Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK ..HAD MY SURGERY DEC 5TH EVERYTHING WAS GOING GOOD TILL I WENT TO MUSHIES...THAT'S WHEN ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. IT SEEMS THAT I CAN EAT AND EAT AND EAT AND NOT GET FULL. (WILLPOWER NOT WORKING) PLUS, I CAN'T FEEL MY PORT SO I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S MY FAT STOMACH GROWING OR WHAT. I HAVE PEOPLE AT WORK ASKING ME IF I SHOULD BE EATING THAT. :( I DON'T GET MY FIRST FILL TILL JAN 10TH SO I'M HOPING THAT WILL HELP. IS THIS ALL WORTH IT??

PISSED OFF PERSON IN CALI

Leah--you are currently in "Bandster hell"! It will last until you begin eating solid food again, and can take in solids to maintain your fullness for awhile, and even then, until you get a fill, you may not feel much change. Dr.'s told me not to concern myself with losing weight at that point, that the band would be doing nothing---it is simply a time of healing. Continue with your mushies, trying to keep as high of Protein in your diet as possible, it WILL help with the hunger. Limit your intake at one time to the recommended amount (my Dr. said about 2/3 of a cup per sitting). You just do not want to weight the pouch down, and put stress on the healing stitches, holding the band in proper placement.

Tell the people at work, that you have no dietary restrictions at this point...and maybe if you answer them that way for awhile, they will eventually mind their own business!!!

When you get your fill, it may or may not help a lot, it all just depends. With my first fill, I only noticed I could not eat as fast, and had to chew thoroughly. But with my 2nd, I got good restriction, and have not had another. That was back in July.

I have never felt my port...it is buried deep in my muscle according to the Dr. who is doing my fills, in fact he had problems finding it in the begining. I have lost 80 pounds, and still cannot feel it. I have a low profile port---and it is hidden well!!!

Stock up on lots of mushies, and healthy ones would be best---but shoot for good protein, and worry about healing more than losing at this point. If you heal well, your odds are much better when it comes to slips, I was told.

Hang in there----we have all gone through the hell you are right now. Plus----one of the main stages of grief is anger. And right now you are grieving the loss of a good, reliable friend---food. It was always there, when we were happy, sad, bored, whatever, we could turn to food. And now suddenly that friend is gone---and some poor ass replacement, is there....liquids??? Mushies??? what the hell kind of friend is that???? Anger is normal---and it too will pass!!!

Hang in there, come out and vent---it WILL get better!!!! Let me know if there is any way we can help you through this stage---

Welcome to both bandland, and LBT~ we are no different than you---and you will get past this!!

Kat

I was banded 12/13/06 and I have minimal to no restriction, like you. I was on full liquids for a week, then mushies for 2 days and then on to solids 10 days after surgery. I have had no problems tolerating solids. I eat way more than 2/3 of a cup per sitting without any problem (probably 2-3 cups). I saw my surgeon on 1/2/06 and he didnt see any problems with this since I dont have a fill yet (not to mention that I have still averaged a 1 pound per day weight loss since my surgery). He was more concerned with how long after I ate did I feel hungry again which I told him about 5 hours. I should also mention that my lap band is the largest one they have based on the size and thickness of my stomach which is probably why I havent had much restriction. I am looking forward to my first fill on 1/16/06 so my intake will go down. But what I like so much about the lap band procedure as oppossed to gastic bypass is that I feel that I can ease into the life style change where with GB, the change is immediate and harsh. Hang in there and dont beat yourself up too much for eating more than you should. The fill should take care of that.

I agree, hang in there, after your first fill you will probably have some restriction (but not a lot). Try to remember that this is a process and it takes time for it to kick in and do its thing the way its intended.

As for not feeling your port, I have lost 2 dress sizes and over 30 pounds. I STILL can't feel my port, don't let that concern you, its in there somewhere and the Dr will be able to find it when he needs to.

Leah, be easy on yourself. You band isn't officially working. It works when you have fills. Right now what you are experiencing is preband hunger and fullness. You will feel better after you have a fill or a couple. Keep the faith, it does get better. I gained 6 lbs when I went on solids but quickly took it off after I had optimal fill level. Please be patient. The band does work. You may need more than 1 fill as well. Good luck.

Re-Read Kats response! I think she hits it right on the money!

Man oh man am I glad I found this board before my surgery!

OK ..HAD MY SURGERY DEC 5TH EVERYTHING WAS GOING GOOD TILL I WENT TO MUSHIES...THAT'S WHEN ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. IT SEEMS THAT I CAN EAT AND EAT AND EAT AND NOT GET FULL. (WILLPOWER NOT WORKING) PLUS, I CAN'T FEEL MY PORT SO I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S MY FAT STOMACH GROWING OR WHAT. I HAVE PEOPLE AT WORK ASKING ME IF I SHOULD BE EATING THAT. :( I DON'T GET MY FIRST FILL TILL JAN 10TH SO I'M HOPING THAT WILL HELP. IS THIS ALL WORTH IT??

PISSED OFF PERSON IN CALI

First off, I feel for you! This is one of the hardest times of being banded. You want to get on with losing weight already, but you need to heal first. I read on this board once about where you are is that you now have your tool, but it hasn't been turned on yet so it's not yet working.

I couldn't feel my port for a couple of months, then one day in the shower I realized that I could.

Yes, this is all worth it. Once you get to a good level(and it might take more then one fill) you'll "get it".

Oh, and for the people at work, you might try something like "You're so sweet to be concerned for me, but of course I'm following my dr's orders as to what to eat".

Hang in there. You have gotten good information and advice. I woke up hungry the day of my surgery. I never had the swelling that others had that made them not want to eat. The healing process was the hardest time because I wanted to eat yet had to go through the stages. In week 4 I was allowed solids. I had to exercise some self control as there was no restriction.

My fills have been fickled at best. I don't know how I'll react until about 6-10 days after a fill. For me its not the amount in the band, but the amount they put in at any one time. I am one who can't tolerate a large fill. So for me its baby steps to find restriction.

Hang in there it will get better. For now, just smile at co-workers and do what you are supposed to be doing based on your doctor's order. You will see results.

You are experiencing an absolutely normal period of post-wls. You have a band inserted but not yet 'turned on.' You are just recovering from surgery and healing and getting ready for your lifestyle change.

Your hunger can be decreased by drinking some good quality Protein supplements....the hi protein/lo carb kind.....you need 80-100 gr/day of Protein altho you may not be able to hold that much just yet, you should aim for that. It can be drunk or stirred into puddings, etc. It will satisfy and keep your strength up.

Best wishes......

Hang on! Be sure you're getting enough Protein in--it'll help you not be so hungry. My doc advised 15 grams of mushy protein four times a day (scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, tuna, canned chicken, etc.). If you have room after that, you can have mushy fruits and veggies. Carbs were on the bottom rung of the ladder. Hope this helps!