Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 years after VSG I need a total knee replacement

Wow' date=' God is good and my prayers are w u honey. Very bad me and I've been told I can't get replacement until I'm 65 I am 43 and I'm in a lot of pain all the time. So I was talking in church today about my knees being replaced but also I am pre op for the vsg. So I was discussing it with my daughter pertaining to the knee surgery and I told her that I think I should have my VSG surgery first nd have the knees replaced afterwards. She thinks that I should have my knees done first because they know how bad I hurt. But I think the reasons for the doctors not wanting to do my knees is because I am overweight and they keep saying lose some weight and exercise, to help. Also they want to wait until I'm 65 but I cannot hold out that long. I say that God is good because he brought me to this forum but I just saw and I think that confirms for me that I should wait until after the VSG surgery for the reasons that one of you stated which is, knee surgery is a hard surgery to recover from nd at least afterwards I will have so much less weight carry around. Good luck to you all and I thank God for all of you because now I have a better idea of what I need to do. I'm sorry that I could not give any input on what you should do but definitely tell your doctor about the VSG surgery. That way they can be informed on what needs to happen concerning anaesthesia also don't worry about what they think about you because they are not the ones who have to walk around with bad knees or the one who had to walk around with excess weight when you were heavy. As long as they give you the proper care concerning your knees and concerning VSG surgery, then that is what their job is and not to judge you! Their place is to be the best orthopedic surgeons there is out there that's why you came to them about your knee and NOT your weight! So God bless and good luck and I will keep you in my prayers and again thank you all for your stories! :-)[/quote']

I had my knee replaced at age 46 after having 4 previous surgeries on the same knee. My first doctor told me I would have to wait to age 57, but I was in severe pain and was having difficulty walking. I would suggest you find a new orthopedist, as the new knees last longer and are being performed on younger patients.

I was sleeved earlier this year at age 51 and as of today have lost 78lbs. The surgeon and the anesthesiologist should be aware of your medical history and will adjust as needed. I have had 6 surgeries in 6 years and this while hovering between 290 and 300lbs.

I had my knee replaced at age 46 after having 4 previous surgeries on the same knee. My first doctor told me I would have to wait to age 57' date=' but I was in severe pain and was having difficulty walking. I would suggest you find a new orthopedist, as the new knees last longer and are being performed on younger patients.

I was sleeved earlier this year at age 51 and as of today have lost 78lbs. The surgeon and the anesthesiologist should be aware of your medical history and will adjust as needed. I have had 6 surgeries in 6 years and this while hovering between 290 and 300lbs.[/quote']

Omgsh, u had some bad knees too! I've had 3 surgeries on one nd one on the other. We r military nd sometimes I feel they'd say nething to not help dependents, I mean if my hubby whose ad needed it, they'd make sure he'd get it! We spouses usually r a second thot. But yall r right, I will seek other ops bc its not fair to me or my family, I barely can even hobble, always in pain! Anyways, Ty 4 replying nd congrats on ur wl journey:)

The best way to put your mind at ease about the anesthesia is to make sure you choose the anesthesiologist with the most years experience and lowest mortality/complications stats. You will get the opportunity to meet with him or her before the procedure and make sure he/she (and your surgeon) is aware of your medical history and your concerns.

Good luck!

3 years after my VSG I find I need a total knee replacement. I am 65+ years of age. Very nervous about surgery because of the VSG and anesthesia. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Ps...idk if uve told ur surgeons about ur wls, if u haven't, then u shud...give them enuff time to do their part in learning about it nd tell them about ur concerns nd y. All surgeries are major, mostly due to anesthesia, so don't feel judged. U shud feel comfortable w ur choices. Tell them sooner than at the last minute, plz. Ok God bless you:))

BLKYNgal87 and DeezJeanz: thanks for the response. Yes, I'm going to talk to them about the VSG and that I have the vasalVagal since the VSG - I know what you mean about getting the best anesthesiologist - HOWEVER! generally you have no choice - your surgeon works with who he works with and who he is used to and insurance is another matter. I need to talk directly to all these physicians to put my mind at ease! And as far as explaining to them about the VSG - they have NO NO NO idea what a VSG is - it is so new that I always bring a diagram with me but they are too busy to look at it and again when they find out I had it in Mexico that are like raising their eyebrows!! But Y R Correct - I choose my Mexican Surgeon abnd he was excellent and I just need to "fess up"!! Thanks again!!

Yes' date=' I had the VSG on 10/31/12, and have lost 92 lbs so far. I don't think the knee replacements made the weight loss easier, but I am able to enjoy exercise and increased mobility much, much more. I think it is great to get the VSG surgery first, but if you are having lots of knee pain, no way should you wait until you are 65 to get them replaced. I can't even imagine that! When you are ready, I would consult with a different orthopedic surgeon.

My new knees do function a little differently, but it is worth it to me. I don't like to get on my knees for any reason now, but I can find alternate ways to get things done. The freedom from pain and increased mobility mean the world to me. Feel free to PM with any questions![/quote']

I've had both knees done, and I can not get on my knees at all, but like you, I can find other ways!and or my husband can help me! Knees done 10/10 - vsg -12/12

I had to have a tkr at 29. :( It sucks to have the restrictions on running, as that was something I enjoyed before I gained the weight. I had the left one done, and the right one needs to be done, but as I drop pounds I am seeing that the pain is better. I am still bone on bone, and will have the right one done, eventually. I will suggest inquiring about the smith and nephew knee, I have actually had my left knee done twice, the first time was a failed tkr. The implant failed and had to be replaced. I opted for the smith and nephew the second time, and it was a day and night difference.

You had the knee done twice - thats awful! How did you know that the knee needed to be revised? And what was it like the second time around?

