Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The pre op diet is killing my energy levels....what do i do?

Hey all...well i am stuck on 3 shakes plus 1 lean/green meal per night from now till september 8th...then its clear liquids...Problem is: its not my surgeon giving me thepre opdiet so early...its my pcp telling me to start now because my triglyceride levels are high...I am 5 days in and my lack of energy/ exhaustion plus mood swings are making it impossible to finish my schoolwork and study for my exams which happens in a month...what do i do????

Are u drinking 60 to 100 oz of Water a day and a multi Vitamin. I'm on my 9th day of pre op diet and lost 8lbs. I go to the gym a few times a week, which I think is helping with energy levels. I know exactly what u mean about not being able to finish schoolwork. I'm in between semesters and have been putting surgery off for a year because of nursing school. But I definitely recommend sitting with a gallon of water and cup while studying.

If you had a drastic drip in carbs I think it's pretty normal to feel low energy at first until you body switches over to burning fat for fuel. Usually passes after a week. Exercise helps and getting enough sleep, Water and Vitamins. I think if you've had a huge decrease in sodium you lose Water weight and your BP can drop.

Shel in Kansas - Sleeved 5/21/13

Hey all...well i am stuck on 3 shakes plus 1 lean/green meal per night from now till september 8th...then its clear liquids...Problem is: its not my surgeon giving me thepre opdiet so early...its my pcp telling me to start now because my triglyceride levels are high...I am 5 days in and my lack of energy/ exhaustion plus mood swings are making it impossible to finish my schoolwork and study for my exams which happens in a month...what do i do????

Hang in there for 4-5 days, and you will be back to normal. I too was worried about work and family, etc because I slept a lot during the first days. Day nine now and I'm my usual chipper self as of a few days ago.

I'm on day 10 of liquids. I have a very stressful job and I also have degenerative disc disease in my cervical vertebrae. I fell a few days ago backing out of an elevator with a shopping cart. I fell on my well cushioned butt, but since then the area right below my neck has been killing me. I have been in a lot of pain the last few days. I can't take any NSAIDS because I'm 5 days pre-op. I still have to work today and tomorrow. At night I've been taking a Flexeril and a Xanax to help me sleep, but I can't function at work on either of those. I'm a Nurse on an Acute Psych Unit. I guess I just have to put on my big girl panties and tough it out. The liquid diet has been a breeze, but this pain is killing me.

Oh gosh...thats horrible! Well i caved last night and ate sushi:'( It was so good and it was like i had all the energy in the world again..until i felt horrible from the carb crash and had a reaction to msg...oh gawd..never again... so its back to day 1 ...I hope this fixes my triglyceride levels or im going to be talking to my pcp about this!!

I still have hunger after 4 days of pre op. I have to stay busy earlier to late or I find my self looking in the fridge

Getting any easier?

Shel in Kansas - Sleeved 5/21/13

Not for me...i had to talk to my pcp and tell him that i couldnt continue with that particular style of diet...i need more than 500 calories a day in order to focus on my schoolwork..ive wasted nights that could have been spent doing homework..but instead was sleeping cause ive been too tired

I'm on day 5 of my liquid diet. I am so tired. I sleep a ton, i can't stand it.

I'm on day 5 of my liquid diet. I am so tired. I sleep a ton' date=' i can't stand it.[/quote']

I was the Sam way and then at six felt like someone had flipped a switch and I was vs l to my normal self and was very productive.

I did 1000 calories first week and 800 the next werek though so none if these 300-400 calorie days for me. I work long hours and travel. I was t going to cheat bit I still needed to function and u doc said keep between 800-10000

So hang in there. Relief Is on its way

I did 3 shakes plus a lean and green for 3.5 months leading up to my surgery and it was around 800 calories a day. Once I got into the swing of things I felt pretty good.. But in the early weeks, I'd have an extra shake or an extra portion of lean meat to satisfy me.. Once ketosis was in full swing, I had energy, I didn't feel hungry at all and it got much easier.

I did 3 shakes plus a lean and green for 3.5 months leading up to my surgery and it was around 800 calories a day. Once I got into the swing of things I felt pretty good.. But in the early weeks' date=' I'd have an extra shake or an extra portion of lean meat to satisfy me.. Once ketosis was in full swing, I had energy, I didn't feel hungry at all and it got much easier.[/quote']

Though I've not been put on a pre-op diet, I would like to try something similar to what you're describing. Can you tell me at what time you had your shakes and what brands you chose?

Though I've not been put on a pre-op diet, I would like to try something similar to what you're describing. Can you tell me at what time you had your shakes and what brands you chose?

I chose Isopure and jay robb. I mixed one with coffee, one with milk and one with a sugar free drink such as Vitamin Water zero or sugar free fruit punch type thing. I had the coffee shake when I got to work, the shake made with milk for lunch, then I had my lean and green dinner early in the evening, then have my last shake while watching TV at night. Also I could have some sugar free jello/sugar free popcicles as a snack. I was also allowed to choose from the following as Snacks provided my overall calories were under 800: a hard boiled egg, half of a piece of fruit, half an ounce of nuts. I rarely had the calories though since my shakes alone usually totaled 450 calories leaving just 350 calories for my lean and green meal.

I also sometimes substituted a cup of 1% cottage cheese for one of my shakes if I simply couldn't FACE another shake that day