Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extra large stomach organ

Ok, so had my sleeve done on June 25, and Dr told me that i had one of the largest stomach organ he head seen. I asked him if it was from over eating and stretched out and he said some people are born with bigger stomachs and no wonder i was overweight...I had even more hunger hormones than usual. Anyone else have this situation??

Wow! Freaky. Did he take a photo for you? I would love to see it. I have never heard of this, but it does make sense.

Well the sleeve took care of that now didn't it? Hehe....good luck on your journey! :)

I had my sleeve done Dec. 2011 and at my appointment with the Dr. 3 days later he too said "Your stomach was not just large, it was HUGH"

I just though it was from my overeating for so many years so I am glad to know that it may have just been that way all my life. I love having the sleeve and the control it gives me for portions and listen to my new much smaller stomach when it says I'm full.

I wish my surgeon had told me that---at least it would be validation for why I used to eat so dang much! hehe

Mine wasn't to the extreme that yours seems to have been, but yes, my stomach was much larger than would be expected of a person of my height. It was also LONG.. so because of that, my sleeve can hold more volume than many other people. The doctor used a 32 bougie and created a nice tight sleeve for me, but ain't nuttin' they can do about the length.. It really shouldn't make a difference overall though.. when all is said and done, my sleeve will be able to hold maybe an ounce or two more than a typical sleever...

My surgeon didn't say anything about my stomach, but my physiotherapist told me some people's stomachs are so long, they extend all the way down into the pelvis...so you have more ghrelin, and you NEVER get full enough to trigger the receptors at the top of the stomach that make you feel full. Those people don't stand much of a chance of dying skinny.

Sometimes I feel guilty about getting sleeved, and briefly buy into that "you took the easy way out" thing. But stuff like this reminds me that all our bodies are so different, some of us are bound to have got the short end of the stick. As a nurse, daily I observe the diverse relationships people have with food. Unfortunately, the way I react to food made me overweight. But if technology can assist me in being more like a "normal" person, why wouldn't I take advantage of that?

It's like someone nearsighted saying "Buying glasses is taking the easy way out. I'll just do it the natural way and bump into stuff for the rest of my life." To me, getting sleeved is like getting glasses, and having a whole new outlook on life!