Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heart rate too high?

I started going to the gym last week (was sleeved a month ago on 3/8/2013). I've been doing the elliptical machine, by the third day I got up to 25 minutes. My question is this - when I first get on the elliptical machine, the heartrate monitor on the handles of the machine say that my heartrate is 115 at the start of my workout. By the time I finish my 25 minutes, it is up around 180. This seems really high to me. I don't get lightheaded or dizzy or anything. When I go to the doctor and they put the thing on my finger that tells me what my oxygen level and heart rate are, it's usually around 70-80, so I don't think my heartrate is abnormally high. Why would it be so high on the elliptical machine? I know I'm out of shape, that's why I needed the surgery, LOL. Are they inaccurate or is my heartrate really that high? Why would it be 115 at the start, did it get that high just from changing clothes in the locker room and walking to the machine?

I started going to the gym last week (was sleeved a month ago on 3/8/2013). I've been doing the elliptical machine' date=' by the third day I got up to 25 minutes. My question is this - when I first get on the elliptical machine, the heartrate monitor on the handles of the machine say that my heartrate is 115 at the start of my workout. By the time I finish my 25 minutes, it is up around 180. This seems really high to me. I don't get lightheaded or dizzy or anything. When I go to the doctor and they put the thing on my finger that tells me what my oxygen level and heart rate are, it's usually around 70-80, so I don't think my heartrate is abnormally high. Why would it be so high on the elliptical machine? I know I'm out of shape, that's why I needed the surgery, LOL. Are they inaccurate or is my heartrate really that high? Why would it be 115 at the start, did it get that high just from changing clothes in the locker room and walking to the machine?[/quote']

That is a very high starting and ending heart rate and could raise a red flag. Exercising at 180 is going to overwork your heart.

Mine usually starts at 60. I have to be push really hard for it to get to 145. Really hard. This of course is different from pre op or even from first 6 months for me. I am just giving you the numbers as a point of reference.

The gym machines always record me as dead until about 30 minutes in so I have Always had low heart rate ever since I got serious about cardio back in 2005. Now I use a simple Polar heart rate watch which is more accurate then the cardio machines have ever been. The watch is temporary until I can get a really nice heart rate monitoring device.

I have not been to a "gym" (eg LA Fitness, 24 hour) for their cardio machines in years. I work out at home.

Maybe you can discuss this high BP very soon with your PCP because it would seem you have something medical going on. If you do not mind me asking, what is your weight and age. These two numbers are used to determine an ideal cardio and fat burn heart rate for you.

Please be *careful* considering the high heart rate you are experiencing. Do not need an ER trip from the gym. Maybe something like walking would be better until your fitness improves and/or body weight decreases. Just a suggestion without really knowing much about you or your circumstances.

Many WLS folks do not really get serious about an exercise plan that involves gym cardio and/or lifting until month 5. Remember you are recovering from a major surgery.

Thanks for the input. I am 42, and my starting weight was 274, as of this morning I am 239. I am on blood pressure medication. About 5 years ago I went for a cardiac stress test, and was told that I had a slightly leaky valve. My cardiologist and primary doctor didn't seem too concerned about it at the time, just that it was something we would keep an eye on. I had to do another stress test to get clearance for surgery, and haven't been told of anything alarming. I have an appointment with my primary next Thursday, I will definitely bring it up to him.

Thanks for the input. I am 42' date=' and my starting weight was 274, as of this morning I am 239. I am on blood pressure medication. About 5 years ago I went for a cardiac stress test, and was told that I had a slightly leaky valve. My cardiologist and primary doctor didn't seem too concerned about it at the time, just that it was something we would keep an eye on. I had to do another stress test to get clearance for surgery, and haven't been told of anything alarming. I have an appointment with my primary next Thursday, I will definitely bring it up to him.[/quote']

Oh, you are definitely at a much lower weight then I was pre op (360 lb and 37 years old). It would not seem to be weight related for you, but I do hope you get to the bottom of it, whatever it may be.

Thanks! I thought it was really high, but since I didn't have any lightheadedness or dizzyness, I figured it was ok, and would just come down as I got into better shape.

I started going to the gym last week (was sleeved a month ago on 3/8/2013). I've been doing the elliptical machine, by the third day I got up to 25 minutes. My question is this - when I first get on the elliptical machine, the heartrate monitor on the handles of the machine say that my heartrate is 115 at the start of my workout. By the time I finish my 25 minutes, it is up around 180. This seems really high to me. I don't get lightheaded or dizzy or anything. When I go to the doctor and they put the thing on my finger that tells me what my oxygen level and heart rate are, it's usually around 70-80, so I don't think my heartrate is abnormally high. Why would it be so high on the elliptical machine? I know I'm out of shape, that's why I needed the surgery, LOL. Are they inaccurate or is my heartrate really that high? Why would it be 115 at the start, did it get that high just from changing clothes in the locker room and walking to the machine?

