Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Member Getting Sleeved this Thursday. Pre-Op Problem

Hi everybody. I am so glad that I found this message board. I have been primarily watching YouTube videos until now. I just googled the topic, and it said this is the number one board so I joined.

I have been trying to get the gastric sleeve for just under two years. I was waiting for Medicaid/Medicare to approve it.

I also started making small lifestyle changes and I managed to lose nearly 120lbs on my own since last year. Just by cutting down and walking/swimming. I was over 500lbs. I weigh 405.8 as of this morning.

Here is the issue. The liquid pre-op diet was going just fine until yesterday afternoon. I had chinese food. Sesame chicken to be exact. My surgery is in four days :( so I am kind of scared. Also I just feel really bad because literally the liquid diet went out of my mind and I was in, "this is okay, I worked out for 2 hours today and I'm going swimming tomorrow" mode. I wasn't even thinking gastricsleeve-ically. That's not a word but, you know.

So I'm scared because I'm concerned about my bowel prep. I am also scared because my brain has been stuck in this mindset I had spent so much energy into developing the last couple of years that I just reverted back to it. Since starting my diet/exercise plan I pretty much eat clean 80% of the time and I cheat if I want to but I always work out A LOT around my cheat and to not cheat more than one day every other week. I was trying to develop the same habits regular sized people I see have.

But I know that after the sleeve, I can't do that. I need to have a sleeved mentality.

I feel really bad and I feel like I sabotaged myself. Is this going to have a bad effect on my surgery? I didn't binge. I stopped eating when I felt full. I actually have a huge plate of the food in my fridge still because they put so much food in the combination plates. (My brother is taking it to work with him later so I'm not eating any more of it).

I started back up with my liquids today. I just got right back on track. But I'm still very worried. I really wanted my weight to be under 400lbs when I had the surgery. That was just a goal I had set for myself but now I don't know if I'm gonna make it :(

Sorry this is so long. Thanks for any advice/support/help.

Most folks here will tell you that it is okay, it was one slip and you just pick up and move on. While this is true mostly, I think that you really have to get very clear with your relationship with eating and food. The operation is on your stomach, not on your brain. Any bad habits like binge eating or stress eating will not magically go away. I understand that you feel bad, and that's a good step, but please don't feel that the sleeve will make these things magically disappear. You can easily eat around the sleeve and stop losing or even gain weight. I think, based on your post, that you basically understand that. But working out at the gym or the pool doesn't offset a consumption of calories based on processed carbohydrates and fat. Take the next four days and really do some introspective thinking about why you have gotten to this point. Make a list of triggers, be it food or social situations that make you feel the need to run to food for comfort. Study that list, keep it with you and make changes to it as you need. The road to sucess post WLS is full of pot holes. It is easy to dismiss a slip up every now and again, but one slip should just be that a slip. On going, understanding yourself and your eating habits will go along way in insuring the success that you seek. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Most folks here will tell you that it is okay' date=' it was one slip and you just pick up and move on. While this is true mostly, I think that you really have to get very clear with your relationship with eating and food. The operation is on your stomach, not on your brain. Any bad habits like binge eating or stress eating will not magically go away. I understand that you feel bad, and that's a good step, but please don't feel that the sleeve will make these things magically disappear. You can easily eat around the sleeve and stop losing or even gain weight. I think, based on your post, that you basically understand that. But working out at the gym or the pool doesn't offset a consumption of calories based on processed carbohydrates and fat. Take the next four days and really do some introspective thinking about why you have gotten to this point. Make a list of triggers, be it food or social situations that make you feel the need to run to food for comfort. Study that list, keep it with you and make changes to it as you need. The road to sucess post WLS is full of pot holes. It is easy to dismiss a slip up every now and again, but one slip should just be that a slip. On going, understanding yourself and your eating habits will go along way in insuring the success that you seek. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.[/quote']

What more could be said? Great reply, Johnlatte! Secondly, I'd like to say congrats on the preop weight loss! Do NOT cheat again though, as u put urself in harms way. There is a reason why docs give us specific preop directions. Hang tough!

The important thing now is that you recognize that you made a mistake and you are not going to make another one pre-op. Congrats on the loss that's awesome. Only your doctor can tell you if it jeopardized your surgery, but being the perfect patient now will better your chances.

thank you all for the responses. i was so worried! i am on Clear Liquids now. countdown phase. i'm so excited.

and yes i have definitely been doing a reevaluation and making more of an effort to be aware of everything. especially Water :)

i got down a good 80z today. gonna try for 100oz tomorrow since i will be dry dry dry afterwards.

Congratulations and I am glad all went well! Good luck on your sleever journey :D