Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Yeah, it's been pretty confusing for sure. Dr. K was so certain the first time because he said within 24 hours there was 2 cc less in there and he was going to leave my band empty but I said no put back in what I had yesterday thinking even a few hours of restriction would be better than none so why not? At that point he said Fluoro wouldn't help much because there had to be a leak. That's when I found that I was overfilled so I am glad I had him fill it back up. But of course now that he is pretty certain that he punctured it I don't know what to think. I have been thinking a lot about all of this and I think I would like some kind of test whether fluro or ultrasound or whatever. If nothing else, just to know that the band is in place and rule that out. Would a regular ultrasound be able to show that? Because maybe I can just have my PCP here order that.

Deb, It doesn't make sense to me. So let me get this straight - perhaps you didn't have a leak, but now you do? How is your restriction now? It's very confusing!

I would think there should be a test you can do to check before having another surgery.

Yeah, it's been pretty confusing for sure. Dr. K was so certain the first time because he said within 24 hours there was 2 cc less in there and he was going to leave my band empty but I said no put back in what I had yesterday thinking even a few hours of restriction would be better than none so why not? At that point he said Fluoro wouldn't help much because there had to be a leak. That's when I found that I was overfilled so I am glad I had him fill it back up. But of course now that he is pretty certain that he punctured it I don't know what to think. I have been thinking a lot about all of this and I think I would like some kind of test whether fluro or ultrasound or whatever. If nothing else, just to know that the band is in place and rule that out. Would a regular ultrasound be able to show that? Because maybe I can just have my PCP here order that.

Ugh, you poor thing! It really stinks you're dealing with all this, and what makes it worse is that you aren't local!!! I'm keeping you in my thoughts. :thumbup:

Ugh, you poor thing! It really stinks you're dealing with all this, and what makes it worse is that you aren't local!!! I'm keeping you in my thoughts. :thumbup:

How are you feeling Miss Jaime? Are you on to fulls yet? What are you eating? Are your GI problems improving? I agree with others that it's most likely the antibiotics. Some antibiotics are well known for causing GI disturbances.

OMG OMG OMG

OK so I know it's only because I've been on liquids, but I've lost 8lbs since I got weighed in at Dr. K's office the day before surgery.

OMG OMG OMG

I hope I don't gain it all back once I get to mushies. I promise to make really good choices and not just eat mashed potatoes for a whole week!!! Please please please PLEASE just let me not gain it all back!!! :thumbup:

How are you feeling Miss Jaime? Are you on to fulls yet? What are you eating? Are your GI problems improving? I agree with others that it's most likely the antibiotics. Some antibiotics are well known for causing GI disturbances.

I'm fabulous!!! I feel wonderful!!! My incision sites are sore, but that's to be expected. I was able to sleep on my right side (non port side) on Saturday night, and last night I got onto my left side!!! YAY!!!

GI problems went away by Saturday night. Boy, that was a rough couple of days, hahaha.

On Saturday, the only real "full" liquid I had was an individual cup of sf vanilla pudding. But Sunday, I had a pudding, a package of cheddar grits that were watered down, and 1cup of cream of chicken and broccoli Soup that I super-blended in my Bullet. :eek:

I'm really loving this. Really. Today I promised myself two things - I will start getting in my Protein, via shakes or protein bullets, and I will start walking. I've been laying around on my arse for a few days. That stops today! I'm working from home beginning today, so I'm tied to the desk a few hours. But once I'm done, I plan to walk at least 15mins every hour on that treadmill....OK, maybe just 10mins an hour to start. :thumbup:

OMG OMG OMG

OK so I know it's only because I've been on liquids, but I've lost 8lbs since I got weighed in at Dr. K's office the day before surgery.

OMG OMG OMG

I hope I don't gain it all back once I get to mushies. I promise to make really good choices and not just eat mashed potatoes for a whole week!!! Please please please PLEASE just let me not gain it all back!!! :thumbup:

WOOHOO!!!!!! That's so exciting! Well, you'll probably gain back SOME of it, but not all. And then you'll start losing again. YAY FOR YOUR BAND!!!

I'm fabulous!!! I feel wonderful!!! My incision sites are sore, but that's to be expected. I was able to sleep on my right side (non port side) on Saturday night, and last night I got onto my left side!!! YAY!!!

GI problems went away by Saturday night. Boy, that was a rough couple of days, hahaha.

On Saturday, the only real "full" liquid I had was an individual cup of sf vanilla pudding. But Sunday, I had a pudding, a package of cheddar grits that were watered down, and 1cup of cream of chicken and broccoli Soup that I super-blended in my Bullet. :eek:

I'm really loving this. Really. Today I promised myself two things - I will start getting in my Protein, via shakes or protein bullets, and I will start walking. I've been laying around on my arse for a few days. That stops today! I'm working from home beginning today, so I'm tied to the desk a few hours. But once I'm done, I plan to walk at least 15mins every hour on that treadmill....OK, maybe just 10mins an hour to start. :thumbup:

Honey, We all gain a little when we start eating solids. It's normal, BUT I promise you will return to losing after your body adjusts.

My fave full was blended brocolli and cheddar soup from Safeway. It was so good! I could only eat 1/2 cup at the most.

I think my fill is perfect! I ate 1/2 cup of my hummus last night and I was so full. It was so good! This morning, I had one egg and half of a slice of flax oat bran toast with 1/3 fat cream cheese spread. It was so good!

Honey, We all gain a little when we start eating solids. It's normal, BUT I promise you will return to losing after your body adjusts.

