Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I live in North West Mississppi

Hello....I understand the policy well. I used to be married to a school teacher about 3 years ago. They had the same policy. The reason my surgery is going to be paid like 99% is that I was injured at my goverment Job. So in turn I have medicare along with BC/BS. I had to pay $350 for the program fee and $60 for the Mental status report. In all, it'll be only $160. BC/BS says they will refund $250. Because my co-pays are paid by them.....Who knew??

HOW WONDERFUL!!! I am so happy for you. It just makes me happy to hear that insurance sometimes pays for this life-changing surgery. I went into this knowing that it would take me 3-1/2 years to pay off my bank loan (and not having any extra money), and I do not regret it. I am sorry that you have an on-the-job injury, but thankfully, you will benefit greatly from the insurance coverage.

Best of luck to you, and remember, your friends on this board will be here cheering you on as you begin your wls journey.

Have a wonderful day..........connie

Yes...I have been doing what I need to do with my 2 sons. No assistance from their Mom. Just doing what I need to. I am not even getting myself into any relationships until I can get my goal done--well at least 50% done. I have seen two Women who are interestd--but I am remaining friends. I have to get my workout schedule done--but the main thing is to impliment it. Yes--the super bowl was my last party scene for life where I had ribs, chicken and the rest of the greasy food. I must admit--after the 2 days--my stomach did hurt once again. Strange how God is trying to tell me something important...Lee

Hey, Susie......

I hate it each time I hear that insurance will not cover weight-loss surgery; seems odd to me that providers are willing to pay for the meds and treatments for our co-morbidities, but not for the surgery that restores our health. Have you heard that some insurance companies deny coverage to bandsters? I don't personally know anyone who has had this problem, but have heard that it does happen.

I am very happy that I chose to do this even though I am having to pay for it AND my BC/BS monthly premium. I hope you have the same measure of success that I have had with this tool. Just remember that it is not a "magic fix", but that if you do your part, it will help you reach the goal that you set for yourself. Also remember that many of us are available if you have any questions during your journey.

Wishing you all the best.........connie :nervous

If all things look well....I could be down to 40 more days. Meaning--at the most--March 15th. Now that my foot is more than in the door. I have the surgeons appointment and now I will be starting out on my new journey of life. I have a plan now---teaching my soon to 11 and 9 y/0 olds to cook. I have started them with stir fry veggies. next--more healthy food choices.....

Yes--I met a few ladies at the dietician class who was struggling with finance. They had to pay of of pocket too. I felt bad...but each of us have a different thing....Whatever comes up--I am still apart of this board....

Good Morning, Lee

I like your attitude-"Whatever comes up-I am still part of this board....". As long as you keep that mind-set, you will be able to overcome any stumbling blocks that life plants in your path. And the fact that you have accepted the sole responsibility of raising your sons, speaks volumes about you. I think that it is wonderful that after doing so much for others in your life, you are able to do this for yourself.

Congratulations! These 40 days will pass before you know it. Have you begun shopping for your "after surgery foods" yet? I usually put together a "care package" for my friends when they are banded. I include samples of all my favorite liquids, sugar free and low fat foods so they can decide what they like before they but.

Have a wonderful day....connie

New stumbling block.....Medicare wants 6 months of weight loss tries.....Today I find it out as I enter the nutrition class. I am hoping that since I have been going to my Dr. for more than 1 year....I will have enough weights to give them 6 months....What a gip. Too many people now have the surgery--but they regain the weight again. At least that is what I was told. They want us to be serious...with me being over weight since 1997 and trying this and that to drop it....I have to say---it's been many trials

Good evening all. Lee, how are you.

Things are great hear. for those of you who were not on this tread when i last posted. I was live in South Mississippi. I had the surgery on January 15th and have lost 22 lbs. Glad to see it gone. Just before the surgery, I was informed that they had found a pylop in my gallbladder and would need to remove it during or just after the band was secure. It was not a bad surgery at all. I took off work for a week, just to make sure that all wounds were healed. I have six incisions and they have all healed very well. I have not had a hard time eating or must I say drinking my food. I am on pureed foods this week and have come up with some very interesting recipes. I wish you all success. I can't see any difference in looking in the mirror, but everyone else say they can. The key for me has been walking everyday and not over exserting myself. I still go out to dinner, but that's for my own therapy.

I have Fed BC/BS as well and i paid $100 to the hospital and $175 to my doctor. Lee, I had concerns with the 6 months of doctor supervised weight loss as well, but my doctor sent in information that I had been being monitored for over six months. Again, I wish you all success and if you have any questions for me, Please feel free to ask. I am not a Guru, but I have had a trial or two.

Andre

Hi Lee,

I am also going to be banded by Dr. Weaver. Well, if I can get approved, that is. I was originally going to use a surgeon in Nashville, but found out after I had gotten everything submitted to insurance that he wasn't in-network for me. I actually just got the paperwork from Dr. Weaver's office today. I am hoping that I can get everything rolling pretty soon, because I want this darn surgery sooner rather than later.

Howdy, Y'all! Susie, I am scheduled to be banded by Dr. King on February 23rd! I have BSBS of MS also and do to a written exclusion in my policy I am also self pay for this. BOO-HOO! I am hoping this is the best $14,500 I ever spend! I really like Dr. King and was impressed that he has had no cases of slippage or erosion in all of the banding cases that he and Dr. Byars have done. Good luck !

Hey to all Mississippians! I was banded by Dr. Byars in Oxford, Ms on Jan 25th. I swear it is the very best thing I have ever done! This was my 30th birthday present to myself. I have lost 32 lbs and have lots more to go, but I know that this is the tool that will help me get there! I have not had any problems and now I am just waiting to get my first fill. Good luck to all of you! And if any of you live in the Oxord area, let me know!

Well...Like in Baseball--I am on deck--surgeons apptment--next week--28th Feb....I am going to try for a friday of the 9th or the 16th.....well--I have to see what's open..Lee

Hey Keyla! Sounds like you are doing great - it is so encouraging to hear people having success like yours. Keep up the good work, girl!:clap2:

Good to hear that all of you are excited about being banded. I will tell you that I would be banded over and over again if I had known that I would have felt the way I feel. I was banded on January 15, 2007 and have lost a total of 28 lbs since then. I have not had any problems nor has it been a challenge to find things to eat nor energy. I have pretty much stayed on task with the diet or healthy eating habits. I think I have lost so well because, once I saw that I had lost a little weight, I was encouraged to keep myself strict to my doctors orders. I went on tueday for my first fill and I would like to share that experience with you all.

They first accessed my port area to determine whether or not my incissions were healing correctly. He had me to place both of my legs together and lift them six inches. This allowed the port to pop/lift in the muscle under the skin. He then swabbed me with alcohol and injected the saline. Now, I will tell you that it feels really weird. It kind of feels like you have butterflies in your stomach.:faint: It was not bad, but when I first saw the needle, I was like :) (What????). Yeah, I knew there was going to be a needle, but not so large. It did not hurt, but it did feel funny. It was not an immediate restriction, but today I have eaten a smalll cup of apple sauce and am satisfied. Just think, I began this thing weighting 248 lbs and am now 218.5 lbs. All I can do is be excited for everyone else beginning or on this journey. Congratulations to all of you who have made this life saving decision.