Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've read many posts on here about drs orders to never have carbonation or caffeine again. I'm a die hard coffee snob. Must have several cups of GOOD coffee everyday to even function. My dr never said anything about coffee.

I've also read that caffeine causes ulcers and since my stomach will be so small, I can't tolerate ulcers. Now, it's been almost 20 yrs since nursing school but I'm pretty sure that in the 90's it was proven that a bacteria (why people with ulcers are given antibiotics) caused ulcers, not diet or stress. If this is the case, why would we have to not drink caffeine?

And for those of you who say "switch to decaf", you have no clue what being a coffee addict is all about. Decaf isn't REAL coffee. Btw, neither is Folgers, IMHO! :)

Whats the real scoop on coffee?

Depends on the doctor and patient! I have coffee every day without problem - started drinking it in my first week post-op. My NUT doesn't care as long as the coffee doesn't interfere with my ability to get protein/liquids/vitamins in each day! Mmmmm coffee :)

At my clinic they don't want you drinking it before and a few weeks after surgery. Not a problem for me because I don't drink soda,coffee or energy drinks.< /p>

I was allowed coffee with caffeine before and Day 1 post op after surgery. No prob at all with it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I drink coffee as a treat. It's my fun thing to do.

Drink it as soon as you feel comfortable with it. I know alot of people have issues with foods they loved before and after surgery they don't like it.

coffee is not a dire need for me. Caffeine can dehydrate you so you need to be VERY aware of that. You had better get in all your fluids and any thing with caffeine is not a "real fluid" Try to include Protein in it.

I look at life this way, Nothing is off limits, I put limits on everything.

Good luck

I have been putting vanilla protien shakes in my coffee as a substitute for Creamer, then I get some protien with it and don't feel as guilty :)

Disallowing caffeine, even in moderation is alarmist and unnecessary, IMO.

No, caffeine does not cause ulcers. H. pylori bacteria is the primary culprit. However, caffeine stimulates acid secretion (so do SO MANY other things) which can aggravate pre-existing ulcers. It may aggravate the still-healing sleeve, however, so it may be wise to wait a few weeks though I drank iced coffee since 5 days post-op and have had no problems.

There is such thing as drinking too much coffee, though. If you're one of those folks who drinks more than 2 cups a day pre-sleeve you may find yourself tormented by increased acid reflux post-sleeve. Doesn't sound fun to me.

Moderation is a beautiful thing!

Like I posted before I miss my diet coke I found a Water with caffeine in it! I can't give it up because I work overnight.

My NUT told me 64 oz of non-carbonated, caffeine free liquid a day. So if I listen to her then I just don't have room to get in caffeine LOL I made the switch to decaff with no Creamer .... It stinks but I'm getting use to it.

I have a little cup coffee every morning, with splenda and vanilla creamer! Mmmm no problems here and it makes me regular LOL!

I gave up a lot of things for this surgery and way of life..I was NOT giving up my 1 to 2 cups of coffee in the morning. I did wait until 6 weeks after surgery and I use Splenda and sugar free creamer in it. I also don't count it towards my fluid goals though.

I gave up a lot of things for this surgery and way of life..I was NOT giving up my 1 to 2 cups of coffee in the morning. I did wait until 6 weeks after surgery and I use Splenda and sugar free creamer in it. I also don't count it towards my Fluid goals though.

This ^

That's what I was going to say! But I'm to busy drinking my second cup :D

Oh but I do 1/2 Decaf Beans and 1/2 regular beans..

Let us know how it works out. I'm afraid I'll bounce off the walls if I have a full strength of coffee again. Or possibly sweat it all out LOL I use to go through a pot of coffee a day!

My doc said she was alright with me having 1 cup of coffee per day. My Dad's doc says 2-3 cups of coffee or tea is fine :-/ Wish I would have gone to him instead ;) j/k I totally need a jolt of caffeine in order to get my brain out of the morning fog, 1 cup seems to do the trick just fine.

My surgeon said 64oz uncaffeinated liquids and I struggle with that amount but I can't function without tea. (I'm English, you understand) I try to have a cup of Water for every cup of tea. Haven't had any issues with reflux except when I ate a ham, mushroom and onion omelette last week.