Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Ohio, let's get this started

Mindful,

Sorry I didn't get on over the weekend, but I was out of commission. I had some chest pains on Saturday that I've never had before (had a double bypass 3 years ago.) so I thought I'd better get it checked out. I went to ER at the local heart hospital here and they ended up keeping me over the weekend. I needed some testing (that they don't do on weekends) so I had to stay. The testing went just fine. There was no evidence of a heart attack and everything checked out okay so they let me come home. I'm feeling okay now though.

I have an appointment with Dr Schumacher on the 22nd also. Mine is at 3:00 pm. So we can meet anytime before that. Just let me know what time you will be getting into the area and we can set up a place and time to meet. (soft food of course.)

Hope you're feeling a little better by now. Keep in touch.

Barbara

Hi everybody,

Paige I'm glad your surgery went good, I can't believe you drove home by yourself, I remember how I felt when I went home and I don't think I could of driven. For my protien I like Isopure and Atkins Advantage drinks. Just remember each day gets better and better as far as how you feel. I used gas-x for my gas and it worked good.

Barbara I'm so glad everythings ok, I know that must of been scary for you. It's good that you listened to you body and got things checked out. This way you stay on top of things.

I might beable to go to the support group next month, where I work they are talking about switching our 10hr. work day to 8hr. so that would give me more time to get back in time for work. I find out tonight for sure if that is what they are going to do.

I'm sorry I haven't been on in a week it just I'v been so busy, I won't be on this weekend either because I am going to visit my son and wont be back till Monday. Grazing has been a big issue with me this past week,:hungry: I'm not even hungry, it's my brain talking to me not my stomach. So I've decided to ignore my stupid brain and get on with it. Yesterday and today have been much nicer and I haven't eaten as much.

Hi to all the Ohio Bandsters! I am not banded yet but I was approved last week, both myself and my daughter. We have appointments with Dr Shumacher on Jan 27, O7.... Thank God. My daughter has been reading a lot on Lapband talk and now that we have an Ohio group she has been reading this as well and seen that a few of you were banded my our Dr. She has looked at the pictures of the operation sites on the belly and wanted to know if Dr Shumacher uses staples?? Just wondering because some of the pictures of the ones that have had the staples left more scar's than others. Any in put will be great. Hope to meet some of you soon.

Debbie

Congratulations for your approval for yourself and your daughter. I hope that your process from your appt with the dr to time of surgery isnt a long one. Keep us posted. That would be a great question to ask him during your appt. IF he does use staples you can always request him use dermabond and tegaderms or steri strips instead. I can't see why he wouldn't.

Congratulations DiscoDiva and welcome to the Ohio group. Dr. Shumacher didn't ise staples on my surgery. Just stitches that disolved in time, I can't really remember how long it took but it wasn't over two months. I know getting the band was the best thing I ever did for myself and I hope you like it as much as I do.

yeah, i did not have stitches. just some dissolving stitches and some glue i believe. my scars are tiny---not that it matters in the world of stretch marks that is my stomach :scared:

i cannot fix this ticker, but i lost another 2 pounds since 1/4

woo hoo!!

Hey Everyone:

Sorry I've been out of commission. Had some surgical complications and in the hospital the past few days here in Columbus (wish so much I could have made them transfer me or something down to Dr. Sch). Things are better and I'm on the soft food phase.

AnnieM and Nurse T: Thanks for the Protein drink suggestions. I'm now on eggs and yogurts so I should be able to avoid the supplements. I like the regular supplements (higher sugars) and my dietician said I can have them since I'm taking in such little nutrition right now.

Barbara: So sorry about the heart fiasco. I'm so glad everything is okay. I would love to meet on Monday. How about 12:45p at a restaurant of your choosing near Dr. Sch's office? I have to leave Dayton no later than 2:45 for a 4p appt in Columbus. I'm really glad you chose to check things out with your heart. Email me: mindfulpea@yahoo.com

Lisann: Glad you are getting back on track with the grazing. I'm still on such little intake that grazing is a good thing for me just to get some calories in. But, if you want to personally email me for accountability, please feel free (i.e. the number of times one day versus another) and I'll give you lots of encouragement (see above email). How did the tile job end?

Impersons: I just want to keep encouraging you. Hey, look - the month is already half over! I'll be thinking of you as Feb arrives!

DiscoDiva: Welcome to Ohio. I absolutely love Dr. S. He did steri-strips on me with internal (dissolve-type) sutures, not staples. For the band, I've not heard of anyone who uses staples because the incisions are so small.

Oh Rain Tree - Where are you? We miss you!

I'll probably be coming to the support group next month. I'm still trying to find one that is for band patients only. I'm a little frustrated that "we" get lumped into one group when the struggles and diets are radically different. I am just not sure I want to drive all the way to Dayton for a mixed group. There is a group here in Columbus that focuses on the emotions around eating that is free, sponsored thru the Center for Eating Disorders that I've been going to and I like it so far. Maybe as soon as my schedule settles, I'll start one for band only, one where you can come from any practice. Cincy Weight Loss has one but they won't allow people they didn't cut in - :D

Okay, well talk later!

Paige

hey paige

i talked to one of the girls at cincy weight loss today

and she said they are revisiting allowing other people in for a fee. it is included in the amount we pay for surgery so it would not be fair to "outsiders", this is one of those plus side things for those of us who went down there. she said they see the need for all banded folks to be able to network and share the experience, they were just worried about giving information to patients who are not under their care and about how all of us would feel. sorry to ramble on and on...but they are talking about it before next months meetings.

just thought i would give you the heads up.

hope all is well with you

ms

Hey All:

I've been out of commission once again. Back in the hospital. But, thankfully they found the problem to be completely unrelated to the band insertion. It was my gallbladder. I had another surgery this past Sunday to get it removed and Dr. Schumacher did it for me as well.

