Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wish I would've known that before

As I approach my pre-op liquid diet On May 27 and my gastric sleeve surgery on June 11. I am wondering is there any thing that I should know that people wish they would've known before to be prepared.

For me, I think I really underestimated how long recovery takes. I know that sounds dumb, but I was super determined that I was going to feel great quick. I'm one week out and I don't feel horrible by any means, but I still feel tired, crampy and like not doing anything. I wish I had more reasonable expectations while still maintaining my positive attitude :)

I wish I knew how to sip before hand. I must have looked like a dog drinking Water before the surgery, LOL!

I know this seems silly but I have to sip like a lady now, with my lips actually touching the liquid before I can open my mouth. If I open my mouth any sooner then I swallow a bunch of air and I get gassy. Right after the operation it was hard to burp it out and it caused me some minor pain.

I am over 2 weeks out now, and it is a little better but I still sip out of fear that I will get gassy again.

For me' date=' I think I really underestimated how long recovery takes. I know that sounds dumb, but I was super determined that I was going to feel great quick. I'm one week out and I don't feel horrible by any means, but I still feel tired, crampy and like not doing anything. I wish I had more reasonable expectations while still maintaining my positive attitude :)[/quote']

Yeah I first I told my doctor that I only wanted to take a week off but after reading so much I figured out take two weeks to be on the safe side. But I am glad you were feeling better keep your positive attitude go. And just when I think you maybe hard i think about all the positive stories I've heard about the gastric sleeve and the positive outcomes:)

I wish I could have understood that the mental part of recovery was going to be much worse than the physical. Physically I didn't really have any issues after surgery. Mentally, that's another story. It was so hard to actually have to deal with my emotions rather than eating to cover them up. It was hard to watch other people eat at first when I couldn't. It was hard when I could eat to only eat a couple bites and then be full when I really wanted more. It was hard to not drink while I was eating. All of these things took a toll on me emotionally. I'm fine now but it was a challenge at first. Although, I will say that even with all of that there was never a time that I regretted having surgery.

I wish I knew how to sip before hand. I must have looked like a dog drinking Water before the surgery' date=' LOL!

I know this seems silly but I have to sip like a lady now, with my lips actually touching the liquid before I can open my mouth. If I open my mouth any sooner then I swallow a bunch of air and I get gassy. Right after the operation it was hard to burp it out and it caused me some minor pain.

I am over 2 weeks out now, and it is a little better but I still sip out of fear that I will get gassy again.[/quote']

Thank you for your input I'm going to start practicing the sipping.. And the doctor told me no straws:( I love straws... But I guess the straw can make you suck up air.

I wish I could have understood that the mental part of recovery was going to be much worse than the physical. Physically I didn't really have any issues after surgery. Mentally' date=' that's another story. It was so hard to actually have to deal with my emotions rather than eating to cover them up. It was hard to watch other people eat at first when I couldn't. It was hard when I could eat to only eat a couple bites and then be full when I really wanted more. It was hard to not drink while I was eating. All of these things took a toll on me emotionally. I'm fine now but it was a challenge at first. Although, I will say that even with all of that there was never a time that I regretted having surgery.[/quote']

Thank you so much I am starting to think that may be one of the things that I may struggle with too. Yeah gathering with friends and families always seem to revolve around food but I do also enjoy shopping with my friends and family so that will be a plus to buy smaller clothes. And the trendy things that they don't currently make in plus size. I already have clothes for myself as I size down.. I bought them on sale:) Thank you again for sharing with me

While I felt good pretty quick out of surgery, I did underestimate how long it would take to feel myself again. I had some energy but then I would wake up some days just wiped out and just be a slug that day. I would say listen to your body and do it. It really does take time to heal.

Ok, that said, I'm gonna get real and tell you the truth.

Poop. Yep, it will likely be a problem. Ha! You think nothing in, nothing out applies here. WRONG!! Beware. Because I had no nausea issues I was able to get on the liquid train pretty quick so hydration was not an issue. I was getting about about 60 grams of Protein through Isopure in under a week and was sippping on it from the time I got home. That stuff is loaded with Protein, 40 grams for a 20 oz bottle.

Didn't think to much of it till about 6 days after surgery. Man oh man, huge mistake! Don't let this happen to you. If you have not had relief start with the MOM. Don't let it get out of hand. It was a constant struggle (no pun intended) for a good month. My biggest issue by far and away.

Just keeping it real. :wacko:

10 weeks out today and I feel like a million bucks! I feel great inside and out. I have tons of energy. I am down 42 pounds including pre op. 29 post op. My outlook is different. I feel what my new normal is and I love it. I am not on a no carb plan, just balanced. I can eat most anything, I just have not had breads, Pasta and refined sugar. Mostly because I have not craved them. I have a couple glasses of wine every weekend (with the NUT and dr's blessing after 6 weeks) I just have to account for it.

