Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

INTRODUCTIONS-please introduce yourself here before going to another thread

Juli - 8 months and 97 lbs lost! You sure must be doing something right! Keep up the work. You're inspiring me as I go through all the paperwork stages. I have my first surgeon appt on November 30th. Its becoming more real just thinking about meeting him.

Hi Special K,

I want to say I followed all the rules. And truth is I did/do most of the time. Right now I'm have a tough go of it.

Be prepared for some emotional ups and downs with the band. It's the best thing in the world, getting the band. I can't tell you how happy I am with it. But there are times where you get tired and pouty and you just have to deal with emotional stuff food used to smother.

I'm having one of those periods now. But I know well enough that it will pass. :)

Keep us posted on your progress.

Hi Lisa,

My name is Jessica. I am from a small town outside of Dayton and I was also banded by Dr. Clarey. I love my band and it was the best thing I could have ever done. Anyways I hope you got approved. I had to self pay, but I am just glad to have been able to afford to do it! It was the best thing I could have ever done. Good luck! I had the band 8/13/07 and I have lost 69lbs to date.

Okay I guess that wasn't the greatest introduction but here it goes:

My name is Jessica and I have been obese most of my life. I don't remember ever being thin. I am married and have two children. I am a full time college student in Dayton Ohio. I actually live in a small town about 15 minutes from Dayton. I was banded on August 13, 2007. Two days before I turned 30. I was 349 at my highest. I am currently at 280, and that has been a great difference. I am 6 pounds away from my lowest weight in almost 5 years. I am excited to start losing the weight. I belong to a ladies gym and I chat a lot on here for most of my support because of my children and my schedule. I am thankful to be banded, I was a self pay because of an exclusion. I tried for four years to have WLS Surggery and finally it happened for me. I am so thankful! I can't wait to continue losing and become the person I want to be on the outside instead of just on the inside. I would also like to never hear, "Your face is so pretty," ever again for as long as I live. I want the whole body. I don't need to be as skinny as a rail but I am tired of the fat. I was suffering from early signs of orthopnea and ankle edema, asthma, esophageal reflux, and probably diabetes as well I just refused to go get check for it. I am thankful that since a month after surgery my ankles are not swelling any more I can sleep without coming out to the recliner, no more headaches in the middle of the night and I am definitely not as tired. I can't tell anyone enough how having the band has changed my life.

I am so thankful to hear you say how you started at around 349 as that's pretty close to where I am and I can't wait until I get past the ankle swelling thing where my socks leave indentations around my ankles. Its encouraging to hear how positive you are about the change its made in your life.

I got my MBA at the University of Dayton but mostly completed classes here in Columbus and only drove to Dayton a few times. The graduation ceremony at the UD arena building was a blast - silly string flying all over and just a great party atmosphere. I was debating on whether to go to graduation or just have my diploma mailed to me and I'm glad I went.

I have a first appointment with my surgeon this week and clearance doctor appts with cardiologist and psychologist also this week. I'm not a fan of having to disrobe at doctors offices, I don't think anyone who is seriously overweight does, but I know this is part of the process.

SpecialK,

Congratulations on your upcoming appointments. I know how hard it is to disrobing but just remember soon there will be a day when your not so ashamed of your body! I know it's hard but the one thing to know is that people all have different struggles, ours just happens to be the weight, and atleast we are standing up to face the challenge to not live our lives the way we have been. Other people continue to develop bad habits and we are learning how to fix ours. We are on our way to having new lives! I do know all about the ankle edema. It was horrible. Now after losing just 69lbs. I am not having any more problems with my ankles, I wish you lots of blessings as you move toward the band!

The appointments this week went fine. I liked Dr. Price and just need to get through the cardiology and psych clearance steps and he said he'd send a letter to the insurance company to see if they will approve. It would be an answered prayer if they made me do less than 6 months of the nutrition counseling but we'll see.

SpecialK

The 6 months seem daunting and I cried when I was told I needed to do it. I pouted and stomped my foot too. But if it is required of you try to find the blessing in it. You can take the time to better understand why you eat the way you do and prepare to say goodbye to food as it used to be. Or something like that...:girl_hug:

I certainly resented the classes, but they ended and eventually I got the surgery and it all happened in good time.

Glad to see your appointments went well.

J

So does anybody have get together's wouldn't it be fun to get a group of all of us together. I don't usually do support groups because there in the evening but I would love to get a group of Ohio bandsters together like maybe once every three months? If someone is interested I would totally help organize it. I am in the Dayton Area. I can get anywhere pretty quick and would love to meet and discuss what weightloss has done for us. I think it would be an encouragement to all of us!

I have been banded for four months and I am down on my count from 349 to 275, on my scale. Docs are a little different but this is what I am going with... Anyways I also go to a local gym in the Dayton area if anyone needs a good workout partner! I am starting to see NSV's and I got on a pair of 22 Jeans today! Hoooraaaayyyyyy! These were my favorite jeans back in the day. I can't quite wear them out yet but they are on!!! So if anyone is interested in getting a solid lap band support group together or if there is one already I would like to sign up!!!

Thanks! Good luck everyone!

Jess30, I had tried to coordinate a Columbus area get together to be in January at Polaris Mall food Court but that was going to be on an evening. That sounds like a long drive for you but if you're interested, we'll keep posting once we settle for sure on a date and time. Some folks asked about maybe doing a weekend during the daytime. If that's better for you too, let us know.

I am about the same size now as you when you started your band journey so its so encouraging to me to see how great you've done. Congratulations.

Jess,

I'm expecting you're taller than me because everyone is...but my 22's are too big now.

I'm 5'2''.

Let me know if you're interested. I'll find a way to get them to you.

SpecialK,

That sounds awesome. I may not be able to do evenings but keep me posted. You just never know...Especially if you do a weekend thing. My hubby and kids could go shopping while I meet up with everyone.