Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much? How often?

How much is a normal fill? I had my first on July 19th. And how often are we suppose to get them? I cannot get any info from my Doctor and when I call his office I get voice mail.:D

Hi Sissyfaye,

Hey! We started at exactly the same stats! Cool. :D

The answer to your question is that there are no "normal" amounts of fill, and no normal schedule. There's a discussion of this exact issue in the General Discussion area, in the thread on Plateaus and Weightloss http://lapbandtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2569

There are only three kinds of fills: not enough, too much, and just right. And as for knowing when you need one, it's a matter of how YOU feel, not some magic schedule your doctor has devised. The only common denominator seems to be that you should not have a fill until at least 6 weeks post-surgery, to allow ample time for healing.

Sissy I was also told that if you are losing 1-3 pounds a week then you do not need a fill. If you plateau for 2-3 weeks then it is time to schedule a fill. I had my first fill of 1..1 cc's on June 7th and I 'm losing 2 pounds a week. So I will not schedule a fill until I plateau for 2-3 weeks. Everybodys fill ammount is different. What will work for me may not work for you or vice versa. SInce you just had your first fill you may be good for a month or so..sometimes it takes a few days for the fill to kick in also. Mine took a week.

Hi Sissyfaye,

Im new to this place, so I hope Im doing this reply correctly.

I had my band on July 5th and I go for my first fill on Aug 2. I, too am with Dr. Spiegel. I dont have very many positive things to say about his office, so Im going to leave that one alone! Anyhow, as I approach my first fill, I keep thinking about the pain you were in a week ago with your first fill.... what ever happened??? Did you ever find anything out from Spiegels office?

And to answer your initial question, I heard he allows a fill every 4 weeks.

Originally posted by New Hope

Sissyfaye, does your dr. close early on Fridays? Mine does. Are you still having that awful pain?

The pain is much better.......only had it once on Friday. I think it is air, because after I make myself belch alot, it goes away.My doctor does not see patients on Friday, but the office is open.

Originally posted by paula

Hi Sissyfaye,

Im new to this place, so I hope Im doing this reply correctly.

I had my band on July 5th and I go for my first fill on Aug 2. I, too am with Dr. Spiegel. I dont have very many positive things to say about his office, so Im going to leave that one alone! Anyhow, as I approach my first fill, I keep thinking about the pain you were in a week ago with your first fill.... what ever happened??? Did you ever find anything out from Spiegels office?

And to answer your initial question, I heard he allows a fill every 4 weeks.

Oh I am so happy to hear from someone that has used Speigel!!:D When I called his office I spoke to his nursse(Melissa) and she said I was taking in too much air when I drink or eat. She said I would have to learn to exhale and then drink. I am with you about the office. Where do you live? Maybe close to me?

Originally posted by sissyfaye

You've really lost alot! How long have you been banded? I want to have a big lose soooo bad!:D

Hee hee! I've been banded almost a year--I promise you you'll be way ahead of me when you've been banded that long. I'm taking it really slowly for several reasons, but am really happy with my almost 60-lb loss in 12 months. 5 lbs a month is just fine and dandy with me, thanks. ;)

Im in Lake Charles, Louisiana... about 30 minutes east of the Texas border! I know another lady here in town that had surgery with Spiegel in mid May, she has lost 30 lbs in 2 months, and is already looking towards her 3rd fill.

I now wish I wouldve gone to Houston (Spivak) because of all the negative things I hear (and have experienced) with Spiegels office. Like I said in my profile, its all about the $$$$$$$. And Id like to think that when I pay THIS much money for something, I get a little more knowledged and edcuated help from his staff. I have resorted to using this place or calling another doctors office for answers. :phanvan

At the top of this page, under the title "main lap-band forums" there is a topic on Doctors and Hospitals (Im assuming you havent viewed this yet) . If you go back a month in messages under this topic you will find one for Dr. Spiegels patients.

Happy reading;) And let me add that everyone seems satisified with Spiegel himself, including me, but its the office that makes me cringe!

God Bless you on your journey