So, hopefully, once off pain meds and recovered, I"ll be in a good position to start this band race. Although the weight loss has already started - down 10 pounds in 13 days.

Miss Banster: Thanks for checking with the support group thing. I talked to them as well and was given the same information. I also spoke more to Dr. Schumacher and Lynn Wiegers of Kettering Bariatrics. They are going to be splitting up the groups. The new structure will be something like this. First, a general session with a professional to answer questions and to present a topic. Then, the groups will break out into bypass/band sections for a smaller, more personal discussion. I think it will be nice. Dr. Schumacher said that he's doing more and more bands and I think we'll see lots more support group options in the near future.

For those of you interested, I'm organizing a lunch to meet. FEBRUARY 5, 2007 AT 12:00P. BOB EVANS. The exit at Miamisburg/Centerville off I-75N in Miamisburg. Anyone who wants to join is welcome. PLEASE RSVP. I hope to meet as many of you as possible. Take Care and I'll post more later.

After a 2 days cardiac stress test, medical history appt.,pre-admission testing, and a 2hr.meeting w/pulmonary tech,RN, and a dietitian all things are a "go" for next Wed.21st at 11:00am at Sycamore Hospital, Miamisburg, OH, w/Dr. Schumacher. I am very excited, looking forward to getting this done and starting the next phase of my life.

I would enjoy meeting on the 5th, but, am such a "night person" and will take a raincheck and meet with you all for dinner some evening at Bob Evans at 75 & 725. It would be fun to exchange ideas and laugh about experiences being "fat" !! LOL

I think of you all & hope that everyone is doing good with their new life.

Carolyn:

Yeah!! I am so excited for you. These last five days will go VERY fast. I was wondering what happened to you lately. Good to see you back. Anyone else up for lunch on the 5th?

Hi everyone, Well we are all set for Feb 14th 2007! My daughter and I went today and spoke to the Dr and got everything set up for that day. It was either Valentine's day or a week later. We decited to make it a memorable Valentine's day! LOL

We are being banded by Dr. David Schumacher. I noticed that a lot of you have him as your Dr, so I hope we can meet you all.

Just keep us in your prayers and good luck you all of you as well. WE are very excited about starting a new way of life.

Debbie

Hi everyone, been awhile since I've been on, now things have calmed down a bit so hopefully I'm back.

Went and saw Dr. Shu Jan. 15th and I lost another 8# and since then I've lost 5# more for a total of 40#. I got a fill, this makes my third fill and I think I've finally found my sweet spot. I'm able to eat what I want as long as I chew good and I haven't had any problems getting it down.

Discodiva, I'm so happy for you and you daughter, this will be a valentines day you'll never forget. It will be here before you know it.

Paige, I hope now that they found the problem that things will be smooth sailing from here on out. Great job on the 10#, you'll be in onderland before you know it. I want to meet for lunch with you all on the 5th so count me in.

Carolyn, congratulations on your surgery date also. There are a lot of us that see Dr. Shu, I think he's the greatest and so is his staff.

I got all the bills back after insurance paid and it looks like I'm only going to owe around $400, I'm totaly surprised because the way I figured I was going to owe around $1000 so I'm glad that I figured wrong.

I went and visited my son last weekend (he's in the army and graduated from his schooling, AIT) he wanted to go to the the fitness center at the hotel we were staying at so I went with him and he also was showing me some ab workouts and I'm here to tell you I was sweating up a storm when we got done and my ab's didn't hurt that bad until two days later and I would remember every time I bent back for something. I love it when I get to work out with my DS because he is always asking me, ok,what are you going to do next, he keeps me on trach when he's around, which helps keep me motivated.

Well I'm sorry if I've been a little windy this morning I'm just hyper for some reason and it seems like I just keep babeling on.

I hope everyone has a nice cozy weekend and stay's warm, it's freezing out there if you haven't noticed. HAHA

Hey All:

Just checking in. Weight loss just hit 20# today. Can't believe it - feels too fast! I'm not experiencing ANY bandster hell and I feel I have a lot of restriction without any fill. Strange. I see Dr. Shu on the 5th so I wonder if he'll recommend anything different.

Strange though, my stomach still feels a bit swollen, maybe from gall bladder because despite being down 20# in 17 days, I still can't wear my jeans long and these are the same ones I wore comfortably before the weight loss. Must still be swollen and a bit tender with pressure. I wasn't thinking I'd lose this fast. I'm glad but a little concerned. I doubt it's still Fluid weight. I haven't started exercising yet because I'm still a bit tired and after running errands I feel pretty fatigued - after all it's been only 6 days since the gall bladder came out. Well, see everyone later.

So far, Linadu and myself are confirmed for lunch on the 5th, 12noon at Bob Evans near Dr. Shu's office. Anyone else? I think Baby Boomer is coming too.

DiscoDiva: Yeah, congrats! Please consider joining us for lunch even though you aren't banded yet.

Carolyn: Only a few more days.

Hi Paige, are you going to the Bob Evans right by the 75 exit? And it's going to be Feb 5th at noon, right? I may join you girls just so I can meet some of you. Thanks for the invite.

Debbie