Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay I have not yet had my surgery (July 10th) but I am terrified of this so I want to know if it really is common, or just over hyped by worriers like me. I am an active person, I actually enjoy weight lifting and boxing, so I know I will remain active post surgery but is that enough to help with excess skin? Or should I EXPECT reconstruction?

Everyone is different. There is no way anyone could tell you for sure if you will have loose skin. I know I would rather be healthy with loose skin than be overweight with a saggy belly. Funny to me how people become 400 pounds overweight and are all of a sudden so worried about how they will look if they have this surgery.

I'm ONLY "worried" about this because I have absolutely no way to pay for any form of reconstructive surgery. That's my concern. And my reasons for surgery are health, AND my self confidence. And it's hard to be confident with all that extra skin. I am much happier being healthy WITH extra skin than being unhealthy and overweight by far, but the way I see it if I was able to have this surgery to feel better about myself then I would like to explore options past surgery too.

This is kind of like worrying about which wedding dress to get before you have a boyfriend... cross that bridge when you get there...

It's based on age, genetics, how obese you are, how long you've been there, if you've had babies, how much Water vs crap (aka soft drinks) you drink, how moisturized your skin is, how much muscle you build under that skin, etc. No 2 people are the same.

I will say worrying won't do a dang thing for it ;)

I think a big part depends on how heavy you start out at. How old you are. How long you have been overweight. My highest weight was 300, but I usually hovered around 270-280 for about 14 years now and I'm 25. I'm currently 202 and have a little loose skin at my arms , my chest and stomach are bad and will definitely need a breast lift plus augmentation and a Tummy Tuck Thanks to being over weight and having 3 children. My thighs look fine thank god. I have not really exercised but am more active with my kids and move around allot more.I will be starting an exercise regimen Monday that will include weight lifting to help tighten the skin on my arms & legs. Also to prevent hopefully any loose skin after my last 50 pounds are gone.

I'm only 20 but I've been over weight since I was 13.. Almost all my weight is in my stomach and boobs so I expect a Tummy Tuck and a boob lift with maybe breast augmentation. I keep picturing my self as a blob of extra skin. And it sucks cause I can't afford reconstruction surgery. I expect ill never be happy with my body but at least ill be healthy and able to keep up with everyone my age so that's a plus. My surgeon says almost every one she has done surgery on ends up needing some kind of reconstruction.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches