Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits January Challenge

Shhhhh......be very, very quiet......my scale actually moved, and I don't want it to realize it!!! It is only a pound, but, it had not moved at all...up or down even half a pound in over a month! Well a few fluctuations, but repeatedly in the AM at my usual weigh in, there is sat 208.5......this morning the 8 was a 7!!!!

I am fine with keeping our challenge where we sit. I have managed to exceed it this month, but that is kind of a mental boost! Although unlike Boo---and I may have totally been messing up my count, but I count my walking.

It is hard to fit more days into the month that is a fact!!! And this coming month is a short one anyway.... I too find it hard to whittle out time to go work out, with babysitting for my DGD, it is hard, I either find someone to keep her, or find a way of "exercising" that includes her. Which is why we do our marathon walks. It has made a big difference in my exercise commitment this month with my DH and I begining to lift weights. We do not lift over a long enough period of time for them to be counted, but I know I am doing it---which helps my frame of mind! Plus a friend on another challenge has challenged us all to at least walk some each day---we are logging how much each of us walk...and she is going to total it, out of simple curiosity. But it keeps me doing something. I always try to err on the side of not counting a day, if my time is not long enough...and sometimes, there is just no way to get the extra 5-10 minutes I need for it to count. As has been pointed out tho, it is encouraging just knowing I was moving, and it is making a difference! Even if it is one stinking pound at a time!!!

I don't think I am ready for a fill, I think my body was just adjusting or something. I cannot eat a lot, and when I eat, I remain full for several hours....if anything I need to tweak what I am eating, but I have been concentrating more on nutritional balance as opposed to losing. On the plus side, I have fully convinced myself that when the glorious day comes that I achieve goal weight, I can eat a healthy comfortable diet, and maintain without issue. That thought worried me---and I have proven I can do that!!!

Just a thought, maybe you runners can add a side challenge---each of you take a week, and challenge the others to "keep up". Keep it realistic, both running, and time wise, but change it up....and it would help you to work towards your marathon goals. And the rest of us can cheer you on!!!

Time to go and stoke the fire---it feels chilly!!!

Have a great Friday---the weekend is upon us!!!wooohooo

Kat

Our ultimate goal is 20 sessions a month for 45 minutes each session, and we'll get there by April

Julie, I would very much like to stay with the goal that you stated in Post #1 of this month's Challenge, namely, 20 sessions a month for 45 minutes each by April. We're all in this thread because we want to challenge ourselves to exercise regularly, so LET'S DO IT! Ideally, we would all exercise daily. But since that's not a realistic goal, it seems to me that two-thirds of that is a good goal: 18 for February, 19 for March, 20 for April.

April 2006 Bandits January Challenge: 22 days of exercise completed

For me, the difficulty has been the days, rather than the time. I would rather increase the days gradually as per Bluehill's post. I am willing to go along with whatever the majority wants and I'll just do my best to keep up.

Julie: I don't see how you could pass up such a great opportunity..go for it!! I'm bummed...the scale has not moved this month. I'm wondering if it's due to my falling behind in my Water intake. If been drinking a lot of green tea at least 64oz and maybe I need to include more water. Today I've started drinking more water and less green tea. Arizona makes a no carb green tea that is a combination of apple and white cranberry....I'm addicted to it. It is delicious! Kat: I'm glad your finally seeing some movement on the scale.

Roberta

Okay guys.... I need your help. I had a great... just amazing run on the weekend. I actually ran for 1.5 k without stopping. It was so great. I ran 2.5 k before hand in intervals and I just rocked. So of course the next day I said I am going to run again (and the weather was great) so I ran and I ran so well and so carefree... I actually thought of myself as a runner. I did about 2.5 k straight and then... somthing starting hurting in my knee and I had to stop and walk home (which was still 1.5 km). So I am totally depressed and freaked out that I couldn't run today and scared that I will loose momentum.

As well, I usually bounce up on the weekend (seems my routine) so of course this morning I was up 1.5 lbs so now I am angry about that too.

Also, there are no fitness people here so I don't know how long I should take a break. I would like to try and run again tomorrow... maybe just 5 minute intervals...

As you can see my totally normal upbeat go get em self is hiding today... and I need some support.

HELP!!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/ 206(I am so angry)/ 179

Dawn, are you experiencing any swelling? Are you able to bend your knee without pain? Are you having any pain with stair climbing or walking? If it's no to all, then I would try and give the knee a break from running for at least a couple of days. Sorry....hopefully it's a minor set back. You still rock in my book!

Roberta

Thanks Ceparano!

I have no swelling and very little pain... some minor discomfort that is all. I am thinking about trying to walk and run a little tomorrow and if it hurts I will stop immediately. What do you think??

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/207/179

I think I'm over cautious because I've had to have knee surgery due to repeated falls. I'd check with the runners in our group. I'd stick to walking for at least a day and then try a run. I'm sure your fellow runners will have better ideas.

Sorry Dawn I have no advice, but I sure can empathize. Ever since my fall on the ice on the porch, my knee is in serious pain. Straight or bent, it is fine, it is the act of bending that has me gasping. Same pain I had with the accident, and the torn meniscus. Same knee too, I had it operated on just over a year ago, and it feels like I ruined what I had done. The bruising is still worse on the other knee--which has been operated on as well---but there is no pain in it. It has sidelined me. I can walk with minimal pain, not enough to make me even think about it, but steps---ouch. Has kept me from Curves, has kept me from my exercise ball routine, all kinds of things--DH wanted to make a quick motorcycle run (to keep the battery charged up etc.), and I always go---I love it, but the angle of the bend to ride----I got back off and stayed home. It is depressing me big time.

