Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Replacing food with other addictions? Sleevers 6 months and beyond?

I've had my psych, and physical evaluation and both were positive indicating I'd be a good candidate for gastric sleeve. I'm an ex lap band person, recently de-banded on 6/20/13. I'm working on my plan of care to accomplish sleeve surgery early to mid-September 2013.

Today is 4th of July 2013. I sit here as the smells of brisket deliciously waft through the air, with my favorite red wine in a beautiful German crystal wine glass, listening to jazz. I wonder how I will redirect my bad habits post sleeve. I'm reading lots of self help books that talk about recognizing the triggers that would lead me to make bad choices. I'm wondering what will make me realize that I'm in an episode and be able to snap out of it, I.e., make a choice to redirect my attention to something else?

For now, I'm looking forward to my adult children arriving so we can enjoy a wonderful meal together. . .

What do you do? How does one train oneself to recognize bad behavior and redirect to something positive?

Im 7 months out today. It is still hard for me when it comes to food. Just like today, BBQ and delicious Desserts every where and you think to yourself maybe just one bite wont hurt. Then I realize I am not the type of person who can have just one bite. It is have it all or nothing. I have had to revaluate why I want the food to begin with and how am I gonna feel after I eat it. Alot of problems I face is head hunger, Im not even hungry but I still want it.

Most people feel like they are not gonna diet after being sleeved but for me it has to be a diet or I will lose control and start eating the wrong foods which will eventually cause weight gain and poor nutriction. You just have to take a step back and realize what kind of food addict you are. Can you survive with a small taste or are you like me who wants it all? Good luck, I am proud to say I have no regrets being sleeved, it has taught me alot about myself and who I want to be.

I was worried about cross-over addictions while I was researching as well. I do know a few people that had WLS and ended up dealing with alcohol problems. However, I quit drinking 5 years ago because I was uncomfortable with my drinking habits. When I made the decision to get the sleeve last Fall, I decided that I wasn't likely to have a crossover problem with alcohol, since I don't drink (and didn't plan to start). I was sleeved March 18th of this year, and I am very thankful that drinking is not on my option list these days. Can't go cold-turkey like that on food, unfortunately. Instead, you just really have to re-frame how you think about food - I try to look at it only as fuel, not as a pleasure thing.

Oh yeah and as for the croossover addiction, I dont have one. I just decided to become obnoxious about what to eat,measuring and adding tons of flavor so I wont miss the salt,sugar and fat.

Thanks for this thread. I had a small panick this morning as I am pre-sleeve and worried If I will crave and cave in to my cravings. This is exactly why I'm going forward with the sleeve, so I will be able to resist the binges. I know it won't cure my thinking, but from most of what I've read, it seems like it will be better. I really want to loose the weight!

You will do great. Just remember your will power can be stronger than the head hunger. Also after being sleeved you will notice that food taste completely different. Like any can food like green Beans, corn or whatever (to me) it taste like the can and the salt flavor is overpowering. Now chocolate is a different story lol, it taste great before and even better now. I have to stay away from it, it is my crack so to speak lol.

You will do great. Just remember your will power can be stronger than the head hunger. Also after being sleeved you will notice that food taste completely different. Like any can food like green beans' date=' corn or whatever (to me) it taste like the can and the salt flavor is overpowering. Now chocolate is a different story lol, it taste great before and even better now. I have to stay away from it, it is my crack so to speak lol.[/quote']

Thanks so much for your feedback! I appreciate the support I get here. I think I'm getting addicted to this site!