Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surprisingly easy to gain weight..!

Hello, everyone!

I had my sleeve on August 31, 2011, so I am about 2 months shy of 2 years. There have been lots of events in my life the last few months, that have added to my stress, and disrupted my eating routine, and I'd like to write a little about it. Primarily to get feedback if anyone has had a similar situation, and secondarily to put my thoughts out there into a world where people can relate.

Since I had surgery, I have had lots of time to fall into a very well planned eating and drinking routine. As a student, I have had loads of time to find what works for me, and what doesn't.

However, there were many events that took place in the month of May and June that sort of disrupted that routine. In May, I gave one of the biggest exams of my life. My appetite wasn't very good, and my calorie/protein intake dropped a bit. Following this, I was in classes from 8 to 7 for a week (also a wonky eating and drinking routine), and then I was off to India - this is where things really went downhill. I was barely hitting 50-60% of my nutritional goals, and was running around all day long.

By the end of these 2 months, I had dropped 2.5 pounds below my healthy weight range. Here's the thing, many of us might even be a little happy about going below the range, but no one wants to look sick or undernourished. Losing weight with a healthy lifestyle still leaves you glowing and energetic. I, however, looked anorexic, pale, and dull. It was seriously ridiculous, and people were commenting on how unhealthy I looked every single day.

This was new for me, because I didn't realize how easily I could become malnourished if I wasn't adequately planning out my meals. (I'm vegetarian, by the way). After coming back, there was a huge function at our house, and I was eating the bare minimum for another 2 days. This put me at 3 pounds below weight. In the meantime, the low nutrition caused a bit of muscle loss around the hips, and I started having symptoms related to a pinched nerve.

So, I started pilates and yoga classes to help strengthen my core and ease the pain. At the same time, I decided I would add some more calories, fats, and carbs into my diet, to help bring back that glow and the lost pounds. On a daily basis, I added in half an avocado, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast, and an ounce of nuts. All healthy fats and calories, no?

Well, here's the kicker. By the end of 3 weeks, I had gained back those 3 pounds, plus 1 more. 4 pounds in 3 weeks.

Yes, I'm back in my healthy range, I look well nourished, I have more energy, and no one is telling me that I look sick. I can even see the difference from the yoga. However, I am terrified at learning how easy it is for me to gain weight, even when eating healthy foods. Yes, I can convince myself that it was also easy to lose the weight, and that my body reacted quickly by replacing the lost nutrition... blah blah blah. In the end, I still gained 4 pounds with very little effort, in less than a month.

I always knew that my nutritional planning would be a lifelong process, and I have learned to enjoy it. Still, I didn't realize how quickly my weight and health could fluctuate if I did not make my intake a priority!

Hmh. That's about 10 avocados (2270), 42 slices of whole wheat bread (3360), and 21 oz. of nuts (3633 calories). That's about 3 lbs. of extra calories. Through in an extra pound for Water, and there it is!

At least you chose healthy foods. I had a little junk food party around Christmas time and had to reset my bounce range to 2 lbs.

Lynda

Hmh. That's about 10 avocados (2270)' date=' 42 slices of whole wheat bread (3360), and 21 oz. of nuts (3633 calories). That's about 3 lbs. of extra calories. Through in an extra pound for Water, and there it is!

At least you chose healthy foods. I had a little junk food party around Christmas time and had to reset my bounce range to 2 lbs.

Lynda[/quote']

Nice math Lynda !!

Math is good if she slept in bed all day. However, she walks quite a bit and I am sure does some other exercise. That is why her point of easy gain is so confounding. Maybe it is the case of having a low BMR. Are our stomachs never going to process food like bread, nuts and avocados on a daily basis without turning it into weight gain? This is more of a question from the community and not one that applies to myself (my diet does not include toast).

