Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid to tell people I've been sleeved

I told .. And the ones that wasn't supportive in the beginning were genuinely concern now that I'm almost 5 months out and I'm happy there happy .. To me it saved me slot if drama the weightloss is so dramatic it's no way I could Lose. 90 pounds in four months on my own .. I get so much support since I've shared even helped a few ppl that had no idea about their options .. You gone feel so good .. Who cares what ppl thing .. I'm too busy enjoying my sleeve

This is such a personal choice. I hope that your fear of telling isn't motivated by embarrassment. It is admirable that you are doing what you need to do to improve your health and quality of life.

I'm extremely fortunate. Over the years I have cultivated really good friendships (and it doesn't hurt that my circle of friends consists of nearly entirely therapists and social workers). They have all watched me struggle with my weight and work extremely hard to lose and keep off anything I might have lost. I also have a work group that are just an unbelievable awesome team. There will always be hateful and judgmental people out there, but I hope that you have at least a few people in your life that you trust enough to tell. You can do it alone, but it will be easier, emotionally in particular, if you have some support.

Fortunately, there is definitely a shift happening from thinking of weight problems as a matter of poor behavior to looking at it like a disease process. Someday, society with look at this as a medical condition that is exacerbated by our ridiculous food culture, and not some failing on the patient's part, but it's too bad paradigm shifts happens so slowly.

Wishing you the best!

dd

Delores you should be proud of yourself ! You did something to take back your life that is no simple feat! People are always going to be judge mental let them it's theirs to deal with ! I work with 2 Md.'s who do bariatrics and I felt the same way now I've started my own journey and will be sleeved on The 24 I'm on both ends of it and some if my coworkers have been supporting some really I could give two hoots about I'm doing this to take back my life and I've decided I luv me more than I care what they think of me so continue on your path and let others deal with their own insecurity !

I am proud of my sleeve and I tell everybody who asks. I don´t want to decieve people by telling them that I have always have a weight problem and I have tried everything and all of a sudden I just mustered a lot of willpower to loose all the weight. Another thing is that people get so inspired by the fact that there is a solution to what can seem like an impossible problem. I love my sleeve and I´m proud to tell.

At first I wasn't going to tell anyone. After I told the first person and I received good feedback I went on a rampage and told just about everyone, everyone as in friends and coworkers. Everyone was very supportive and made me feel good about doing so. I only let my immediate family know because I felt the rest of my family would be just to judgmental. Tell who you want to tell or don't tell anyone it's all up to you and what out feel is best for you.

I'm telling people that NEED TO KNOW!!! Examples co-workers and my household. Reason being they are around me most of the time and will wonder what is going like they did before when I changed my diet while seeing the nutritionist. I've lostn50lbs in 38days and I haven't had surgery yet mine is in July. I said to myself if ppl ask what have I been doing I won't tell no lie. I will advise them Portion Control, exercise...ALL are true. if someone ask did I get the surgery like out right say it I would say YES!!!

I'm not embarrassed about it, but like you I think people will think I took the easy way out. I've only told close friends, family, and coworkers

I am 7 months out down 78 lbs. I told my husband, one cousin and a few friends. I am very active in my church and I told them I was on a weight loss program that has a nut, doctor and exercise coach all true. Everyone is supportive because they know I bring my own food to potlucks, they know I drink a lot of Water and I hve a fitness trainer and I share how hard exercise is. I found out there r couples and individuals who r inspired by my progress and they r walking working out etc. I feel the medical aspect is personal the exercise and how I now view eating and exercise that is the true commitment. Because the procedure will heal, then after that its all about your commitment to yourself. I say choose wisely give yourself time and enjoy the new opportunity and doors that r about to openup for u God bless.