My fave full was blended brocolli and cheddar Soup from Safeway. It was so good! I could only eat 1/2 cup at the most.

I think my fill is perfect! I ate 1/2 cup of my hummus last night and I was so full. It was so good! This morning, I had one egg and half of a slice of flax oat bran toast with 1/3 fat cream cheese spread. It was so good!

Oh good! That sounds just right!

GO DEE!!!!

OH! I meant to tell everyone. I almost got stuck last night! :thumbup:

Applesauce! I tried to have a little snack last night, and Dr. K himself told me I could try applesauce on Day 2 or 3 and it wouldn't hurt. Well, after 3 small bites, I felt sharp pain in my chest, and it just wouldn't go away! I could actually feel the applesauce trying to go through the band. Talk about weird! First time I'd actually felt the band, ya know?

Gosh it was so strange. After about 5 minutes it went through, so I guess it wasn't ever going to really get stuck, but it darn sure was too much to be trying to go through at this point post-op. I was so shocked! Who knew the opening would be that small??? Anyways, applesauce is now on my No-No List! At least until I'm completely healed and onto mushies! :eek:

OH! I meant to tell everyone. I almost got stuck last night! :thumbup:

Applesauce! I tried to have a little snack last night, and Dr. K himself told me I could try applesauce on Day 2 or 3 and it wouldn't hurt. Well, after 3 small bites, I felt sharp pain in my chest, and it just wouldn't go away! I could actually feel the applesauce trying to go through the band. Talk about weird! First time I'd actually felt the band, ya know?

Gosh it was so strange. After about 5 minutes it went through, so I guess it wasn't ever going to really get stuck, but it darn sure was too much to be trying to go through at this point post-op. I was so shocked! Who knew the opening would be that small??? Anyways, applesauce is now on my No-No List! At least until I'm completely healed and onto mushies! :eek:

Well, I think there is a LOT of swelling after surgery. My upper tummy area was sooooo swollen. Isn't that the most awful feeling though?

Hi Deb,

I would say that your maximum Water intake, under normal conditions, should be 12 8-oz glasses per day. Of course if you were hiking the grand canyon, etc., then more would be warranted.

Well, i am at about a gallon a day. Me in the Grand Canyon, what a hoot!:thumbup:

OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG

I hope I don't gain it all back once I get to mushies. I promise to make really good choices and not just eat mashed potatoes for a whole week!!! Please please please PLEASE just let me not gain it all back!!! :eek:

Good on ya, J! SF popsicles, SF choc. pudding, SF Jello were my best friends!! they helped get me through much of the hunger ache in between meals.

Deb, It doesn't make sense to me. So let me get this straight - perhaps you didn't have a leak, but now you do? How is your restriction now? It's very confusing!

I would think there should be a test you can do to check before having another surgery.

I know, none of it really makes sense. I didn't have a leak I am guessing since I was so very tight (from Fridays fill) But still he only pulled out 6 cc's when there should have been a little over 7.1 (on Saturday) I am now at 5.5 and I am having some restriction so I don't think I have a leak at this point. I am just wondering if there isn't some swelling after all those fills and unfills (3 in 3 days) so I will see how the restriction is in a couple of days. When he accessed my port he realized he wasn't in the port and said he had to either be in my muscle (which I would have felt) or in the tubing (which would have created a leak). He said if he didn't puncture it it will just be because we got incredibly lucky somehow. The confusing thing to me is how he keeps withdrawing such different amounts compared to what he says he put in. In one visit alone (Friday) he got two different amounts. Once he pulled out 5 and once he pulled out 6. I think somewhere along the line he miscalculated. Either that or something really strange is happening. He said he has never once had anything like this happen so he said we are leaving it at I don't know for now.

Good on ya, J! SF popsicles, SF choc. pudding, SF Jello were my best friends!! they helped get me through much of the hunger ache in between meals.

Luckily, and I thank the grace of God for this one - I've yet to really feel hungry. I've eaten because it seems like I should be eating, and not because I've actually hungered for it. Hope this keeps up at least another week!! :thumbup:

Thanks Jaime, I'm really ok with all of it, just a bit confused ya know? Not really sure what is going on but it is what it is and whatever it turns out to be (if anything) I'll deal with it. It has all just been very weird. A lot in three days. You sound like you are doing great. I didn't lose anything on liquids so good for you!

I know, none of it really makes sense. I didn't have a leak I am guessing since I was so very tight (from Fridays fill) But still he only pulled out 6 cc's when there should have been a little over 7.1 (on Saturday) I am now at 5.5 and I am having some restriction so I don't think I have a leak at this point. I am just wondering if there isn't some swelling after all those fills and unfills (3 in 3 days) so I will see how the restriction is in a couple of days. When he accessed my port he realized he wasn't in the port and said he had to either be in my muscle (which I would have felt) or in the tubing (which would have created a leak). He said if he didn't puncture it it will just be because we got incredibly lucky somehow. The confusing thing to me is how he keeps withdrawing such different amounts compared to what he says he put in. In one visit alone (Friday) he got two different amounts. Once he pulled out 5 and once he pulled out 6. I think somewhere along the line he miscalculated. Either that or something really strange is happening. He said he has never once had anything like this happen so he said we are leaving it at I don't know for now.

Crud, what a mess. I don't understand the whole amount thing either. I never have the same amount from one fill to the next. And the guy who does my fills refers to "net amount" because a certain amount stays in the tube, etc. Let us know what ends up happening. I KNOW I read somewhere about some sort of "flat tire" stuff they could inject that can seal a small leak . . . maybe search on the site about leaks or something?