I am also contemplating going back to work. I was offered a job, and am just at the point of weighing my options. Will make a decision within the next week or so.

For now I am doing my best to watch my food intake, and to move as much as I can without bending! We are still lifting weights every other night, and I did some extra last night, plus did some crunches...all kinds of silly movements to keep my heart rate up for awhile. Will do some walking today---trying to wait out the pain, and hope it eases up----thinking positive!

Will check back later---hope everyones week is off to a great start!

Kat

Geez Kat, I didn't know we had the same issues. I also tore my meniscus in my right knee, and had surgery. The arthritis is so bad in my knee that the surgery didn't put me back to "normal". Too much walking or certain exercises that require a lot of knee bending will cause pain and my knee to swell .I understand completely how that simple fall has impacted your daily life. As far as the exercise is concerned, you can only do what you can do. Hang in there.

Roberta

Dawn,

I'm so sorry for your knee injury. I would take at least 2 days off then SLOWLY start to run your intervals again. Your intervals are probably better for you in terms of weight loss anyway because they keep your heart rate up steadily over a long period of time, instead of running a long interval then walking a long interval.

The one thing I know is that if it hurts AT ALL, don't run on it. Don't run through the pain of an knee injury -- you'll be setting yourself up for a much longer recovery. Wait until the pain is totally gone then ease back into it. That's much beter than risking a serious injury.

I've not had an injury yet, so I can't speak from too much personal experience. Maybe Boo will have more advice for you.

Don't worry -- this is going to be fine and you'll be back on your routine in no time.

Hi Dawn! I'm sorry about your knee, but that just happens sometimes. You did the absolute right thing to STOP. Last week I was running home on my favorite stretch (like a horse headed for home), when I felt a sudden pain. Immediately, I stopped and tried to walk it out, but it still hurt. So I walked towards home. The pain seemed intense enough for me to fear having torn something. But after walking about five minutes, I felt fine.

It is really important to ice an injury during the first 24 hours. Then you can alternate ice and heat, add massage, and stretching. What did I learn from my little scare? Don't push too hard when you are feeling really good. Don't run a greater distance than logical. AND add some strength exercises. You can get those wide rubber bands and set it up so you sit in a chair and bend/flex your knee with resistance AND then afterwards, straighten with resistance. Also, riding the stationery bike is excellent therapy for your knee. It seems the modern thinking is to continue to work it, just maybe don't run on it IF IT HURTS. Knee and back pain are just plain SCARY!

I don't always feel it is best for me to run two nights in a row. I change it up every other day.

Can I share some great news? My brother competed in an international ski race in Italy over the weekend. He won a silver AND a bronze medal (in two different slalom events)! Three years ago he nearly died in a skiing accident, and this was his first race back, so we are all excited! My weight-loss and running stepped up his workouts. He has always been one to show me up! Greatest brother in the world, but very competitive!

I used to race him, but ALWAYS wound up :D place.

OH! The other thing I forgot is that whenever you have knee or ankle pain when running, you are supposed to check on your shoes. It might be time to get a new pair!

Boo,

Congratulations to your brother! That's very exciting that he was such a winner on his first competition in such a long time. How wonderful that YOU inspired HIM this time around.

As for me, I got in my gym time today. It was supposed to be my day to run, but I did 60 min on the elliptical instead because I've reading Obama's book on the bus and I was so engrossed in it that I wanted to keep on reading. I can't read and run at the same time, but I can read and ellipticise (new word). A funny thing happened tonight. I live on the 4th floor of my building and I wasn't paying attention tonight and I accidentally walked up to the 5th floor! Meaning, stairs are now such a non-event that I passed my floor without noticing! A year ago, I'd have had to have paused 3 times on the way and counted the steps to my door, panting all the way....

And speaking of last year...

I've been thinking about something I've never seen on this forum before and I wanted to see what you all thought. I've been giving a lot of thought to the components of long-term weight loss success and, as you all know, one component is support, like what we get on LBT (and, for me, more specifically, on this thread, as I find the smaller group more rewarding). Well, you know how every month there's a thread for the upcoming surgeries? Like, now, there are January and February bandster threads. So, in a couple of months, there will be an April bandster thread, and it won't be us (weird)! Anyway, I was thinking we might want to start an April Bandster Mentor thread, or something like that. We could offer to "adopt" the April 2007 bandsters and be there for them along their journey, from pre-op to whenever it dies down (I envision it being several months -- 6-8 or so, then, if we want to, we can invite them into our ongoing exercise challenge, collapsing it back into one thread). They would benefit form our experience in having a year's head start. We would benefit from it, as well, by being reminded of the true bandster rules through their early experiences, and staying plugged into new bandster developments. For me, it wouldn't be that much of a commitment to check 2 threads (I peruse some of the others on the forum, but don't seriously follow any but this one and, actually, I like it that way).

What do you think? Is that something any or all of you would be interested in contributing to in a few months (assuming the newbies are interested too, of course)?