Getting sleeved has been the best thing I could have done for my health and I love, Love, LOVE my sleeve!

I'm sure you all will too! :)

A lot of us use straws with no problem. Right after surgery I found it easier to take small sips with a straw. I just don't take a big suck down.

As far as what I wished I had known, there's nothing, really. Except I'm 6 weeks out and still am limited to 1/4 cup of any solid. So I still rely on Protein shakes for most of my diet, with occasional yogurt and cottage cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I wish I could have understood that the mental part of recovery was going to be much worse than the physical. Physically I didn't really have any issues after surgery. Mentally, that's another story. It was so hard to actually have to deal with my emotions rather than eating to cover them up. It was hard to watch other people eat at first when I couldn't. It was hard when I could eat to only eat a couple bites and then be full when I really wanted more. It was hard to not drink while I was eating. All of these things took a toll on me emotionally. I'm fine now but it was a challenge at first. Although, I will say that even with all of that there was never a time that I regretted having surgery.

Wise words. I know I love my sleeve but I also know the hard work is yet to come. It's easier when you have someone telling you what to eat and when to eat. It's the forever after that is where the real work comes in.

I know that there will be struggles and issues but reading an experience like yours and seeing how successful you are, it inspires me to stay on top of it.

Thank you for sharing that.

While I felt good pretty quick out of surgery' date=' I did underestimate how long it would take to feel myself again. I had some energy but then I would wake up some days just wiped out and just be a slug that day. I would say listen to your body and do it. It really does take time to heal.

Ok, that said, I'm gonna get real and tell you the truth.

Poop. Yep, it will likely be a problem. Ha! You think nothing in, nothing out applies here. WRONG!! Beware. Because I had no nausea issues I was able to get on the liquid train pretty quick so hydration was not an issue. I was getting about about 60 grams of Protein through Isopure in under a week and was sippping on it from the time I got home. That stuff is loaded with Protein, 40 grams for a 20 oz bottle.

Didn't think to much of it till about 6 days after surgery. Man oh man, huge mistake! Don't let this happen to you. If you have not had relief start with the MOM. Don't let it get out of hand. It was a constant struggle (no pun intended) for a good month. My biggest issue by far and away.

Just keeping it real. :wacko:

10 weeks out today and I feel like a million bucks! I feel great inside and out. I have tons of energy. I am down 42 pounds including pre op. 29 post op. My outlook is different. I feel what my new normal is and I love it. I am not on a no carb plan, just balanced. I can eat most anything, I just have not had breads, Pasta and refined sugar. Mostly because I have not craved them. I have a couple glasses of wine every weekend (with the NUT and dr's blessing after 6 weeks) I just have to account for it.

Getting sleeved has been the best thing I could have done for my health and I love, Love, LOVE my sleeve!

I'm sure you all will too! :)[/quote']

Really pooping is going to be an issue can you explain what MOM is? What exactly is the issue with pooping I heard of Dumping. But it sounds like you are referring to something else. ThNks

A lot of us use straws with no problem. Right after surgery I found it easier to take small sips with a straw. I just don't take a big suck down.

As far as what I wished I had known' date=' there's nothing, really. Except I'm 6 weeks out and still am limited to 1/4 cup of any solid. So I still rely on Protein shakes for most of my diet, with occasional yogurt and cottage cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

Thanks That is encouraging. Tiny sips will be good:)

Im so glad u posted this!!!! Its good to hear others experiences:)

Really pooping is going to be an issue can you explain what MOM is? What exactly is the issue with pooping I heard of Dumping. But it sounds like you are referring to something else. ThNks

Dumping is an issue with bypass but can happen with sleeve. MOM is milk of magnesia. When you are post op for the few few weeks, you are getting virtually no Fiber in your diet. Things usually level out after you are eating regular foods. You many need the MOM, or Miralax in your shakes, (another laxative) until you can add some Fiber into your diet and even longer. I still add about 1/2 a teaspoon of miralax in my morning shakes but I also take children's Gummy fibers. Even after, you are still eating more Protein than fiber so you may need some help from time to time.

The opposite can occur if you eat a lot of slider foods, fat and sugar. Also, for me, If I have eaten too fast, it seems to go right through me. That has happened two times to me.

Dumping is an issue with bypass but can happen with sleeve. MOM is milk of magnesia. When you are post op for the few few weeks' date=' you are getting virtually no fiber in your diet. Things usually level out after you are eating regular foods. You many need the MOM, or miralax in your shakes, (another laxative) until you can add some fiber into your diet and even longer. I still add about 1/2 a teaspoon of miralax in my morning shakes but I also take children's Gummy fibers. Even after, you are still eating more Protein than fiber so you may need some help from time to time.

The opposite can occur if you eat a lot of slider foods, fat and sugar. Also, for me, If I have eaten too fast, it seems to go right through me. That has happened two times to me.[/quote']

Thanks soo helpful... I guess I have to add that to my post op grocery list????????????