Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I am pre-op and will be having my surgery in July. My surgeon does not require a pre-op diet of any kind except for nothing after midnight the night before. I am interested in knowing if there is anyone who did not have to do a pre-op diet that decided to do one on their own. And if you did one, do you think it helped prepare you for after surgery? When I asked my nutritionist if I should do one on my own she kind of scoffed at me like, "why would you if you don't have to". Please share any of your thoughts or experiences. Thanks!

My preop diet is intended to shrink my liver so my doctor has as much room as possible to work. Perhaps your blood work indicated that your liver was fine. I know my liver values were slightly elevated.

Hi everyone' date='

I am pre-op and will be having my surgery in July. My surgeon does not require a pre-op diet of any kind except for nothing after midnight the night before. I am interested in knowing if there is anyone who did not have to do a pre-op diet that decided to do one on their own. And if you did one, do you think it helped prepare you for after surgery? When I asked my nutritionist if I should do one on my own she kind of scoffed at me like, "why would you if you don't have to". Please share any of your thoughts or experiences. Thanks![/quote']

My doctor did not require one either...besides the day before surgery. And that was basically to help the process of cleaning you out. I definitely woupd not do one if your dr doesn't make you. Eat all u can before surgery....bcuz that's it.

I am hoping to have the surgery early this fall. I was asking about a pre-op diet said the day before your surgery you can have a light Breakfast, but then only Clear Liquids after that and nothing after mid-night.

My surgeon did not require a pre-op diet -- just no food after 9 p.m. and no liquids after midnight the night before surgery. I'm glad that I didn't have to do one, especially in my 1st week out from surgery because staying on that liquid diet was hard enough. I've been on liquid diets before so I didn't have the question of whether or not I'd be able to handle it. I knew that I could and I did just fine with it.

With the stress of the surgery itself and everything that comes after it, I was so glad that I didn't make myself diet or go on my own pre-op diet before surgery. That week after surgery was so hard for me to get nutrients, Protein and fluids in and I was glad that I had been eating well and drinking well the week before.

I had a three day pre-op diet, but started way early because I did the idiot food funeral and ate myself sick of food and couldn't stand to eat any longer. worked ok in the long run because I still can't stand eating. Just no interest in it. I used to be a huge pigger with food.. Makes me sad just remembering it.

I had a 2 week pre-op diet, stuck to it and didn't cheat and I'm SUPER glad I did. I've heard from alot of people about the awful withdrawals from carbs and sugar that they go through post-op because they had no pre-op diet. I'm just super glad that I went through the withdrawals before surgery when I didn't have to worry about everything else. I couldn't imagine nor would I want to do both at the same time. I would suggest it. :)

I was required to do a 2 week preop diet. I CHOSE to do a three and a half month preop diet though and yes I feel like it helped me a LOT. I didn't do all liquids. I did two or three shakes a day and a lean and green meal plus I could have Snacks such as: half of a piece of fruit, an egg, an ounce of nuts.. but I kept my calories to 800. Also often for my "green" portion of my diet I opted to juice some kale and ginger and add it to a Protein shake. I also made sure that I was getting 80 grams of Protein in every day.

During that three and a half months, I did fall off the wagon TWICE.. but each time was only one incident and I put a stop to it and climbed right back on. Overall I felt very successful and proud of myself. It made me feel like I really do have the self control necessary to make the sleeve work for me over the long term.

I lost 45 pounds in the three and a half months prior to surgery and even though I was still a hefty 48 BMI at surgery time, but my surgery was very easy on me. I had no complications and healed quickly with minimal discomfort. I drank 80 ounces of fluids the day after surgery.. I could drink a small dixie cup of Fluid in about five minutes without any problems. My sleeve had very little inflammation. Honestly, I credit my diet with a lot of this.. I shouldn't be eating any wheat anyway due to the fact that it causes an inflammatory response in my body. So when I stopped eating wheat during the preop phase, I think that helped me a LOT. Also including kale and ginger juice which are both highly anti-inflammatory... and of course making sure my body had plenty of protein PRE surgery so that it could be well prepared. I also started taking my Vitamins when I started my preop as well.

Yeah, anyway, that was my experience. I would do it again this way in a heartbeat.. In fact, when I go for plastics, I'm absolutely going to make sure that I'm having plenty of protein, green vegetables and ginger during the months preceding my surgery.

My surgeon wanted me to lose all the weight I could prior to surgery. Per doctors orders, I did one week pre-op liquid diet. I see no harm in doing your own diet prior to surgery, it will only put you that much closer to your goal weight. Also, it will shrink you liver which will make surgery easier for you doctor. Good luck with everything.