The only thing about say you exercise and trainer is all true but the fact the other ppl would be inspired by that is some what a false hope it's impossible for the to achieve the some result in the amount of time frame .. It's possible for some one to lose that amount if weight but not in that amount of time so fast .. Just my opinion no hard feelings I just remember how hard it was to lose weight and I would be upset to kno someone had surgery but the only tell u half the story which is true but the fact the big medical fact is the sleeve I've lose 90 pounds in four months I don't really exercise but walk so yes the sleeve is what help me lose weight

Again everyone is entitled to their opinion and for me I personally do not feel I hve to tell my medical procedures to anyone. To hve the courage to go through wls is a miracle, to make better food choices and exercise is a miracle from God. My opinion or yours is not up for debate or further discussion I say to everyone who takes this journey b fearless in your commitment to yourself tell who u feel needs to know, those that don't won't know. But have peace with your choices and never give up or let others opinion sway any decisions u make for your life. Good luck and enjoy the ride I am

Again everyone is entitled to their opinion and for me I personally do not feel I hve to tell my medical procedures to anyone. To hve the courage to go through wls is a miracle, to make better food choices and exercise is a miracle from God. My opinion or yours is not up for debate or further discussion I say to everyone who takes this journey b fearless in your commitment to yourself tell who u feel needs to know, those that don't won't know. But have peace with your choices and never give up or let others opinion sway any decisions u make for your life. Good luck and enjoy the ride I am

The thing is, you are not and can not be responsible for other's success or failures. So keeping medical procedures to yourself if you so choose is not lying or being less than honest. It's just personal. That's the long of it and short of it. You are not giving false hope to others by keeping your business private. If others are watching what they eat and exercising more because you are having success, than that is great, but comparing their loss to yours is as unrealistic as people doing it here. We often see, why has everyone else lost more than me? Well the fact is, everyone loses at the pace their body can handle. Comparing to others is destructive. You will always come out on the short end of the stick.

Keep doing what works for you. It's NOT, a requirement to share your medical history or any other information with anyone.

Keep up the great work!

I opened a can of worms .. My opinion tell or don't tell I can't say anything in between I could have worked with all those professionals and never would have lost that much weight I think most would agree or they would have never had the sleeve so I could not have others think that even if its not my intentions .. And no he's not responsible for ppls perception but I remember looking for hope that's all I'm saying .. It's not about comparing its about achieving the best results .. I don't have to compare I'm doing fabulous 24 pounds from my goal four months

What to tell others who are struggling is a worry of mine too, ebonisekim. I have a lot to think about.

What to tell others who are struggling is a worry of mine too' date=' ebonisekim. I have a lot to think about.[/quote']

It's up to you tell or don't tell what bother me is when people say they are dieting and exercising which is true but we all kno that alone would not allow us to lose the weight at the rate we do and it's misleading you do have nosey ppl but you have genuine ppl that need help is it are responsibility no but how are we going to get society to see weightloss as a healthy thing when in are own minds is viewed as a negative thing .. Hey women get breast jobs and its okay w the world .. It's really a personally choice like everyone says

I opened a can of worms .. My opinion tell or don't tell I can't say anything in between I could have worked with all those professionals and never would have lost that much weight I think most would agree or they would have never had the sleeve so I could not have others think that even if its not my intentions .. And no he's not responsible for ppls perception but I remember looking for hope that's all I'm saying .. It's not about comparing its about achieving the best results .. I don't have to compare I'm doing fabulous 24 pounds from my goal four months

I don't think you opened a can of worms at all. All you did was state your opinion clearly and respectfully. If my last post made you feel otherwise, I am sorry. That was not my intention. At all.

Putting one's opinion on this forum is a good thing. It may differ with others, but as one poster said, it gives one something to think about. Having a different perspective is always good. Agree with it or not, always good to try and see another point of view. I believe that is how we grow.To share or not is highly personal. The rate of loss varies from person to person, sleeved or not. So my opinion is rate of loss is not a big deal.

My general opinion is, do what is right for you to succeed at reaching your goal. Most people that have not been living under a rock know about WLS. People will look into if and when they are ready, regardless of what others do.

You are doing great and I wish you the very best success and look forward to when I am as close to my goal as you are!