Math is good if she slept in bed all day. However, she walks quite a bit and I am sure does some other exercise. That is why her point of easy gain is so confounding. Maybe it is the case of having a low BMR. Are our stomachs never going to process food like bread, nuts and avocados on a daily basis without turning it into weight gain? This is more of a question from the community and not one that applies to myself (my diet does not include toast).

The deal is those are extra calories. So the calories she was already consuming normally keep her at goal. She lost while she was on vacation, which might have included some dehydration.

I eat bread, nuts and avocados at goal without gaining weight, but other than bread not as much as the OP. I think for most people, if they are not trigger foods, they can eat limited amounts of these at goal. The trick for many with these foods is they eat more. Instead of one ounce of nuts, its a handful everytime they pass the jar (and that's why mixed nuts are rarely in my house!), or they eat a piece of bread, waking the carb monster and then go on a carb bender.

Also, not everyone is going to be able to eat as much as I do post-op. I'm 5'6" and I walk at least an hour 4 days per week. I built up a lot of muscle pre-op, some of which I still have.

Lynda

To the OP, I get how unnerving that would be. One other thing to keep in mind is that our bodies revert to the "feast or famine" mentality that our ancestors dealt with...so, the wonky schedule you had that caused you to lose weight likely had the effect of making your body think you were in the famine phase...and when you started adding in some "supplemental" calories, your body quite efficiently decided to sock some of that away to sustain you for the next "famine"...that is why the traditional deprivation dieting can ultimately work against people. Doesn't seem fair, but thousands of years of human evolution hasn't caught up with modern day thinking :-)

And, as one of the other posters noted, extra calories are extra calories...100 extra calories a day works out to 10 pounds a year...yikes!

There is a fine line and we all have to find it. Those are healthy choices, but all at one, every day for a while. Calories are calories, not matter how much lipstick we put on that pig, it's still a pig, isn't it??!!! Sucks, big time. Early on, I realized that I couldn't have nuts and cheese for Snacks, because of the high caloric content. In the beginning when I was maintaining and need a couple of snacks a day to maintain, a laughing cow string cheese or a few nuts were fine, but as I could eat more, when I got between 12 and 18 months......I could eat a fourth cup of nuts, sometimes that was close to 200 calories. With that amount, nuts no longer fit into my 1300 calories a day limit. :( Cheese, the same. Sure, healthier than a Twinkie, but I didn't do that either, 200 calories is still 200, so I had to find other ways to get in my 1300 calories but not go over by much, or else I would gain. It is much easier to put on a couple of pounds than it is to lose a couple of pounds, or so it seems. I just make sure that if I need to nip something in the bud, I catch it early. It's easier!! As time goes on, you'll get the hang of it better!!! Good luck!

Lynda, I never did do the math, and it makes sense now that you posted it up.

Fiddleman, I was doing yoga and pilates classes 4 days a week! You've hit the nail on the head about why I was so surprised... the exercise routine was new for me, not something my body should have been used to.

You're also right in your concern about never being able to eat foods like bread, nuts, and avocados without the worry of weight gain. You look great, by the way!

Jensjoy, you make a good point!

NtvTxn, you don't eat cheese or nuts?? Oh man, that would be misery for me! I rely so much on dairy Proteins, and absolutely love cheeses. It takes amazing strength to avoid those foods. Thank you for your input.

Here's an interesting article about why some may have a hard time losing or maintaining (spoiler alert: it's gut bacteria!): http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/04/gut-microbiome-bacteria-weight-loss?page=1

Lynda

Lynda, I never did do the math, and it makes sense now that you posted it up.

Fiddleman, I was doing yoga and pilates classes 4 days a week! You've hit the nail on the head about why I was so surprised... the exercise routine was new for me, not something my body should have been used to.

You're also right in your concern about never being able to eat foods like bread, nuts, and avocados without the worry of weight gain. You look great, by the way!

Jensjoy, you make a good point!

