Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would soggy cherrios hurt?

I really need something of substance. I am freaking starving 2 days post op. like I'm talking a small small portion of soggy cherrios? I'm desperate.

Don't do it. Walk, sip, walk, sip, walk, sip. You really want to stick with doctor's orders. Each surgeon is different and uses different methods. No one knows your body and the trauma it went through as well as she/he does. Call your NUT and ask if you can have cream based Soups watered down with skim milk (they helped me A LOT as I have really no sweet tooth), greek yogurt or pudding cups. (All allowed on my full liquid diet.)

Cheerios may go down just fine for you, maybe not. I can tell you that I am three weeks post op now and was cleared for mushies last Friday. Today is the first day I've not vomited at all since starting them. I am pretty positive I pushed it the first day and caused irritation to my tummy and esophagus causing MAJOR pain and nausea for the next few days. Why risk it? If you (God forbid) have a leak or complication, wouldn't you beat yourself up wondering if it was a fooking Cheerio?

This is what my surgeon told me... "For the love of God, if you don't do anything else, give the post op diet 100% compliance."

The reason that you are on liquids only right now is that the only thing holding your stomach together right now is staples. Neglecting to follow the post op diet could do extreme damage. Your tissues are probably still swollen, so solids will not easily fit/pass through. If you stretch your stomach anywhere, that staple line could leak, and we all know those are bad, bad, bad. A bad leak could literally kill you or put you in the hospital for months. Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but there is real risk to not following the post op diet.

Having said that, you mentioned pain. Someone already suggested this, but you really might be well advised to call your surgeon's office. Better safe than sorry. They would much rather hear from you that find out later that you had a complication that could have been more easily corrected if it was detected earlier.

Best of luck, hope that you feel better soon. If it is just hunger, it will pass eventually. (usually sometime after you pull all your hair out, you head spins around in circles on your shoulders, and no family member wants to be in the same room with you any longer...)

dd

No I actually meant ur very rude responses and supreme ego... There's a psychological explanation for ur personality.

As for the actual poster' date=' should u choose to do as is recommended, great! If not, a few Cheerios, believe it or not will not kill u. As my surgeon said to me during my first week, if ur being careful and adding little tiny pieces to any liquid, u will be okay. :)[/quote']

Laura is probably one of THE nicest, helpful, and most supportive people here.

And I'm glad I don't have your surgeon.

Hopefully no one takes your advice and then comes back here to say they were hospitalized for getting a "tiny piece" lodged in their staple line.

I'm am starving. I have hunger pains. We all know what hunger pains feel like. It's painful and stabbing.

Painful and stabbing in my lower abdomen 2 days post-op was gas pain (had none in my shoulder as many have described)...it was enough to stop me short, bent over in pain.

I don't doubt that some people do experience bona-fide hunger early after surgery, but I actually think that many of us are not that great at "understanding" the messages our body sends...to the early poster who made a reference to thirst being mistaken for hunger...she's right, studies have shown that upwards of 40% of people make this mistake.

I responded to a similar post recently where someone was "certain" they were hungry only to find out that what she was basing that on were the rumblings in her stomach (again, gas)

As a few others have said...especially at this early stage, it is ALWAYS better to ask YOUR surgeon for permission instead of forgiveness...good to look into the acid blocker that johnlatte mentioned...and, if your surgeon doesn't clear you for more, try to grin and bear it with the happy silver lining that it is only for a short period of time.

Wait! I have to disagree about Laura being nice. She's not always nice and that's why we like her. She's tough when it's needed. Some people need tough words thrown at them or they don't get it.

Now dammit... No fricken cheerios!

End of discussion.

Compliance is a good thing when it comes to your new surgically altered stomach. As for the OP, your stomach is being closed by staples which need to heal. Two weeks sounds like a lot of time but it goes by quickly. If your surgeon said full liquids, then stay on full liquids.

