Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved May 30 2013, can eat anything! Uh oh

I am 5'4, started bariatric Program at kaiser in October 2012, I weighed 250. Was supposed to lose 20lbs before surgery and when I fell short they cancelled the surgery I had scheduled for January. After I realized that they were actually SERIOUS about the weight loss, I did HCG diet and got down to 225. When I had the surgery May 30 I weighed 219. No issues with surgery other than nausea from anesthesia. A cold rag on my neck kept my from vomiting but it wasn't easy. Some gas pain and incision pain but it wasn't that bad compared to 2 c sections and each day it got better. Was supposed to be on liquid diet for 2 weeks but only made it about 4 days before I started trying other soft foods like egg, etc. Nothing bothered me. In week 2 I tried meats and cooked veggies, and just chewed the heck out of everything, and I had no problems. I am nearly 3 weeks out and have tried a some of everything, from pizza to ice cream and even some wine. Was just curious to see if anything would upset my stomach. But so far I can pretty much eat or drink anything (just smaller amounts!). Am a bit relieved but also somewhat nervous since now I know that it's still going to take lots of willpower to lose the extra weight (its just a tool, as they keep telling me!). So far I have lost 14 lbs since the surgery, 45 lbs total. My goal is supposed to be 246, although I can't imagine that,, can't even remember weighing that EVER.... Just trying to take it day by day. Trying to get walks in, though I am still very tired and my stamina is nowhere near where it was. I work and 2 kids, 2 and 5, so they keep me busy! So far I am glad I had the surgery. I have to work on Portion Control, its easier than i thought to go over 1000 cal/day, A couple times I've eaten to much and felt overfull, still getting used to my new portion size. And head hunger is an issue. I am disappointed to say there are no foods that I used to like that no longer taste good, it's all just as tasty as it has always been... Except for coffee. Used to be die hard drinker but now I don't like it. But that could be because Decaf sucks? Not sure, haven't tried regular. Was on blood pressure meds but stopped since its gone down so much. Looking forward to raw veggies and salads. And shopping in the regular women's section, Whoo hoo!

I could eat just about anything 3-4 weeks out. My surgeon really wasn't that strict, he said if I was ready I would know it. Sometimes I wish I was like these other people who have different foods off limits to them, it would make things easier. Everyday is a work in progress.

I was sleeved almost 5 weeks ago and can't really get past the pureed stage yet. Some days I can tolerate a nibble or two of VERY moist meat, but then I am done for the day.

I don't want to sound judgy, but I know I am going to. Why are you pushing the limits of your sleeve so soon and why are you not following your surgeon's instructions? It sounds to me like you are sabotaging yourself.

Maybe you don't realize that you really are still in the high danger zone of having a leak. From what I understand, and I am sure I will be corrected, we are in the danger zone of leaks until 6 or so months out. Your doctor has a reason for telling you to eat foods in certain stages, not only for the health of your new stomach, but also for optimum weight loss.

If you are already choosing to eat pizza, drink wine, consume ice cream, etc. at just under three weeks, what results are you truly expecting from your sleeve? It can't do the work for you.

Lipsticklady is correct! you were not given the rules to follow NOT for them to be broken they were there because even tho you feel great and "CAN" eat all these foods, that is not a good thing. You could very much be damaging your staple line. and could def be in danger of a leak! You need to get back to basics and measure measure measure and DO NOT go over 2-3 oz at a time. You paid for a tool not a miracle...

sorry if this seems harsh...but I would hate that you do damage to yourself and see the results that you were expecting.

