Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DON'T HIDE IT U WILL HELP OTHER'S

When I had my surgery I THOUGHT I would keep it to myself........BUT afterwards... I thought If I could help anyone in my shoes I would be happy to.

Today almost 2 years later, I have had 2 people I work with come to me, and say,,,,,,,,,,, THANK YOU............ I have watched you.......... I went to your DR and am scheduled for the surgery...........it brought tears to my eyes.........I PROUDLY told them If I can help you please let me know, here is what to expect from the Dr's office, the NUT, the evaluation, they said I have watched you and you are amazing!!!!..............BEST compliment I could have had......... I am there to help ANYONE............and ALL........... if you do the same think how many people we can help! SHOUT it, that you had a life saving surgery!!!! I had a conversation with a man today, he said, you have lost a lot a weight since I seen you last, I said yes........ and we chatted about food,........ he said you look really good............I said thank you......and later in conversation I said...........I had weight loss surgery, he said SO WHAT......you DID It!!!!.......... you look wonderful.............we talked more Protein............ protein.........protein......... once again you look good, congrats.............now this was a 20 year old kid, telling me a 55+ women............ that I look good, and congrats!!!!! He made my day! So don't try to hide your surgery, unless for some reason you have to, you MAY help someone that you may not even know is watching you.................

thank you, and you are doing GREAT!!! Rock on............Tell others!!

Yes! I'm the same way I met a lady in the nail shop and I told her about my weightloss and she's in the process now and almost finished I didn't even kno this woman and she didn't kno anything about the surgery I told her to join this support group to find out on her own and not just take in my success and she did .... So I applaud you for being honest it bothers me when ppl say oh I'm just dieting and working out yes true but we have a tool that other ppl don't have and false hope bothers me ... Keep up the good work

I have to hide the fact that I had surgery for several different reasons. It must feel so liberating to not have to hide it. You are lucky to have the support. Happy for you and keep up the great work.

I plan to be open and tell people AFTER I have surgery.

I just don't want any flack about me going to Mexico or ANYTHING before hand. I don't really care what people think or say to me- I'm just not in the mood for it until it's over.

I'm getting so excited as the time gets nearer though that I am just about busting to tell more people- If I knew they would keep their mouths shut and not give me their (probably) uneducated opinion on this surgery I would be more open now. I know that sounds terrible and judgemental.

I plan to be open and tell people AFTER I have surgery.

I just don't want any flack about me going to Mexico or ANYTHING before hand. I don't really care what people think or say to me- I'm just not in the mood for it until it's over.

I'm getting so excited as the time gets nearer though that I am just about busting to tell more people- If I knew they would keep their mouths shut and not give me their (probably) uneducated opinion on this surgery I would be more open now. I know that sounds terrible and judgemental.

. Tell them the sameness that did this very thing to me is now supporting me I realize that ppl say things out if concern and fear it's just way must work to hide it .. Sharing has allowed me to show my happens full on about this choice I've made no one Q me like if I hide it ppl would be like how u losing and ect that just makes u lie and then lies start cause u can't stop from the first lie .. It's really much easier once you start doing good be will come around and the ones who don't hey if yo happiness doesn't make them happy well I will just move on .. Good luck to you

I waited till AFTER I had mine also, I didn't want to hear everyone tell me what I should or should not do. DO what is right for YOU! :)

yeah, I was public about it from the moment I decided to have the surgery. I am always ready to help anyone who needs it. It's hard sometimes when people aren't ready to hear it. There are a few here at work, they are in need of the help, but aren't ready. They know I had the surgery. They kind of give me a smile and a nod when they hear how I lost it, but they aren't ready to make that choice. So, they know I am here, and I'll let them start the conversation now when they are ready.

I am preop. I have told a few people. When I told my (grown) children, my daughter said good for you, my son said you don't need it, my other son said you're going to wake up in a tub of ice with organs missing (I'm going to Mexico). He is the only one trying to talk me out of it. Everyone else I've told is happy for me. Some of my friends wish they could do it and they're going to see how it works for me.

I can't lie I'm still chicken about telling. I revealed to a friend I was THINKING about it and she mentioned how her friends husband DIED of a slipped disk. What that has to do with WLS is beyond me... But she was insinuating I'd make my husband a widower. :o

I am preop. I have told a few people. When I told my (grown) children' date=' my daughter said good for you, my son said you don't need it, my other son said you're going to wake up in a tub of ice with organs missing (I'm going to Mexico). He is the only one trying to talk me out of it. Everyone else I've told is happy for me. Some of my friends wish they could do it and they're going to see how it works for me.[/quote']

Sounds like maybe you son is afraid of losing you....is there anyway you can introduce him to whoever your contacts are stateside or let him go with you to alleviate his concerns?

I can't lie I'm still chicken about telling. I revealed to a friend I was THINKING about it and she mentioned how her friends husband DIED of a slipped disk. What that has to do with WLS is beyond me... But she was insinuating I'd make my husband a widower. :o

I have had one life long friend say they knew of someone who died on the table during a wls 20 years ago....things have changed, technology and sanitation requirements are much better and who knows what else that person had wrong with them? Its like when you get pregnant everyone wants to tell you their worst (and sometimes best) pregnancy stories..I have told all of my family and close friends and a few people at work...will eventually tell everyone at work when I go on leave...I want and need a good support network...and I have that the more information I share, the happier they are for me. Good luck!!

Sounds like maybe you son is afraid of losing you....is there anyway you can introduce him to whoever your contacts are stateside or let him go with you to alleviate his concerns?

Yes I think he is afraid. That was my response to him "come with me" but he can't because of his job and wife and two children. It's ok. I'll come back just fine. I love him for his concern :-)