Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else get sleepy?

Since my surg I get sleepy during the day and take a nap. It might be anything from 10 mins to an hour nap. I have the luxury of not working, so it's not a problem in that respect. Just very weird, because before surg, there's no way i could fall asleep during the day. The feeling hits me pretty quick and its overwhelming. My vit D is slightly low but everyhing else ok. My prot intake is good, too. Have any of you experienced this?

From what I have heard (I'm still pre op), I would be interested in your B12 level. That can zap your energy big time.

Are you taking an Iron supplement? I was sleeved 5 (maybe 6) weeks ago. A month after surgery I had no energy. Lack of energy (needing a nap) is one of the signs of Iron deficiency. I was taking a Multivitamin that didn't have iron because the one with iron I couldn't keep down after surgery. I went and bought an iron supplement at GNC & it has made all the difference in the world. I haven't needed a nap since. Before, I HAD to take a nap! Also I make sure to take the Bariatric Advantage D & sublingual B12. All three are supposed to help with maintaining energy.

Good Luck

Teresa

I got sleepy. I wasn't tired and I had energy, but I got sleepy. It was weird and I actually nodded off while driving. It doesn't happen anymore and I can't explain the causes, but it went away within a month for me.

Thanks to all for posts. Actually, i was taking B12 3x week, they told me to up it to daily abt 3 wks ago and i did. They've said nothing abt Iron, but I started it today because this sleepiness reminds me of when i was anemic many yrs ago. Hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks again!

SW 300 (10/25/12)

CW 228

F/51

5'10"

Thanks to all for posts. Actually' date=' i was taking B12 3x week, they told me to up it to daily abt 3 wks ago and i did. They've said nothing abt Iron, but I started it today because this sleepiness reminds me of when i was anemic many yrs ago. Hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks again!

SW 300 (10/25/12)

CW 228

F/51

5'10"[/quote']

Hi your sleepiness may not be related to lack of b12 or anemia at all. There are lingering affects from anesthesia when you have surgery,however it does pass.

When my husband had his surgery last year, he was sleepy all the time for the first few months. Whenever he would sit down for more than a couple of minutes, he would fall asleep. I had never seen him sleep so much. I think because the whole process is taking such a toll on your body that that is your body healing itself. Major surgery and then the quick weight loss is a lot to throw at your body all at once. I say go with flow and enjoy the naps!