Are you getting the same indication on different elliptical machines? I don't trust those heart rate monitors and bring my own to the gym.

Unless you're climbing stairs to get to the elliptical, 115 seems high. I'm 50 y/o 392lbs and it takes me a couple minutes of effort to get to 115.

Are you getting the same indication on different elliptical machines? I don't trust those heart rate monitors and bring my own to the gym.

Unless you're climbing stairs to get to the elliptical' date=' 115 seems high. I'm 50 y/o 392lbs and it takes me a couple minutes of effort to get to 115.[/quote']

It's funny, I'm always drawn to the same machine for some reason, guess I'm a creature of habit. I'll have to try a different one tomorrow. I was wondering how reliable those heart monitors are anyway.

Joe, I tend to have a low resting heart rate and fast recovery time which is good... but my heart goes way way up with exercise beyond what the formulas say it should.. My pcp a few years ago when I first noticed this trend was also a cardiologist. He ran some tests and said I'm perfectly healthy and that I should pay attention to how I'm feeling and to my breathing during exercise and not really worry to much about the heart rate exercise formulas.... my experience should not be mistaken for medical advice.

Joe' date=' I tend to have a low resting heart rate and fast recovery time which is good... but my heart goes way way up with exercise beyond what the formulas say it should.. My pcp a few years ago when I first noticed this trend was also a cardiologist. He ran some tests and said I'm perfectly healthy and that I should pay attention to how I'm feeling and to my breathing during exercise and not really worry to much about the heart rate exercise formulas.... my experience should not be mistaken for medical advice.[/quote']

Thanks. Now I'm not sure if I should continue working out or wait until I see my doctor next week. I'd really hate to stop now, I'm getting into a routine during my lunch hour and would hate to break my momentum.

You might try a moderate walking pace on a treadmill till you talk to the doc unless even that takes you pretty high as well. That way you could at least get some exercise and stay in your routine of going to the gym at lunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

Thanks. Now I'm not sure if I should continue working out or wait until I see my doctor next week. I'd really hate to stop now' date=' I'm getting into a routine during my lunch hour and would hate to break my momentum.[/quote']

If you are winded, or having trouble having a conversation, you're in your HIGH (zone 3) for your HR. i am calculating your age and weight to get this number, not any medical conditions at all. 180 is really high, and at 180, I am sucking serious wind and can't say but one or two words at a time.

The machine may have been 'faulty,' but definitely judge it by the description I described above. If you do leisurely walking, zone 1 is comfortable and is the FAT BURNING zone for those of us overweight/obese, until it is time to progress.

Take it easy until you see the doc. Leisurely walking is still burning calories and safe. ;)

Keep us updated. :)

Thanks. Now I'm not sure if I should continue working out or wait until I see my doctor next week. I'd really hate to stop now' date=' I'm getting into a routine during my lunch hour and would hate to break my momentum.[/quote']

I haven't began to exercise but my hear rate was higher at my 2 week visit 115. Two days later I went to see my PCP and they did a ECHO and he said it was at like 90 resting and wants me to go do labs in a month and said he was going to keep a watch on it. After my surgery before I left the hospital they took me off of my Lisinopril.

If you are winded' date=' or having trouble having a conversation, you're in your HIGH (zone 3) for your HR. i am calculating your age and weight to get this number, not any medical conditions at all. 180 is really high, and at 180, I am sucking serious wind and can't say but one or two words at a time.

The machine may have been 'faulty,' but definitely judge it by the description I described above. If you do leisurely walking, zone 1 is comfortable and is the FAT BURNING zone for those of us overweight/obese, until it is time to progress.

Take it easy until you see the doc. Leisurely walking is still burning calories and safe. ;)

Keep us updated. :)[/quote']

That's the thing though, I'm not winded at all, barely even break a sweat until around 15-20 minutes. Before the surgery I would get winded going up a flight of stairs.

My heart rate doing hill sprints (no sissy baby hill sprints, all out balls to the wall legs going to die hill sprints) gets up to 170-180 from time to time. When I'm on the elliptical, I cannot get my heart rate above 150 it seems, even doing 11-12 MPH on that damn thing. On the treadmill when sprinting at 9 no incline it'll get up to around 180 doing intervals, which isn't an issue, but if it's peaking 180 and staying at 180, it could potentially lead to an issue, plus you're likely burning ZERO fat calories while doing a work out at that sustained heart rate. Ever look at the treadmill and see the heart rate zones? A lot of people call BS, and those zones on the treadmill very well may be BS FOR YOU, but the science behind those zones is fact. Working out with a heart rate too high will be anaerobic and will burn off glucose instead of fat calories, pretty much negating your workout if you want to lose fat.

So are you saying I would be better off NOT working out?