Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Miracle" flexibility suggestion for tight people

I have a question, Fiddly Diddly. While looking at mats on Amazon I noticed that they are around 30" in length. Do you find it helps release tension in areas other than the back, even though only your back is touching it while your lying on it?

Mine came with a paper that shows other ways to use it, such as under the hips etc... where it can work in other areas. I saw a picture of someone standing on one :blink: I am not sure how that would feel!

I guess what I was wondering was whether you find it benefits body parts other than the back when you are using it only on your back (as it was designed). Do you feel the release anywhere else? You mentioned you felt looser in the hamstrings' date=' but from my understanding you only used in on your back. I know the muscles along the spine can correspond to other areas of the body when it comes to pain, so I'm curious as to whether this applies to muscle relaxation as well.[/quote']

Yes, I got relief in the hamstrings from just laying on my back on the mat. The reason is that tight muscles in the lower back also means tight hamstrings to an effect. Now I still have tight hamstrings to this day so getting hamstring relief is a work in progress. Continuing to do rolling on the IT connector and glut regions really does help in combination with use of the mat. I do not have an expert opinion on this topic; just trying to find techniques that help using the tools and knowledge at my disposal.

Check out how the muscles and ligaments are connected in the following graphic:

http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.&fp=f767d765ca05fd80&q=hamstring+muscles&biv=i%7C2%3Bd%7CR9zJ259dJNk0gM%3A

Try and target the massage of those muscles connected to the hamstrings. I am also probably genetically born with short tight hamstrings so I need to work harder and smarter to get the desired flexibility and mobility that others get "for free". Life is not fair sometimes, but we learn to compensate in different ways to make up for genetic inequalities.

Mine came with a paper that shows other ways to use it' date=' such as under the hips etc... where it can work in other areas. I saw a picture of someone standing on one :blink: I am not sure how that would feel![/quote']

Can you scan in some images and share them? I would love to see other uses.

Using acupressure on your feet is actually reflexology and, if done right, can positively interact with many anatomical systems in the body from gastric to endocrine to lymphatic to pancreatic to circulatory and so on. I have a little spiky peanut that I use on my feet and it feels so heavenly in the morning when I first get up. It is very cheap also at about 7 dollars on Amazon. Standing on the mat probably offers the same benefits, especially if you walk around on it to hit many different areas on your feet. The "on" and "off" modes of rapidly hitting the different points on your feet is probably most beneficial rather then just standing still on it, hitting the same points in an "on" position. I have not tried this with the mat, but am going to now that you mention it. :)

My son has been suffering from back issues for months now so I trotted off to Amazon to look at this. I suspect this works through endorphin release, no? Everyone complains of the pain for the first few minutes and then that warm, relaxing feeling which should signal endorphins. So I suspect no matter what part of your body you use it on, you should feel generalized pain-relief.

Hmm.. I wonder if it will work for him? Thanks so much for posting!

My son has been suffering from back issues for months now so I trotted off to Amazon to look at this. I suspect this works through endorphin release' date=' no? Everyone complains of the pain for the first few minutes and then that warm, relaxing feeling which should signal endorphins. So I suspect no matter what part of your body you use it on, you should feel generalized pain-relief.

Hmm.. I wonder if it will work for him? Thanks so much for posting![/quote']

Yes, that is exactly how it works. Endorphins are released during the application of acupressure to the back, shoulders, neck and head. Feels so good. It is also very interesting that laying on this mat and use of the pillow makes me very sleepy. I can get a good power nap on it. You are right in that the warmth comes on after only a few minutes. And then the snooze. :)

Yes, that is exactly how it works. Endorphins are released during the application of acupressure to the back, shoulders, neck and head. Feels so good. It is also very interesting that laying on this mat and use of the pillow makes me very sleepy. I can get a good power nap on it. You are right in that he warmth comes on after only a few minutes. And then the snooze. :)

Just bought him one. If this helps him, I will send you a long distance hug and kiss of gratitude. it's so hard to see your kids in pain.

Fiddle- I have had a massage before and the therapist did about 30 minutes of guided "stretching" that truly helped with mobility and flexibility, this was pre-op I can only imagine what it will be like now post-op. maybe something to look into, I know some massage therapist will let you book a session for the stretching flexibility sessions without the full massage.

