Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch Dilation?

I would think you are right on track. As long as you are still loosing the weight. Some things go through the band easier than others. And those processed frozen dinners are the easiest thing in the world for me. I can eat a small Lean Cousine not a problem. My hubby laughes b/c I tiell him I have to stay away from the Lean Cousine!

AngieM, just read your post. Maybe we should start a rededication thread for the next month.

I'm in on a thread like that. In fact I was thinking that same thing...that maybe other folks who've had their band a year or more might be cheating a bit...stuffing the pouch....seeing weight loss slow down...and need a kick in the bootah to get back on track.

I know for me...I haven't been hanging out here much...too much stuff going on in my life and so coming back here the past couple days has already helped.

Glad I read all this. Thanks for sharing you guys, I'm going to be extra careful from now on.

And by the way, welcome AngieM. I'm glad you found us.

I'm in on a thread like that. In fact I was thinking that same thing...that maybe other folks who've had their band a year or more might be cheating a bit...stuffing the pouch....seeing weight loss slow down...and need a kick in the bootah to get back on track.

I know for me...I haven't been hanging out here much...too much stuff going on in my life and so coming back here the past couple days has already helped.[/quotte]

Sounds good to me. If you start one can you let me know? Thanks!

I am also scared of stretching my pouch and i do take it for granted. Its like I just eat and drink all day long but I cant take the pain so when the pain comes on the food just comes right back up so its a viscious cycle for me. I spend more time in the bathroom sick then anything else. This is real sad and dangerous i am aware but its so hard to control, its like i never get that full feeling just a i am gonna be sick feeling and thats my day in a nut shell. Well I am gonna go back to basics and start on liquids again for a couple days cause when i say i am sick for me its like 10-20 times a day anytime i try to eat. Also need to get looser I am just in love with my weight lose and wanna go down another 17 pounds.

This is a battle but hopefully this to shall pass.

Good luck to all

Cheryl

May22nd2006-215

today-157

I have been going threw the exact same thing lately. Up until about a month ago I was feeling full after a small meal. I feel restriction, but don't seem to be getting full. I just seem to eat all day. I figure I'm either stretched or I need a fill. I know I been eating more than I should, so now I'm worried. I too started drinking with my meals a while back, I will stop now. I'm a little confused though. My doc told me to eat until I'm satisfied and we would adjust the fills accordingly, but I read that some docs say 1 cup only. ???

Ladies, what can I say, I am guilty of all of the above, and that may be one of the reasons I've hit a plateau for the past 3 months. Not to mention I also need a fill. I can easily eat a 10 oz. Lean Cuisine plus 2 oz yogurt. In addition to that, I've been having a burning sensation in my stomach, and that has me worried.

Well with all this info I guess I need to wake up and smell the roses. I have 2 more weeks before I go back to the Dr offiice and see if the pouch has gone back down to where it should be..I hate being unfilled. But overall I have been eating soft foods so it will shrink back down.. I just hope I dont put on to many more pounds.. thanks all for the good inputs

This is exactly what I was doing. now I need to stay unfilled for another 2 wks then go back to TJ and see if I am back to normal or not. IF NOT then I dont know the Dr. is going to do:help:

Diane

I believe pouch dilation is something that occurs over a period of time. I have had this twice (both very recently) and it occurred when I was over 2 years out from being banded and had been 'cheating' regularly for at least a year. Cheating as in drinking with my food to eat more, eating too fast and consuming large amounts of liquid at one time very quickly. Also, my band was far too tight which contributed greatly to this problem.

After a few complications and a minor surgery (with my port - NOT related to the dilation issue), it scared me enough to go back to following the rules. The alternative was a slippage which would have been devastating both financially and emotionally for me.

The major symptom I had from my dilation was being able to eat noticeably more, and constant severe reflux.

It certainly pays early on to form good habits and stick to them or you may suffer severe consequences down the road. I took my band for granted and thought I could push it and push it and not look after it and I got a big warning.

Hope this info helps you and good luck on your journey :)

Suzie

I have been away from the forum for a while, but have been concerned over the last few days enough, to re-visit. I will join the confession pool of admitting to eating too much, and like Marlluvia I have been having a burning sensation in my stomach. Does anyone have any explanantion? I have put myself back on liquids for 3 days, and then I will go back to mushies to see if that helps.

I had surgery in TJ May of 2006, and had post op care lined up where I was living, but I have had to relocate for work. So now I am trying to locate a surgeon to provide care in or near Gainesville, FL.

Thanks to all of you for being willing to share and provide insight.

HI,

You are worrying way too much. You cannot stretch a pouch by drinking liquids quickly. ONe large meal wont cause pouch dilation either. It takes some time to do this with chronic overeating and pouch packing. In defense of myself (diagnosed with this problem) I was not aware I was eating more than I should since I did not have signs that are commonly associated with pouch dilation such as reflux. I just started to eat a little more every day and my band was not telling me to stop, so now I measure my food. No more than 4 to 5 ounces of meat and less than a cup of veggies per meal.

Babs in TX

334/190 ish

I was just banded last week and my book says the pouch only holds about a fourth cup of food at one time. (solid food). other reading says 1/4 to 1/2 cup. That is only 2 to 4 oz. ????????????? How can you get that much meat and veggies in there at one time without dialating the pouch? I'm new at this. thanks

I have never heard about it stretching normally so we can eat more later. Has anyone else heard this? I only know about the .25-1 cup limit. I am on my 2nd fill and there's a lot more burning this time. For example, I just had a crab cake- about 1/4 cup at most- and it burns after a bite or two. Soup goes down well, of course, but not much else in a more solid form feels good. I probably just need more time since it was just Friday that I was filled again.

It starts out very small, it will get a little bigger with time. With time you can eat up to 1 - 1 1/2 cups of food. That's all you need.

This is why you take a Multivitamin especially in the beginning.

I had pouch dilation. Everyone called it a prelude to a slip. SCARED ME TO DEATH!!!!!!!

I did two weeks of liquids (slim fast, Protein shakes) to let my stomach rest. Then I did two weeks of soft foods (creamy Soups, Protein shakes, avocados, cottage cheese). My heartburn went away within days and my pouch went back to normal size. I know this because I have good restriction again (I had lost all restriction).

I only drink a Protein shake for Breakfast, small snack, then 1 1/2 cup of Protein and veggie for lunch, then a small snack and about a cup of protein and veggie again for dinner. Basically, I'm eating every 3 hours to keep my metabolism going and it really helps to keep me from "starving". Also, LOTS OF Water between eating.

Now I am being soooooo careful cuz gurrrrls - it's too dangerous!

welllllll, I am 6 days post op. Went to my first support group meeting last night. They reconfirmed about the amount the pouch holds...1/4 cup of solid food. Of course the more put in it will stretch (dialate) it. The reason for all liquid after surgery is so NOT to put pressure on your new small stomach above the band. They overlay the tissue over the band and put a few stitches. The tissue will then adhere to the band. Much safer when it is adhered or absorbed to the band to keep from slippage. It is VERY fragile to start with. Your chances for slippage can still happen anytime the band is challenged but is much better when it is allowed a few weeks to heal properly. That is why firstliquids, then pureed, then soft foods or mushies, THEN, slow transition to solid foods. This isn't what every doctor has you do but it is the plan that my doc does. Also have read the same plan from the band manufacturers. Think it is pretty safe. Hard to follow but safe. I choose safe. That plan is over in 4 weeks with intro to solids on the fifth. I am in the process right now. Whew! On week four it says no more than 1/2 cup food at a time, so i think that is the max. Of course you should follow your docs orders, I am.