NtvTxn, you don't eat cheese or nuts?? Oh man, that would be misery for me! I rely so much on dairy Proteins, and absolutely love cheeses. It takes amazing strength to avoid those foods. Thank you for your input.

I love both, and in fact have a THREE POUND BAG of almonds in my pantry!!! My dad sent it home with me, a "find" at Cosco!!! I do eat cheese, American and mild cheddar, mozzarella once in a while, but for the most part, I am careful and I always buy 2%. Nuts.....I love these almonds, pecans, walnuts......but the calories, I seldom eat many. Yesterday I had 7 (SEVEN) almonds and I think it was 73 calories. Seriously!!!! I could have eaten three times that many, I'm sure!!! Anyway, love 'em and love cheese....but I'm cautious with both!!!

I love both' date=' and in fact have a THREE POUND BAG of almonds in my pantry!!! My dad sent it home with me, a "find" at Cosco!!! I do eat cheese, American and mild cheddar, mozzarella once in a while, but for the most part, I am careful and I always buy 2%. Nuts.....I love these almonds, pecans, walnuts......but the calories, I seldom eat many. Yesterday I had 7 (SEVEN) almonds and I think it was 73 calories. Seriously!!!! I could have eaten three times that many, I'm sure!!! Anyway, love 'em and love cheese....but I'm cautious with both!!![/quote']

I do not eat American cheese as it is not really cheese in my book.. But I will eat a bit of cheese daily I applaud you on eating low fat cheese! I'd rather have a smaller amount of regular.

I try and stay away from nuts (though I eat only raw nuts when I do have them) because I do not have the control you do! If I keep them in the house it's a handful here and a handful there....

I do think having some "healthy" fats daily like avocado or nuts are a good thing.

Here's an interesting article about why some may have a hard time losing or maintaining (spoiler alert: it's gut bacteria!): http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/04/gut-microbiome-bacteria-weight-loss?page=1

Lynda

This information was really interesting. Thanks Lynda!.

I either buy the 100 calorie pack almonds or the 100 cal almond walnut mix. I bought a large bag of walnuts took them home weighed and bag them in snack size bags. One of my Snacks a light cheese stick and almonds or walnuts. But I defiantly could over eat if I didn't plan ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

The deal is those are extra calories. So the calories she was already consuming normally keep her at goal. She lost while she was on vacation' date=' which might have included some dehydration.

I eat bread, nuts and avocados at goal without gaining weight, but other than bread not as much as the OP. I think for most people, if they are not trigger foods, they can eat limited amounts of these at goal. The trick for many with these foods is they eat more. Instead of one ounce of nuts, its a handful everytime they pass the jar (and that's why mixed nuts are rarely in my house!), or they eat a piece of bread, waking the carb monster and then go on a carb bender.

Also, not everyone is going to be able to eat as much as I do post-op. I'm 5'6" and I walk at least an hour 4 days per week. I built up a lot of muscle pre-op, some of which I still have.

Lynda[/quote']

This is So True! I did truly low carb for several months recently. Lost a few pounds and as soon as got off at all, regained it! Mainly because I was overeating! Even though good fats, low carb. Too many nuts. Too easy to, as Lynda said, eat a " few nuts" here and there etc. I found for me, calories DO matter and yes, fiddle, I think our bodies DO handle things differently after having been thrown into extreme low car/calories for an extended period of time. I know for me I cannot eat Nearly what they say I should be alt to eat per day and even just maintain.

I do not eat American cheese as it is not really cheese in my book.. But I will eat a bit of cheese daily I applaud you on eating low fat cheese! I'd rather have a smaller amount of regular.

I try and stay away from nuts (though I eat only raw nuts when I do have them) because I do not have the control you do! If I keep them in the house it's a handful here and a handful there....

I do think having some "healthy" fats daily like avocado or nuts are a good thing.

I REALLY like the Light Mini Babybel cheese. 50 calories. I use it as a "go to" snack.< /p>