Yes, I got relief in the hamstrings from just laying on my back on the mat. The reason is that tight muscles in the lower back also means tight hamstrings to an effect. Now I still have tight hamstrings to this day so getting hamstring relief is a work in progress. Continuing to do rolling on the IT connector and glut regions really does help in combination with use of the mat. I do not have an expert opinion on this topic; just trying to find techniques that help using the tools and knowledge at my disposal.

Check out how the muscles and ligaments are connected in the following graphic:

http://www.google.co...R9zJ259dJNk0gM:

Try and target the massage of those muscles connected to the hamstrings. I am also probably genetically born with short tight hamstrings so I need to work harder and smarter to get the desired flexibility and mobility that others get "for free". Life is not fair sometimes, but we learn to compensate in different ways to make up for genetic inequalities.

I should probably make myself familiar with the chart anyway, since I start taking A&P in the fall! I, too, have and have always had short hamstrings. Even when I was at my most fit and flexible, I've had to give them careful attention. A few years ago I tore my left lower hamstring (after neglecting to stretch properly before a bout of dodgeball with 4th graders), so now it's even shorter! I am definitely going to get myself one of these mats and appreciate your recommendation. :)

You bet! I am always happy to help my fellow VST friends. :)

Which brand of the mat is preferred, there are so many different ones on Amazon. I didn't know if any of them are better than others. I am certainly interested in trying out a mat!!

No idea if any have an advantage over another other than brand name. I say go cheap.

I got the following zensufu package:

http://www.amazon.com/Zensufu-Complete-Acupressure-Massage-Comfort/dp/B007RZJD1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376243789&sr=8-1&keywords=Bed+of+nails

I just tried mat under legs and pillow under lumbar. That was interesting and definitely feels good.

No idea if any have an advantage over another other than brand name. I say go cheap.

I got the following zensufu package:

http://www.amazon.co...ds=Bed of nails

Ok that's exactly what I was hoping you would say! haha! I don't want to spend too much money! :-) Thanks!! I'll order it up right now.

Another thing.... I used to have bad knots in my lower back and it would take me rubbing them daily to keep them at bay. No joke two days of doing this they were gone. I think I paid 47 and it was the mat and a pillow and protective bag.

I have been thinking more about this knot comment today.

This afternoon, I decided to do some personal investigation of the tightness below my lower back, but above my hamstrings in the outer left buttock / hip region. It almost feels like it is in the glut Maximus muscle, but might also be something entirely different as in the Piriformis region. It is definitely tight as a bow string and a couple inches below skin of the buttocks on the left side right at or slightly below level of hip. It feels like hip pain.

The following page has a nice diagram of the Piriformis region:

http://www.doctorschierling.com/piriformis-syndrome--chronic-butt-pain.html

This page talks about Piriformis Syndrome. I wonder if this applies to me because I have gotten sciatica nerve pain in my leg for a while in the past ( not recently since post op though). However, I had not really experienced the tightness and "hip" pain until starting to run earlier in the year.

I think this muscle started to get tight when running often and for long distances back in dec2012-mar2013 (was running 18-25 miles a week). It has since remained tight only on the left side. This might have something to do with bad posture from decades of sitting in a chair for work and perhaps exasperated by running, lifting and general fitness stuff since surgery.

The mat is not relieving that one area in the left buttock / hip region. Even my trusty roller does not seem to touch the tightness / pain.

Activity does relieve the tightness and pain in the left hip / buttock region and then it comes back after workouts.

So I started to really dig in with my fingers, focusing on the tightness. Must have looked funny digging into my behind at home. Lol. Anyone know how to get this muscle to "let go?" It is getting a little better after digging hard, but I will need to keep working on that knot with hard pressure tomorrow from my digging fingers. Or perhaps I will go get myself a sports massage. :) still researching...

Fiddle, check this out:

http://www.activerelease.com/

I highly recommend ART. This works much quicker than a deep tissue massage and really gets right to the muscle(s) that need working. If you find a good therapist that knows what they are doing this should do the trick. I found out about this from going to a chiropractor. Not the usual "crack your back" kind but one that uses massage and physical therapy to actually fix the problems. ART along with foam rolling, stretching and area specific exercises have relieved me of much pain and made me stronger. Be aware that it does take a lot of tedious work to get these areas back to working order and it can take a while, it's not a quick fix but it can be done you just have to have some patience.