Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh wow - I'm also sorry to hear that you've had these complications.

Why do they think a bypass is going to relieve it? I would think the issues are caused because of your reduced stomach size' date=' and bypass isn't going to change that. Just curious why this is the option to resolve the gerd...[/quote']

It's because the bile duct no longer connects to the stomach, but goes straight to the intestines. The food in your stomach with bypass has no acid. Even if you vomit it, it is not acidic. All the mixing happens in the intestine.

Niki I am so sorry to hear that you are still having problems. I certainly understand your frustration. I'm thinking of you and hoping your troubles are resolves soon.

Risky1... How in the heck have u lost over 100 lbs in just over 2 months?!

That's crazy! I hope you're ok. I'm guessing u must have a lot to lose... How much if I may ask?

Again, I hope you're alright and that the revision will get you eating again

Risky1... How in the heck have u lost over 100 lbs in just over 2 months?!

That's crazy! I hope you're ok. I'm guessing u must have a lot to lose... How much if I may ask?

Again' date=' I hope you're alright and that the revision will get you eating again[/quote']

They said 9 months...

No, they said they were down 102 lbs in 9 WEEKS. That is shocking!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Yes scary for me and my family. officially 110 pounds in 9 weeks 3 days. Surgery weight the morning of surgery was 368 now weigh 260, up a about 6 pounds due to being on TPN nutrition and I am sure Water weight. I literally was unable to eat anything substantial, Protein drinks wouldn't stay down. Could not eat anything more than a spoonful of Soup. its been a rough ride.

Surgeons said that kind of weight loss is close to being impossible without serious side effects.

So as much as I wanted the sleeve to work for me...( well I guess technically its working like gang busters). I think I am going to have to convert to the full bypass, my stomach just won't cooperate and I don't have time to wait for to see if its going to get better. This has been going on too long.

Yes scary for me and my family. officially 110 pounds in 9 weeks 3 days. Surgery weight the morning of surgery was 368 now weigh 260' date=' up a about 6 pounds due to being on TPN nutrition and I am sure Water weight. I literally was unable to eat anything substantial, Protein drinks wouldn't stay down. Could not eat anything more than a spoonful of Soup. its been a rough ride.

Surgeons said that kind of weight loss is close to being impossible without serious side effects.

So as much as I wanted the sleeve to work for me...( well I guess technically its working like gang busters). I think I am going to have to convert to the full bypass, my stomach just won't cooperate and I don't have time to wait for to see if its going to get better. This has been going on too long.[/quote']

Let me know how the insurance approval goes and how long it takes and the steps you'll have to take for that...I'm still waiting and miserable and yesterday was my 6 mo surgiversary.

Let me know how the insurance approval goes and how long it takes and the steps you'll have to take for that...I'm still waiting and miserable and yesterday was my 6 mo surgiversary.

Yes, finally, I am scheduled for the original surgery once again, pending insurance, on August 16....and I am more nervous now than even the first sleeve surgery! I am holding steady at my goal weight of 145 which is great but with the new surgery I'm scared to lose too much more! Plus my doctor who's done 4000+ sleeve and bypass surgeries has never done a sleeve revision to bypass because there's never been a need...until now...I'm the statistic!

Your post is the very reason why my doctor is telling me to get the lap band. I have acid reflux problems as well, and he states I would vomit all the time from complications of smaller stomach. I'm only 227 lbs and he said if he did a bypass later I would get malnourished and hair would fall out. Bypass later if I got the sleeve because of the vomiting.

Your post is the very reason why my doctor is telling me to get the lap band. I have acid reflux problems as well' date=' and he states I would vomit all the time from complications of smaller stomach. I'm only 227 lbs and he said if he did a bypass later I would get malnourished and hair would fall out. Bypass later if I got the sleeve because of the vomiting.[/quote']

Yes I understand your dilemma...I on the other hand, never had reflux issues at all until after the sleeve...this is now a last ditch effort on my part...

Yes scary for me and my family. officially 110 pounds in 9 weeks 3 days. Surgery weight the morning of surgery was 368 now weigh 260, up a about 6 pounds due to being on TPN nutrition and I am sure Water weight. I literally was unable to eat anything substantial, Protein drinks wouldn't stay down. Could not eat anything more than a spoonful of Soup. its been a rough ride.

So as much as I wanted the sleeve to work for me...( well I guess technically its working like gang busters). I think I am going to have to convert to the full bypass, my stomach just won't cooperate and I don't have time to wait for to see if its going to get better. This has been going on too long.

So, Risky1, give us an update. I am concerned for you and also very interested to know if you've gone through the bypass surgery and how it went, insurance approval, risks, recovery, etc. Please let us know asap.

The sleeve exacerbated my GERD too. But it happened at 3 weeks post op. The surgeon put me on the max dose of omprezole with Zantac it got a little better but I always felt like my stomach was eating itself and like I was going to throw up....but I didn't. That lasted until about week 12. Visited my surgeon for my second post up follow up, he recommended I see a gastroenterologist to manage the reflux. Be he also felt with time my reflux would resolve....well guess what.....At week 13 I started turning the corner. My reflux is much better and I lowered my drug dose and no really bad issues. For me...I think I needed time. I may still follow up with a GI doctor...but I am feeling better.

Surgeon: Dr. Farrell UNC Hospital 4/24/2013:------ Preop: 239-----Current: 194.6

I currently have GERD and my surgeon mentioned at my consultation that sleeve to bypass is a possibility if I have an exacerbation of reflux after the sleeve. I have done some research and it seems like some people end up have relief eventually of their reflux after the sleeve. I am hoping that I won't need to revise the sleeve to bypass, but my surgeon was clear that I will have to go in knowing its a possibility. Good luck to you. I hope it all works out for you.

So, Risky1, give us an update. I am concerned for you and also very interested to know if you've gone through the bypass surgery and how it went, insurance approval, risks, recovery, etc. Please let us know asap.

My reflux is not a problem any more. However, the last few months have been rough. I have had another leak, a stent placed and then removed. And had a blood infection because if the pic line. Was put on a pic line and TPN because the surgeon had me NPO for the last 5weeks. No Water, no food. Period. He wants my stomach to heal completely before anything goes in it and that means no food or Water. It reduces the enzymes and stomach acid so leaks and fissures can heal.

I was a statistic as well. The 1% that had an issue, I just happen to have all of them.

The last 4 months have been Very difficult. I have never had ulcers or reflux before. Was relatively healthy except for the weight. So the last 4 months have been very difficult. I have spent a total of 30 days in the hospital.

However the last two weeks I have ft better than I have in months. So I am encouraged that I will be fine. I have lost a total of 130 pounds in 4 months. Insane.

I'm so nervous now....being in the tiny percentage of people that just happen to have something go wrong all the time is weighing hard on my mind right now! My surgery for the bypass is on Friday...I weigh 141 at the moment...don't really want to lose too much more weight...and I'm terrified of the risks of this surgery. My doctor said he's done 4000 or so sleeves and I'm the only one he'll have to revise to a bypass....ugh! What if something goes terribly wrong?