Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein powders/ shakes...looking for suggestions/ ideas please

So, today is day 2 of my pre op diet and I am slightly confused about Protein shakes/ bars. I bought a couple different kinds from GNC, but am not sure if they are the right things. Does anyone have any good suggestions of which protein shakes/ powders have worked best for them, without tasting yucky? An advice would be helpful...thanks so much!

I see a lot of people talking about how they don't like Protein Shakes or drinks, and I must be weird, because so far I have liked almost everything I have tried.

I got a bunch of samples looking at the samples thread pinned up at the top of the board. For ready to drink, I have tried Muscle Milk Light Mango Peach (yummy) and chocolate (horrible, like industrial solvent), as well as Atkins Advantage French vanilla (very good, but the nutritional profile is not that great).

For powders, I have tried Protizyme Chocolate Cake (I thought it was good, and I don't even really like chocolate), and Syntrax Matrix Orange Creme (very good, could use a little more orange flavor -- I might put in a drop or two of orange extract). For each of them, I just put them in the blender with 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 1/2 cup ice Water. Other people might like them more or less thick. I don't mind this at all so far.

I like most I have tried, too, which consist of: Chike, Matrix, Syntrax Nectar and Unjury (chocolate only so far for this one). My DD did say that the Blue Sky nectar was yucky unless you doctor it up with berries and yogurt.

My go to concoction is the Body Fortress brand chocolate Peanut Butter flavored Protein mix in Decaf coffee. There was a banana flavored one from GNC that I liked but it was rather expensive. I forget the exact brand of it though.

I like chike brand so far- have tried their banana and it was very good and their chocolate was pretty good. I tried jay Robb chocolate and vanilla and found both to be horrible!

Look at the sample trial sizes from the sample thread and order a few different one's to see what you like

So, today is day 2 of my pre op diet and I am slightly confused about Protein shakes/ bars. I bought a couple different kinds from GNC, but am not sure if they are the right things. Does anyone have any good suggestions of which Protein shakes/ powders have worked best for them, without tasting yucky? An advice would be helpful...thanks so much!

I am a big fan of GNC's AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60 chocolate. This is the best tasting chocolate I've found even with just Water. With milk (skim or no fat) it's quite nice. What kind did you get from GNC?

I recommend getting some unflavored Protein powder. I use the unjury brand but I heard recently that Syntrax has an unflavored version. You can mix either into chicken broth to bump up the protein.

Also from Syntrax I *HIGHLY* recommend you try several of the flavors that mix with Water. I like the Roadside Lemonade myself.

I got through pre-op and going through post-op with Oh Yeah! Protein powder. You can order online or find at The Vitamin Shoppe. I used plain almond milk (4 oz, 30 cal) as the base, along with some crushed ice pre-op. Delicious. Doc also said that he was totally impressed with my liver during the surgery, so the shakes must have worked well. The Oh Yeah! also come in a prepared formula that is not as tasty as using the powder and doing it yourself.

bodyweight.png?ts=1370657094

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions!! :)

Hey, OopsyDaisy, are you an SC gal, too?

I am a big fan of GNC's AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60 chocolate. This is the best tasting chocolate I've found even with just Water. With milk (skim or no fat) it's quite nice. What kind did you get from GNC?

I recommend getting some unflavored Protein powder. I use the unjury brand but I heard recently that Syntrax has an unflavored version. You can mix either into chicken broth to bump up the Protein.< /p>

Also from Syntrax I *HIGHLY* recommend you try several of the flavors that mix with Water. I like the Roadside Lemonade myself.

so I am still pre op but went a head and got a few samples from GNC as well one of the ones I picked up was GNC's AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60 Chocolate I havent used it yet and Im wondering on the directions it says to use with 12oz of water to me it just doesnt seem like thats going to be enough water at all even though its sample size of 2.99 oz so I guess my question is do you fix yours according to the instructions also I tried some unflavored in my coffee but a scoop was way to much so hos do you knw exactly how much to use, thanks for any answers

so I am still pre op but went a head and got a few samples from GNC as well one of the ones I picked up was GNC's AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60 chocolate I havent used it yet and Im wondering on the directions it says to use with 12oz of Water to me it just doesnt seem like thats going to be enough Water at all even though its sample size of 2.99 oz so I guess my question is do you fix yours according to the instructions also I tried some unflavored in my coffee but a scoop was way to much so hos do you knw exactly how much to use, thanks for any answers

If I did the math correctly, 2.99oz is a little over 3 scoops which the instructions say to mix with 12oz of liquid. Since it's a sample, go ahead and try it that way. With the bag or the tub, I do 2 scoops to 8oz of liquid instead of the 3 scoops and 12oz liquid.

Which unflavored did you get? With the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored, I wouldn't bother mixing it into anything less than 8oz of whatever at 140 degrees or less. For best results, blend it (Magic Bullet, etc.) - stirring it in just doesn't cut it.

If I did the math correctly, 2.99oz is a little over 3 scoops which the instructions say to mix with 12oz of liquid. Since it's a sample, go ahead and try it that way. With the bag or the tub, I do 2 scoops to 8oz of liquid instead of the 3 scoops and 12oz liquid.

Which unflavored did you get? With the unjury unflavored, I wouldn't bother mixing it into anything less than 8oz of whatever at 140 degrees or less. For best results, blend it (Magic Bullet, etc.) - stirring it in just doesn't cut it.

I got Isopure and the taste was fine just to clumpy I did see earlier not to use it over 140 because it wont mix and our coffee at work is extremly hot so it could of been of been a combination of both to much mix and to hot thanks for answering

So' date=' today is day 2 of my pre op diet and I am slightly confused about Protein shakes/ bars. I bought a couple different kinds from GNC, but am not sure if they are the right things. Does anyone have any good suggestions of which Protein shakes/ powders have worked best for them, without tasting yucky? An advice would be helpful...thanks so much![/quote']

I hope I am not breaking any rules but you ask about great shakes and the best I have had is with Zeal. If your interested email me at brenda@gabbart .com

I bought some Syntrax Nector items. You can get sample packs. My faves are the chocolate latte, good warm for Breakfast, I also use choc truffle and Cookies n cream. The last2 i use 1 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk also, it adds a little thickness and some Calcium, only 30 cals....and also crushed ice into my bullitt. I also use Unjury unflavored and chicken Soup. I'm not a big fan of the tropical syntrax nectors. Tastes too chalky for me.

I've only tried 2 brands Unjury and chile. I prefer unjury. Chile taste good but seems to "chalky".