Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What activities do you use instead of emotional eating?

Writing. It keeps my hands busy and my head into something other than food. I've wanted to be a writer since I was 9 years old. I started about 3-4 books at a very young age. But, I allowed myself to second-guess writing as a realistic career over the years. So, I eventually gave it up.

Just as I was a closet eater pre-op, I am now a closet writer. I'm not comfortable with anyone reading my stories. I'm embarrassed because I usually bear my heart and soul in my writings (in both fiction and non-fiction stories). My goal is to actually finish a story, then eventually share it with someone.

~Jenn

Gardening!! I love to cook and that used to be my first love but it has now taken a back seat to gardening- even while I'm pre- surgery! In fact, my mom even remarked how it was a good thing I loved gardening so much with my surgery coming up in June- I could transfer my food love to the garden and keep my hands busy. It's awesome for me but not so awesome for my pocketbook! Lol. I'm not so occupied with food anymore, first thing I do is take a walk around my garden and see what new things are blooming and I end up planting something, watering or weeding...and before I know it it's 11am and almost time for lunch, and I haven't had Breakfast yet! Totally addicted! Sort of bummed that someone else will get to eat my strawberries & raspberries this year since I will still be on liquids & purée when they fruit. Oh well, only one year. Any other gardeners?

Have relations

^^

That was copied and pasted from my notes. Im loling that I actually used the word "relations."

How did I not ever think of this?!? That is brilliant. I will have to tell my husband that one.

When the Behaviorist and I discussed this she said that for me, I needed to make sure that my mind was completely engaged. So I try to do the following:

Sudoku puzzles

Video Games - I love Sims 3 and SimCity 4

Research for Vacation or vacations I'd like to take in the future

Researching VSG (I'm still pre-op and obsessive about that sort of thing)

Researching Plastic Surgery - I have a lot of hope that I will totally need that!

Talking to family, friends or co-workers

Standing up at work - seems to alleviate the boredom and I forget about food

Crafts - I like papercrafting and cross stitching

Looking at stupid animal videos online

There have been some great suggestions, I will definitely be incorporating a few.

I was never an emotional eater and I was not a food addict.

That said since the surgery I have way more sex! I recommend it. It burns calories, releases endorphins and is much easier to get freaky when skinnier :-D

I still love my food, eat out a lot, and eat a wide variety of things. I just eat smaller volumes. And then go home and have great sex.

Funny, I've been thinking about this a lot as my surgery approaches. Here is the list I've made for myself. I'll be adding some of the ideas mentioned above thanks to all.

Things to do instead of eat! Ha!

Read to the boys

Clean

Work out

Read a book

Do homework

Do activities with the boys

Ride bikes with the boys

Have relations

Practice makeup

Watch makeup and hair videos

Sew

Take staged pics of the boys

Plan dive trip or vacation

Watch a movie with hubs

Watch a girly series

^^

That was copied and pasted from my notes. Im loling that I actually used the word "relations."

LOLOLOL, have relations!!!! Sounds like the best diet ever!!!!