Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to decide... HELP!

Could you please tell me why you chose the sleeve over the bypass and how are you doing with the sleeve. I wanted the bypass but doc is pushing me to have the sleeve because I don't have diabetes or heart issues. Now I'm torn. I'm afraid I won't loose the amount of weight I need to (120+ pounds). Thanks for your input! :)

I understand your fears .... First allow me to say you can lose your extra weight with the sleeve. With the bypass the average person is expected to lose 60 - 80 % of their excess weight in a 2 year period. VS the sleeve the expectation is: 50 - 70 % in the a 2 year period.

However, by the time I went to my 5 month appt. I had lost 40% of my extra # already. In total my goal is to lose almost 170 #. Honestly, most surgeons are leaning to the sleeve because there are less complications long term. You absorb nutrients and Vitamins normally because your intestines are the same. If you use the sleeve as directed you can get equal results. Hope this helps! Best wishes!

I went the sleeve because I didn't want dietary restrictions as much as Portion Control. So many with bypass have lifelong dumping. In the seminar the bypass lost my vote when the surgeon said "if you attend a wedding, just don't eat the cake." um....no....I want to be able to eat a piece of my wedding cake. I want to taste my future children's birthday cakes. There are some sleevers that dump, but the stats are much lower compared to bypass. My surgeon's office nurse had a bypass 7 (I think) years ago and her eyes and nose will start to run if anything has too much sugar in it. Like chicken with a sauce. I couldn't do that to myself.

The bypass has been done much longer and for the most part you'll lose more weight faster. Which is great for a scale, not so much for the droppy hound dog appearance. I'm not saying sleevers don't get saggy. My arms are like sails. But if I lost at a faster weight I'm pretty sure they'd be worse.

As for "cutting out the hunger hormone"......ehhh....I still get hungry. Not head hunger, real hunger. But unlike before surgery my stomach doesn't growl, I tend to get nauseas. Some sleevers don't get hungry at all. But there's a good number of us that still do.

I have to lose about the same if not more than you and I went with the sleeve and there are people on here that have lost hundreds of pounds with the sleeve. As long as you follow your surgeons guidelines, and really commit to the lifestyle change involved in any WLS, the weight will come off :)

I am telling EVERYONE to only consider bypass as a last resort. It should be reserved for those who are so overweight, they will die within months if something drastic doesn't happen.

When I met with my surgeon, he asked me why I wanted the sleeve over the band or bypass. I said I didn't want a foreign object inside me long-term (nix the band), and I didn't think bypass was necessary because I could get the results I want with sleeve (-118 lbs). Plus, Dumping Syndrome is a real concern with bypass and it is pretty much non-existent with the sleeve. He agreed. Then, as we discussed my medical history, he said I wasn't a candidate for bypass anyway, because of my liver disease. Why, I asked?

Because part of what is removed during bypass surgery is NEEDED tissue to complete a liver transplant. And, since we already know that it is likely I will need a transplant within the next ten years, I am excluded from bypass.

I argued that, if this is true, NO-ONE should chose bypass EVER! They would be giving up their chance to survive, if they needed a liver transplant later in their lives. What if they suffered an accident or an illness? He said they consider all that when they decide on bypass, and that it is reserved for those that they deem WILL DIE without it.

So, if you have an OPTION, don't chose bypass. You never know what the future holds.

I am telling EVERYONE to only consider bypass as a last resort. It should be reserved for those who are so overweight' date=' they will die within months if something drastic doesn't happen.

When I met with my surgeon, he asked me why I wanted the sleeve over the band or bypass. I said I didn't want a foreign object inside me long-term (nix the band), and I didn't think bypass was necessary because I could get the results I want with sleeve (-118 lbs). Plus, Dumping Syndrome is a real concern with bypass and it is pretty much non-existent with the sleeve. He agreed. Then, as we discussed my medical history, he said I wasn't a candidate for bypass anyway, because of my liver disease. Why, I asked?

Because part of what is removed during bypass surgery is NEEDED tissue to complete a liver transplant. And, since we already know that it is likely I will need a transplant within the next ten years, I am excluded from bypass.

I argued that, if this is true, NO-ONE should chose bypass EVER! They would be giving up their chance to survive, if they needed a liver transplant later in their lives. What if they suffered an accident or an illness? He said they consider all that when they decide on bypass, and that it is reserved for those that they deem WILL DIE without it.

So, if you have an OPTION, don't chose bypass. You never know what the future holds.[/quote']

Wow. I didn't know that! Thanks for the interesting info! I think EVERYONE should be made aware of that.

I do, too! It disturbs me that a decision as huge as WLS is made every day by people unaware of this IMPORTANT piece of info. I understand this applies to the Roux-en-Y procedure. I hope there are other bypass choices that don't endanger the opportunity for a liver transplant.

Wow. I didn't know that! Thanks for the interesting info! I think EVERYONE should be made aware of that.

Holy crap! That's very important!! Thank u for that info!!

Could you please tell me why you chose the sleeve over the bypass and how are you doing with the sleeve. I wanted the bypass but doc is pushing me to have the sleeve because I don't have diabetes or heart issues. Now I'm torn. I'm afraid I won't loose the amount of weight I need to (120+ pounds). Thanks for your input! :)

Don't worry I've been on the journey since last march got sleeved in January 22 since the start I'm 135lbs lighter started at a 56" waist now 44" mega and can buy clothes from "NORMAL" places in the last week I've lost around 8lbs the week before 4lbs it sort of varies can't realy eat bread that is no biggie to me I've tried toasting it and it works not really fussed or hungry just know I've got to get good stuff in not crap I go to a support group every month so the tips and tricks are good I have no regrets and would recommend it I had no pain and was out of hospital in 3 days felt fine to come home strait after the op go for it I can't say enough good things about it good luck what ever you choose :-)

I was NOT a fan of the bypass because I didn't like the idea of re-routing my insides. I liked the idea of the same NORMAL stomach, only smaller. food enters and exits the stomach the exact same way in a regular stomach as it does in a sleeved stomach.

Another reason I didn't want the bypass, is that I didn't want to deal with dumping (do you realize how much sugar is in regular food? ?) Enjoying food is a fun part of life, and I didn't want the forced restrictions on sugar, etc. (Even though a LOT of bypass patients WANT dumping a large percentage of them do not have this issue....so imagine how much THAT would suck if you hope to be a dumper and don't end up that way.) I like to have a few french fries, or a small ice cream cone when I'm out eating with my family.

The sleeve was the perfect middle ground for me. No physical restrictions on sugar, most medications, etc. When I eat a 3oz chicken breast and am completely full for 3 hours, I love my sleeve.

I'm not as opposed to RNY as I was when it was me making my decision about my body (I'm 2.5 YEARS post-op). I can see that it works for a lot of people and that is great for them. I think everyone has to make a decision about what is best for them. If you feel strongly that you want the RNY I would push for that. But do all the research you can, don't just take your surgeon's word on things.