Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How has VSG Affected your Marriage?

I've been wondering for all those post VSG, how has this new way of life affected your relationship with your spouse? Good bad?

I'm not married but have been with my SO for 5 years and although I am only 2.5 weeks out I feel like this is gonna help us in the long run. I have always been a big woman and my fiance likes that but he will love me regardless of size...he is 165 so he doesnt need to lose weight but he has been getting a tummy that he doesnt want and me eating healthy is helping him eat healthy. He used to get fast food a few times a week...I gave that up years ago but recently I forbade it from our house so that is helping him. ..two healthy people in a relationship is the best

Went from wonderful to adding a "WOW" factor, I hadn't counted on that. It's like the cherry on top of the sundae. :)

I also heard that surgery would affect your love life, and it was definitely true. However, its affected for the better!! I am WAY more confident in myself, my fiance is enjoying the perks that come along with it and together its just been an amazing transformation.

My marriage is even stronger now. We had a tight marriage before but instead of my hubby worrying about my health now, we get to concentrate on being more active, celebrating the nsv's, he loves when I put on fashion shows for him with my new clothes and he especially loves all the extra 'bedroom attention' if you get my drift. My hubby had lost 70+ pounds on his own about 8 years ago and has kept it off so he can empathize with my joys of losing the weight and is so happy for me. We are like newlyweds again :)

This is a tough one. My wife worried about this a lot. We have personally seen weight loss surgery destroy relationships of people we knew. Mostly because one person had newfound confidence, and ended up going out with friends a lot more, which led to adulterous situations. My wife and I were both sleeved, exactly 6 weeks apart (me - 03/08/13, her - 04/19/13). Our relationship is solid, but it hasn't been an intimate relationship for some time, for whatever reasons (3 kids and being too tired all the time being a major one). I am hoping that we can somehow get our 'groove' back, and improve that aspect of our relationship. The desire is there, at least on my end, and I believe on hers, but it just isn't as easy as it should be. Things have been the way they are for a while now, and it is hard to just flip a switch and change them. I don't even know how to initiate things anymore. I'm keeping my hopes up, and we'll see how it goes.

It was really hard on us the first few weeks when he had to pick up the slack with the kids (3 kids ages 7 and under). But since then it has started getting better. He's more responsive to eating better, we stay home all the time for meals, we encourage each other in the exercise department. I see changes for the better now.

It has made our relationship that much stronger. It may be because we both were sleeved 2 weeks apart but we are more in love now than ever. And the added bonus of more intimacy is awesome. I mean we were intimate before but man has it increased. TMI I know, lol

We have always had a great marriage but this helps with the passionate side. She is always checking me out and can't keep her hands off of me. Which is more than fine with me. She has been ordering clothes catalogs and is looking forward to dressing me in the latest fashions now that I am starting to fit into "normal" sizes. She calls me her personal supermodel.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I have had one unexpected consequence that I never saw coming and that I have rarely read about here on VST.com.

My wife is just a few pounds overweight, and like most people she'd like to lose 20 pounds. When I had surgery she committed herself to eating healthier and working out more...and she has done very well. Only problem is, like many of us here, she couldn't lose even a pound despite dropping calories and adding lots of exercise. I know the reasons why this happens but she had a hard time accepting that fact, and she grew increasingly frustrated. Meanwhile I'm celebrating every other day as my weight drops and people are complimenting me all the time, and I'm getting too small for my clothes left and right. One day I mentioned my shorts being too baggy and she flipped her wig. All her frustrations just came flying out. We settled it and got back to a good place....and since then she has started to see the positive results of her efforts....but after that I was more careful about celebrating in front of her. I didn't want to continue to make her feel bad about her own struggles.

I have always had a solid and passionate marriage, but now my energy is even higher. It's tough, I work full time with 4 kids as well as him. He is my best friend and of course much more. Hey even though MFP doesn't have it listed, intimacy burns a good amount of calories too. Lol.