Unlike the person who said a few Cheerios won't kill you, they can sure cause complications. You should follow the instructions of your surgeon to a a tee. Why is it that anytime someone hears something they don't want to, it's being rude.

At this stage pre-op you are most likely experiencing head hunger. Your stomach is swollen and the hormone gherlin which controls hunger removed. No matter what you do, I wish you good luck on your journey.

Sent from my iPad using VST

You guys aee hilarious....lol...I havent got surgery yet...but im sure it must b hard but dont dint eat the cheerios. ...on my list cheerios dont come up till the soft food stage....n even then im not sure its cheerios. ..but soggy Cereal is on my soft food list....im praying ya strength its rough im on day 1 liquid diet n its horrible I want to chew but follow the docs orders and LAURA STOP BEING SO DAMN MEAN LOL SHHEEEESSSSHHHH and antiband STOP COSIGNING LMAO YALL ARE HORRIBLE

Wait! I have to disagree about Laura being nice. She's not always nice and that's why we like her. She's tough when it's needed. Some people need tough words thrown at them or they don't get it.

Now dammit... No fricken cheerios!

End of discussion.

Yeah maybe nice was a bit of a stretch (but I'll take it) :D

I probably shouldn't expect a friend request from that "I'm fine" girl should I? 0.0

If you're on liquids, stick to liquids. It's not a fun stage of the diet but it'll pass. Get creative and switch it up. Milk, Soup, Jello, pudding, smoothies, etc. I wouldn't try Cheerios, honestly. I think it will really upset your stomach.

I'm about 7 weeks out and tried to eat some cereal the other day and had a few spoons and chucked it. It just wasn't sitting well. And I can eat pretty much anything at this point so that's saying something.

You need to stay pretty strict this first week at least. I started trying more "substantial" liquids/purées in my second week... Like greek yogurt and refried Beans.

I'm am starving. I have hunger pains. We all know what hunger pains feel like. It's painful and stabbing.

I'm 4 days post op. And I can see why you would think that those pains are hunger pains. But I took some gas-x and an anti-acid more regularly and the pains subsided. I also drink Water or Isopure 1oz every 15 min. It helps a lot. Just my experience, hope it helps!

Yeah maybe nice was a bit of a stretch (but I'll take it) :D

I probably shouldn't expect a friend request from that "I'm fine" girl should I? 0.0

Maybe I called you nice because I've never said something ridiculous like "go eat Cheerios" a few days out. Haven't felt your wrath lol. You've always been nice to me!

Maybe I called you nice because I've never said something ridiculous like "go eat Cheerios" a few days out. Haven't felt your wrath lol. You've always been nice to me!

You are so sweet :)

I can't remember the "eat Cheerios" girls name..

But I'm sure she meant no harm (in her comments to the op that is. :P) she is just giving misinformation that can have dire consequences this early out from surgery...

That is something I feel strongly about.

But food? I get it we all want it, it's how we all got here! I'm sleeved and my head still wants it.

But "cheating" now is way different than "cheating" 2 days after surgery.

On that note to the OP I hope you are doing well and know it gets easier :)

People.. It's not that Cheerios or the likes may "upset" your new stomach. Fact, probably don't give a rats ass what "upsets" you. THEY CARE ABOUT YOU DOING DAMAGE! Pure and simple. Don't invite complications and issues.

I shot up heroin once too' date=' and I was fine....[/quote']

Omg. My (already very sore) belly hurts from laughing so hard with that one!

Soggy cheerios may or may not hurt. Truthfully, it may kill you. Just like some of the others have already said, there's a reason why the doctors have you on liquids a little while after surgery. If any of those staples rupture, it could cause some damage, and maybe death if you don't go to the doctor soon enough. That means another surgery. This part of the "diet" is so short lived compared to everything else we will be doing the rest of our lives. I know that when I thought I was hungry post op, I started drinking warm Soup. I was able to feel full and stayed in compliance. I wouldn't want to risk my life and health over a few cheerios...I haven't gotten skinny yet.