Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so you veterans of the Sleeve, please help. I am just a little bit concerned over how little food I can eat before I feel sick. I can eat 2 - 3 bites of just about anything and then Im feeling complete pain and pressure at the top of my stomach where the sternum is located. Does it get better? Will I ever be able to eat more than this? I am only 3 weeks post op and just started soft solids today. For lunch I ate some chicken and wound up throwing it up 20 minutes later because the pain and fullness was just too much to take. Will I ever be able to eat a child's size plate of food, or am I going to be eating 2 - 3 bites of food for the rest of my life? I ate two medium raviollis with meet in them for dinner tonight and was just stuffed. I know I want to eat less but 2 - 3 bites seems a bit ridiculous.

There's definitely an adjustment period. The most frustrating part aside from the hell of the first month was knowing when to stop eating. I'm almost one year out and I still can't eat a lot. I think you learn to adjust to it and you don't really think about it. You're probably never going to eat like a normal person so the best thing you can do is learn to eat for the nutritional value and try not to focus on the amount. In the beginning especially the first month or 2 there can be some discomfort with eating. I had a really good surgeon who has a more gradual plan so it makes it somewhat easier to in time eat more varieties.

I also think that since you are only 3 weeks out there is still some swelling of your stomach going on. I am 9 weeks out and most definitely can eat more than at 3 weeks. Still not a lot :) Give yourself some time to heal; try not to worry.

Thanks you guys. I just feel sick when I sit down to eat with my kids and I take three bites and feel like I hurting because I am so full. I appreciate the advice. Each phase of my diet is 10 days. So I am just starting the soft foods. I will be on that for 10 days.

I am three weeks out as well, and I can get in about 3/4 oz of chicken, pork etc before I feel satisfied. My husband is 1 year out and can eat 3-4 oz of Protein plus a small serving of veggie for a meal. Listen to your body and stop when you are satisfied- not full, because soon you will be overfull. Also, how big are your "bites"? According to my NUT, the ideal size if a bite is a dime size or less, and chew, chew, chew- 30x per bite! Eat over 20-30 min putting your fork down between each bite. Easier said than done... :). Each food can react in your body differently so ease into trying foods one at a time. Pasta can be hard to digest in the beginning & doesn't have a lot of nutritional value, so my NUT out it on the "foods to avoid" list. But every NUT is different so follow what yours wants you to do.

I cannot even eat solid foods till like week 6? First week was clear liquid now two weeks of full liquids, then purée and finally I can move into actual food... I guess every Dr is different in the diets they want you to follow.. However I cannot drink more than 2 oz of any cream Soups and 3 oz of broth so I certainly couldn't handle a piece of chicken right now. I am actually happy about this bc I was sleeved on July 13th and I've lost 18 lbs since day of surgery.

Yes it gets better. Since chicken did not work, skip that for a month, and then try again. What about cottage cheese or Hummas as a Protein alternative?

I am 4 weeks PO and would not try ravioli. Stick with tuna salad, cortège cheese, cream Soups etc. Pasta is a no no!

Ok' date=' so you veterans of the Sleeve, please help. I am just a little bit concerned over how little food I can eat before I feel sick. I can eat 2 - 3 bites of just about anything and then Im feeling complete pain and pressure at the top of my stomach where the sternum is located. Does it get better? Will I ever be able to eat more than this? I am only 3 weeks post op and just started soft solids today. For lunch I ate some chicken and wound up throwing it up 20 minutes later because the pain and fullness was just too much to take. Will I ever be able to eat a child's size plate of food, or am I going to be eating 2 - 3 bites of food for the rest of my life? I ate two medium raviollis with meet in them for dinner tonight and was just stuffed. I know I want to eat less but 2 - 3 bites seems a bit ridiculous.[/quote']

I continue to see posts like this. My response is not directed at this OP nor is it meant to be hurtful. I have had similar thoughts myself and I ask myself- why do I want to be able to eat more? I had this surgery so I would eat less. I am thrilled I can only eat a few bites and I am full. We are wishing ourselves right back to where we started where we can eat two or three pieces of chicken in 2 minutes. I am almost 5 months out, have lost 75 lbs and am constantly worried this ride is going to stop. I see posts from vets who are back to basics to get the last 5,10,20 lbs off - so lets be happy our sleeves are working! I never want to be able to et more as long as I feel healthy. If I eat until I am sick means I don't have control- the hardest part of this has been slowing down when I eat. I am finally getting there. Don't worry about ONLY eating 2 bites- be happy!!

Ann

Ok' date=' so you veterans of the Sleeve, please help. I am just a little bit concerned over how little food I can eat before I feel sick. I can eat 2 - 3 bites of just about anything and then Im feeling complete pain and pressure at the top of my stomach where the sternum is located. Does it get better? Will I ever be able to eat more than this? I am only 3 weeks post op and just started soft solids today. For lunch I ate some chicken and wound up throwing it up 20 minutes later because the pain and fullness was just too much to take. Will I ever be able to eat a child's size plate of food, or am I going to be eating 2 - 3 bites of food for the rest of my life? I ate two medium raviollis with meet in them for dinner tonight and was just stuffed. I know I want to eat less but 2 - 3 bites seems a bit ridiculous.[/quote']

Ravioli is Pasta and I don't think we are supposed to eat that for awhile. I would think the flour would no be good for your new stomach. Just stick to the recommended foods and your intake should increase gradually.

How was the chicken cooked? It must be really moist. Also you must chew well. Try something softer and revisit chicken in a week or 2.

It does get better and in just a few months time you will look back at this post and wonder what you was worried about.

I cannot even eat solid foods till like week 6? First week was clear liquid now two weeks of full liquids, then purée and finally I can move into actual food... I guess every Dr is different in the diets they want you to follow.. However I cannot drink more than 2 oz of any cream Soups and 3 oz of broth so I certainly couldn't handle a piece of chicken right now. I am actually happy about this bc I was sleeved on July 13th and I've lost 18 lbs since day of surgery.

I thought I had the strictest dr on this board. Finally someone else who has such a restricted diet. I have full liquids for 4 weeks, then soft foods for another 4 weeks. can't wait to eat some refried Beans in 2 weeks! I'm so sick of Tomato soup!