BLKYNgal87 and DeezJeanz: thanks for the response. Yes, I'm going to talk to them about the VSG and that I have the vasalVagal since the VSG - I know what you mean about getting the best anesthesiologist - HOWEVER! generally you have no choice - your surgeon works with who he works with and who he is used to and insurance is another matter. I need to talk directly to all these physicians to put my mind at ease! And as far as explaining to them about the VSG - they have NO NO NO idea what a VSG is - it is so new that I always bring a diagram with me but they are too busy to look at it and again when they find out I had it in Mexico that are like raising their eyebrows!! But Y R Correct - I choose my Mexican Surgeon abnd he was excellent and I just need to "fess up"!! Thanks again!!

I agree - I have never had my choice of anesthesiologists - they work on a schedule, and you get who you get, unfortunately.

You had the knee done twice - thats awful! How did you know that the knee needed to be revised? And what was it like the second time around?

My knee would buckle about every 5th step. It was no longer tracking correctly, and did not support my weight at all. The second time around was actually much much easier. The first knee was a one size fits all kind of deal, the second was custom fit in the operating room by a rep from Smith and Nephew. So I think the proper fit played a HUGE part in my recovery.

Let me echo what a lot of people have said, and say getting the VSG first is probably a good idea.

My father just got out of hospital after having his 3 TKR in 5 years (and 4th surgery) on the same knee, so I'm feeling like a bit of an expert on this topic. His surgeon is the chief of surgery at the hospital, and doctors come from all over the world to study under him, so I think I can safely call him an expert, and he and I have had many conversations about why my dad is having so many problems. And weight is a big part of it. Also, poor blood glucose control. My dad isn't diabetic (yet), but eats too many carbs, and the doctor is 100% convinced that is why Dad's had two spontaneous infections. The sugar in the blood is a party for bacteria!

If you get your weight and blood sugar under control, you will have a much better result from the prosthetic knee. And getting your weight and blood pressure under control will result in a much lower risk anesthesia, with better post-op outcomes.

Shelle; SouthernSoul; Selena and Kimbernada: Thanks very much for responding. Issue I have is since my VSG for some reason I have this Vasal Vagal thing where under certain circumstances I pass out - sometimes if I eat something [that gives me diarrhea] or if I take a certain medication for pain, I will pass out. THis is what worries me - will I ever come out of the anesthesia? OF COURSE I will talk to the physicians about this - and NO I have no yet told them I have had the VSG because when I do most doctors seem to have a negative opinion of that - plus if/when they ask me where I had it (which was Mexico) they look at me like I'm nuts. (Thing is I could have had it in the U.S., but the Mexico Surgeon had more experience with tthe VSG - it was Dr. Aceves - he had more experience than most surgeons in the U.S. - he was excellent! Anyway: this has me very nervous and I appreciate being able to bounce this off of those who have done what I'vd done.

OP, I wouldn't worry about the vasovagal thing. That's a nerve in your abdomen getting triggered. It's not likely to happen during surgery. And if it does, well, surgical staff know how to deal with a dropped BP. Actually, the treatment is to lie the patient down...which you already will be! While I recognize that vasovagalling is uncomfortable and distressing to you, it's not actually that medically significant (unless you fall and hit your head!), and is easily and quickly resolved.

Anesthesia shouldn't affect it, and it certainly won't cause the anesthesia to last longer, or keep you from coming out of it. Don't worry!

(I see people vasovagal every day in my job, and honestly, we yawn when it happens. Again, I recognize it's awful for you, but it's not actually dangerous, and it fixes itself!)

Oh! And OP, I wanted to say, have hope for your doc to be understanding, people are coming around to all of this.

The worse response from a doc I've had is total indifference, and the best was a doctor that shook my hand and congratulated me for taking the initiative to do something proactive about my weight -- a busy ER doc, he sat down and picked my brain about why and how I made my decision, and did it all in front of a med student, who now has learned to respect people who've had WLS. And, he was well informed about Mexico, and didn't judge me for getting it done there!

(Unfortunately, I think I'll be working with the med student in the future, and now he's seen me naked AND knows my deepest, darkest secret. Funny, he was handsome, so this bothers me, while the doctor was old and gristled, and it doesn't....weird how that works,lol.)

Oh! And OP' date=' I wanted to say, have hope for your doc to be understanding, people are coming around to all of this.

The worse response from a doc I've had is total indifference, and the best was a doctor that shook my hand and congratulated me for taking the initiative to do something proactive about my weight -- a busy ER doc, he sat down and picked my brain about why and how I made my decision, and did it all in front of a med student, who now has learned to respect people who've had WLS. And, he was well informed about Mexico, and didn't judge me for getting it done there!

(Unfortunately, I think I'll be working with the med student in the future, and now he's seen me naked AND knows my deepest, darkest secret. Funny, he was handsome, so this bothers me, while the doctor was old and gristled, and it doesn't....weird how that works,lol.)[/quote']

Hahahaha, too funny;) and Tysm for ur info about the tkr nd I pray that ur dad will have better results this time. , Dee Dee

Gailjingal: Thanks for yoru great responses - you and all of the others have put me more at ease. My surgery is a couple of months away, but I'm needing resassurance and I appreciate it from those of you who have responded. I'm just tryng to think this through and hoping for no complications. Thanks again everyone -

I had my knees replaced 4 years ago at age 42' date=' so I was pretty young for the surgery. Be prepared to have no appetite afterwards, which is totally normal. I am not sure how much, but I did lose a fair amount of weight post op, but unfortunately gained it back over time (pre VSG). I thought it was a very tough surgery, to be honest, but worth it[/quote']

Me too