Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any sugestitions on this surgery?

I'm wanting this surgery and I'm very interested into seeing what others have to say please help me in sharing your stories, I've already seen my surgeon and now I'm meeting with another dr to talk about insurance and stuff please can you tell me the pros and cons foods to eat not to eat any idea will help thank you so much

Hmmm where do I start? Well foods not to eat post op.... Fried foods stay away from that stuff. Any basic diet WW or you can use spark people web site..which is the same thing and it is free. Until just before surgery. Every Dr. Is different in their requirements. For me I was required to do Protein Shakes and one small low fat meal daily for a month prior to surgery. The day before it was all liquids. However, that is all based on your surgeons requirements.

Pros: fast rapid weight loss, freedom from the drive to eat, built in Portion Control, after dropping a chunk of weight more mobility, no more joint pain.

Cons: Well the first few months for me was not fun. It was a lot to adjust to. However, once you are past the first few months and are back to a normal diet it is not bad. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Hope this helps!

Forced Portion Control - it is what I needed. I am almost 3 years post-op and have been maintaining for about 2.5 years. I reached goal FAST, I lost 23 lbs prior to surgery for a total of 83. Never one second of 'buyers remorse'. I love my sleeve. I still don't get hungry, I have what I call my "NEW" hunger, it's more of an empty feeling. I can eat or I can ignore it if I need or want to. No hunger or my 'new hunger' makes resisting when I should, much, much easier. The doctor was sure to tell us at the seminar, this is not a diet, it's a new way of life. It is. I treated it as a diet until I reached goal. Since then, nothing is off limits other than carbonated drinks, regular OR sugar free. That was his only 'NEVER'. I can live with that. There are things I CHOOSE not to eat or not often, but I share a piece of Starbucks pumpkin bread with my husband, every weekend, almost without fail. Every so often, I will eat a few fries or chips, and when I say a few, I mean five or six French fries or Fritos. I'll eat something fried, but seldom and not much. Three or four fried pickles, ONE time in the past three years. Things like that just aren't worth it to me!! Like I said, it is much easier to make wiser choices when you aren't experiencing real hunger! I promise, you will NOT regret having surgery. Find a support group, start attending BEFORE, you'll have real live people there and you can pick their brains!!! Good luck!!!

Forced Portion Control - it is what I needed. I am almost 3 years post-op and have been maintaining for about 2.5 years. I reached goal FAST' date=' I lost 23 lbs prior to surgery for a total of 83. Never one second of 'buyers remorse'. I love my sleeve. I still don't get hungry, I have what I call my "NEW" hunger, it's more of an empty feeling. I can eat or I can ignore it if I need or want to. No hunger or my 'new hunger' makes resisting when I should, much, much easier. The doctor was sure to tell us at the seminar, this is not a diet, it's a new way of life. It is. I treated it as a diet until I reached goal. Since then, nothing is off limits other than carbonated drinks, regular OR sugar free. That was his only 'NEVER'. I can live with that. There are things I CHOOSE not to eat or not often, but I share a piece of Starbucks pumpkin bread with my husband, every weekend, almost without fail. Every so often, I will eat a few fries or chips, and when I say a few, I mean five or six French fries or Fritos. I'll eat something fried, but seldom and not much. Three or four fried pickles, ONE time in the past three years. Things like that just aren't worth it to me!! Like I said, it is much easier to make wiser choices when you aren't experiencing real hunger! I promise, you will NOT regret having surgery. Find a support group, start attending BEFORE, you'll have real live people there and you can pick their brains!!! Good luck!!![/quote']

This is very similar to how I feel. I love my sleeve! It was truly one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself. I was 15 months out this last Thursday 5/9. I have lost 125 pounds or 105% of my excess weight! Even with some complications I would still do it again faster than you can blink!! I went from being hungry all the time, even after eating a large meal, to having to remind myself to eat. I went from being tired and lethargic to having so much energy I can't sit still!

WLS is NOT a diet. It IS a lifestyle change. A tool that works TEMPORARILY to help you get the weight off and longer, if you make the choice to continue those healthy new habits like eating right. You do need to be committed to changing things that got you fat in the first place and be willing to accept that there are things you will NEVER consume again. I too, will never again drink soda. The only thing good about it is how it tastes! I do occasionally have regular coffee, have had a little wine on special occasions and even sweets for a special treat just like any other "normal" person. I just set limits for myself. I feel SO MUCH BETTER when I eat right that it makes choosing the right foods a lot easier!

You will see a lot of people posting on this site how miserable they are. Still popping anti depressants and complaining about how much they regret their decision. The more you read, you'll see that the same people are also posting about their cheating, looking for someone else to validate that desire or commiserate with. All the crap they are continuing to eat and drink and then can't figure out why they still feel so terrible! Duh!!

I am an assistant leader at our local support group and someone said to me that this site made them not want to get sleeved because everyone is so negative. I told her that I believe the reason for that, is because the people who are doing what they are supposed to, following the rules, changing their lifestyles, aren't sitting on the computer feeling sorry for themselves. They are out enjoying the life they reclaimed. I now check this site on my morning and afternoon walks from my phone! Love the VST APP!!

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!! You can choose to fail or you can choose to SUCCEED!! It's all up to you!! Best wishes on your decision and your journey! = )