling of full as before. He said I will feel it more in my chest and to stop eating at that point (or before). I didn't have this feeling a lot in the beginning but now that I am 2 1/2 months out and eating regular foods, I feel it much more often. I think because I am eating too fast. Once or twice I've eating just a bit too much (again probably eating too fast to realize I need to stop) and I have been miserable. It just felt like the food was up to my throat. I'm fine if I eat slowly, chew well and listen to my sleeve:)

Your stomach is a bit numb so by the time you feel full it's too late.. Slow down when you eat and measure so that you're eating less food until you start getting your sensation back..

Hi, can you help me out I'm am trying to talk to people that had band to sleeve revision. I you don't mind me asking... Did you have sleeve surgery the same time they removed the band or did you remove band and wait several months?

I had same problem with band never felt full only that food was stuck. So now I am wondering if the same thing will happen with the sleeve is there any point in the revisions. I would appreciate your thoughts good and band ... Actually, I would love anyone's opinion that would like to give me their take! Thanks so much an good luck with your sleeve

I had my band removed at the same time as I was sleeved. I had wanted an RNY, but my surgeon said that he would only do that if it was safe to (depending on scar tissue after the band, etc.). When he removed the band, it was a total mess in there--no surprise, given the complications I've had over the past 2 years. But, although he wasn't able to do the RNY, he was able to do the VSG.

I'm only 2 weeks out now, just starting on pureed foods, so I can't really tell you how it compares. But I hated that feeling with the band! So I really hope it's not like that with the sleeve.....

Thank You all for the info, I just worried because with the band I always had that stuck feeling. I do believe that it's just my bodies way of saying I've had enough food, as it only lasted about 15 minutes :)