Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie here with questions about $$$

Dr. Ortiz at Obesity Control Center (OCC) in Tijuana. Great experience! $5500-6000.

If you are truly committed and follow the after surgery eating rules you will most likely not need medical follow up when you get home. --- my two cents worth...

Don't give up on your dream of being a mom! I don't have monetary advice for you but you are beautiful and it will happen for you! Good luck & muchos abrazos!

Most self pay patients seem to all end up getting sleeved in Mexico. It might sound scary but from what I can tell, almost everyone has had a great experience there. The only problem seems to be finding a doc when you get back.

There is no problem finding after care drs in the states. There may be a few in the entire country who refuse, but then I wouldn't want them anyway. I've been treated by several US bariatric surgeons in regards to my MX surgery and I've never heard of any PCP refusing to attend to MX patients after care.

Dr Ponce TJ $5500.00 VSG $6000.00 revision

I used dr Lopez in TJ in nov 2012 and had a great experience. I have not needed to have a doctor back int the states to follow up with other than my pcp. But I haven't seen him really for anything either and I am doing great. Down 75 lbs

I too have PCOS. I want to a fertility doc and got pregnant off of clomid. My son is now 4. Good luck on everything.

I'm having my surgery with dr.kelly in Tijuana on August 3rd. ( Im from mississippi). Lots of research led me there. I have PCOS as well and struggled to get pregnant for years as well but i now have a healthy 8 month old baby boy. I got pregnant on metformin. But of course every pound lost greatly increases your chances of fertility!

Going to Dr Kelly. 5200 plus 1000 (500 hernia and 500 high bmi). Have PCOS as well. Took me 7 years and lots of infertility treatments to get pregnant. This surgery is way cheaper than most of the infertility stuff and it will be dual pirpose...weight loss and increase fertility. I say go for it.

Im going with Dr.Almanza in Tijuana Jerusalem Hospital in September' date='its 4700.[/quote']

Have you thoroughly checked him out? The hospital isn't a hospital, it's a strip mall clinic. I've read horror stories about him.

Hello Everyone!

I have been researching the sleeve for about a year now. I have PCOS and thanks to that I am infertile Myrtle. Hubby and I have been trying to conceive for 5+ years. I have tried everything to lose weight, but it never really works. My doctor says its because of the PCOS. So she recommended WLS. . Originally I was dead set on going with Dr. Alvarez, because I had watched so many videos and also joined his Facebook page. Now I am seeing that there are so many other surgeons I had no idea about. Like many of you, my insurance does not include WLS of any kind! (Go figure, government insurance sucks!). I have been trying to figure out how in the heck I'm going to pay for this! I have read many great reviews on lots of different doctors. What I want to know is where did you go and how much did you pay? And would you recommend this doctor? All of these posts have been so inspiring, especially since I have been feeling pretty defeated lately. All I have ever wanted to be is a mommy and I'm not ready to give up on my dream!

I went with Dr. Illan in Tijuana. I paid $4000 for surgery, plus another $700 in airfare and incidentals. I would SO recommend Dr. Illan. Also, I think mysurgeryoptions.com, which is owned by the owner of this and other WLS forums, is running a special right now and they partner with Dr. Illan. I don't know all of the information, but you can contact Susan (one of the board admins) or go to the website for more information.

You can also find more information about Dr. Illan on his personal website, bajabariatrics.com.

I'm currently trying to convince my sister to go to Dr. Illan. We have both been diagnosed with PCOS and have had years of history with being unable to lose weight. We both had fertility issues and while we both were lucky enough to conceive (I had help, she had a happy surprise), neither of us love having lived with years of side effects related to PCOS.

I'm 3 months post-op and have lost 50 lbs, going from a 40 BMI to a 34BMI. I couldn't be happier!

~Kat

Dr. Alvarez and team are fantastic! 8700 but well worth it. I have seen a lot of reviews on here for many doctors in Mexico and I too was reading everything I could find. I chose Dr. Alvarez because of the overwhelming positive responses I had read and one other medical thing.. . . I did not want to wake up from surgery and have a tube coming out of me that they would have to remove before I went home. No , no. No tube of any kind. I tried to think it was ok and from what I had read it wasnt going to be that bad but to me I just didn't want to deal with it. I'm 2 weeks post op and I returned to work today, no issues, no problems. Down 21 pounds!

I was asked today if I'm scared of dying??? WHAT?!?! No I'm not at all or at least I wasn't till you asked!! Lol I know it's a major surgery and I'm going to Mexico to have it but that certainly doesn't mean death... I honestly haven't thought about it until now, I do have three kids, one under 5 so maybe I do need to put together a will of some sorts I really don't know... Do y'all think that's necessary?

I was asked today if I'm scared of dying??? WHAT?!?! No I'm not at all or at least I wasn't till you asked!! Lol I know it's a major surgery and I'm going to Mexico to have it but that certainly doesn't mean death... I honestly haven't thought about it until now, I do have three kids, one under 5 so maybe I do need to put together a will of some sorts I really don't know... Do y'all think that's necessary?

I think if you have young kids, you should have a will regardless. If you are married, it's less of a concern because everything will be handled your spouse by default (in most states) but if you are a single parent then you should absolutely have a will. If you got hit by a bus tomorrow, your loved ones need the information to carry out your wishes...not only financially but wil regards to placement of your kids, what kind of long term medical intervention you want done, etc.

As for being scared of dying...it totally wasn't on my radar until I was being wheeled into the OR. It was then that it hit me like a ton of bricks and I started to cry. I think it's not uncommon. Or else my surgeon was very kind and lied when he told me a lot of people worry about it. ;)

~Kat

I think I may be going to Puerto Vallarta now instead of Cancun. It is 6500.00 with Dr. Joya for the whole package which includes 2 nights in a brand new hospital and 3 nights in a resort.

I can say that Dr. Aceves and his team easily exceeded my expectations. :-)

Good luck finding your Mx surgeon.

Same. I paid 8750 to have surgery a week ago. It was worth every penny to be in his care.

That being said, there are a lot of great surgeons in Mexico, you just have to find the right one for you.