I am 5'4' date=' started bariatric Program at kaiser in October 2012, I weighed 250. Was supposed to lose 20lbs before surgery and when I fell short they cancelled the surgery I had scheduled for January. After I realized that they were actually SERIOUS about the weight loss, I did HCG diet and got down to 225. When I had the surgery May 30 I weighed 219. No issues with surgery other than nausea from anesthesia. A cold rag on my neck kept my from vomiting but it wasn't easy. Some gas pain and incision pain but it wasn't that bad compared to 2 c sections and each day it got better. Was supposed to be on liquid diet for 2 weeks but only made it about 4 days before I started trying other soft foods like egg, etc. Nothing bothered me. In week 2 I tried meats and cooked veggies, and just chewed the heck out of everything, and I had no problems. I am nearly 3 weeks out and have tried a some of everything, from pizza to ice cream and even some wine. Was just curious to see if anything would upset my stomach. But so far I can pretty much eat or drink anything (just smaller amounts!). Am a bit relieved but also somewhat nervous since now I know that it's still going to take lots of willpower to lose the extra weight (its just a tool, as they keep telling me!). So far I have lost 14 lbs since the surgery, 45 lbs total. My goal is supposed to be 246, although I can't imagine that,, can't even remember weighing that EVER.... Just trying to take it day by day. Trying to get walks in, though I am still very tired and my stamina is nowhere near where it was. I work and 2 kids, 2 and 5, so they keep me busy! So far I am glad I had the surgery. I have to work on Portion Control, its easier than i thought to go over 1000 cal/day, A couple times I've eaten to much and felt overfull, still getting used to my new portion size. And head hunger is an issue. I am disappointed to say there are no foods that I used to like that no longer taste good, it's all just as tasty as it has always been... Except for coffee. Used to be die hard drinker but now I don't like it. But that could be because Decaf sucks? Not sure, haven't tried regular. Was on blood pressure meds but stopped since its gone down so much. Looking forward to raw veggies and salads. And shopping in the regular women's section, Whoo hoo![/quote']

Have you asked yourself why you had this surgery?

Some that have this surgery will succeed some will fail, it does not come with a money (or stomach) back guarantee..

The sleeve will not jump out of your stomach and slap that crap out of your hand, you still have to make choices. Easier said than done I know.

You went through a lot to have this. I think about all the people that are sad and hurting that can't have this surgery and realize how blessed we are to have had this opportunity. This is quite frankly the last chance for us, don't squander it.

Find a counselor that specializes in food addiction and make the investment to make yourself healthy.

Back to basics but I understand. food addictions for all of us or we wouldn't needed the surgery. All mental friend.......

While I applaud your honesty in posting some of the food choices you've made in the early post-op stage, I echo some of the other posts that encourage you to do some soul-searching. As my surgeon says, "during the first 6 months you can lose weight in spite of yourself", and I am concerned that the choices you are making are going to leave you with a false sense of how many of our food "sins" the sleeve will overcome. There is a lot if work to be done to change the relationship we have with food, and, IMHO, the earlier you start addressing that, the better.

I think the most important thing is to give yourself time to heal. Although you can't see it from the outside, you have a long incision inside. If you don't give it time to heal, you are increasing your chance of having complications.

The second most important thing is to address your food issues. This surgery means you will be able to eat less, but you will be able to eat enough to never lose much weight and to gain as time goes by.

You are concerned, or you wouldn't have posted.

• Call Kaiser and see if you can meet with a Psych in the bariatric program.
  • Attend the face to face support group meetings at your local Kaiser.
  • Think about the reasons you had the surgery BEFORE you take the bite.
  • Dump the foods you shouldn't be eating, or if they have to be in the house, make a little cupboard and a shelf in the fridge just for you with foods you should be eating. Leave the other cupboards and fridge shelves alone.
  • Buy yourself a present.
  • Make time for yourself to heal and begin this new journey. You deserve it!

I find it amazing how differently people heal! I'm at about a month out, and still the mere thought of most foods makes me woozy and a little barfy. haha

I'm even newer than a newbie, as I havent had surgery yet. You are my first response to a post here. I am listening and learning.I have done alot of research but love hearing from real people who have done the sleeve. I like the results you have had, and I have hope after reading your post.I think I can do this. Good luck.I'll be around.

lou

I'm even newer than a newbie, as I havent had surgery yet. You are my first response to a post here. I am listening and learning.I have done alot of research but love hearing from real people who have done the sleeve. I like the results you have had, and I have hope after reading your post.I think I can do this. Good luck.I'll be around.

lou

I sincerely hope you do not make the OP an example.

Wow! I can't believe these harsh responses, though I guess you mean well... I am not concerned or looking for advice, just sharing my story for anyone looking for info as I did before I had the surgery. I have tried lots of foods but junk food is not my staple, I am just curious. My surgeon told me just to do what works for me, and if something doesn't agree I will know it! Also he and I are both happy with my weight loss so far. All I wanted to put out there was my experience- I can apparently eat whatever but of course that doesn't mean that I will or should keep doing so. How can you not be curious? Anyway this is my last post, you can all keep preaching to each other if it helps.

I find it odd that you post on this forum and not expect anyone to give their opinion.

I looked back through the statements and did not see anything harsh, just a lot of advise, which when people post on these forums, I am assuming that is what people want....but you know what assuming gets you.

Good eating and good luck! :rolleyes: