Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Lord help me, it was one of those weeks....tonight, I poured myself a beer. :rolleyes2:

I took one sip, and nearly choked. Not because it hurt, but because it tasted terrible. I can not believe how bad it tasted, and this is Miller Lite - my most favorite beer ever! I could chug one down inside of 15 seconds if I was thirsty! OMG! My tastes have changed so drastically since surgery, it's amazing. My 3yr obsession with beer is finally...over. :cursing:

Deb [deboregon], you definitely need to try beer. Just one sip shouldn't hurt. I'd just like to know if a fellow Beer Lover is also disliking the taste of beer as much as I am!

Aloha my friends!

I hope everyone is doing well. I have been MIA for quite a while, but I wanted to drop in and let you know that I still check in every now and then and I think about my Bandito buddies often.

After running my first 5k I kind of fell off the wagon, slacked off on the working out, made lots of wrong food choices and gained 7 lbs!!! I am back on track with the gym, food choices are always tough, and I hope to start losing again (I have been the FOREVER plateau girl). uggggh!

Jamie, I was a big beer drinker before my band. At first I really missed it, but not so much now.

Cheers!

Good morning lap band ladies. Sorry I've not posted the weight updates. I've been stupid busy. It's finals, that wedding thing is looming, and last night I hosted our annual departmental holiday party at our house. It's a fun party . . . everyone brings a bottle of their favorite champagne and an appetizer to share.

That being said, I know I'm not supposed to drink carbonated things, but I decided to try the champagne. It really was fine, other than the fact that I AM SUCH A LIGHTWEIGHT NOW!!! I just couldn't drink much at all before feeling really blech . . . It was still really fun though.

I haven't tried beer. Maybe I;ll take a sip of hubby's and see if it tastes bad. The champagne tasted great.

Mal, it's good to hear from you. Sorry that you've fallen off the wagon. Would a fill help???

I ended up drinking about 1/3 of it, but it didn't taste good at all. It didn't hurt me to drink it though. A few more burps than usual, but nothing painful. I'm just so disappointed that it didn't taste good. :)

I think that would make a wonderful Christmas card! Now tell me, did you bring those hats to his office?

Absolutely!

I'm not a goody two shoes, but aren't you afraid of stretching you pouch with carbinated drinks? !?!?

I guess I figured one beer wouldn't hurt. But as it was, I only got in 1/3 of it before I had to send it away. Can drinking that little bit of carbonated beverage actually stretch my pouch???? :)

I guess I figured one beer wouldn't hurt. But as it was, I only got in 1/3 of it before I had to send it away. Can drinking that little bit of carbonated beverage actually stretch my pouch???? :)

it's the carbonation that can stretch the pouch over time. we won't feel the pain or have problems immediately - it's could be doing the damage without us knowing. the same thing happens when we overeat and ignore our soft stops. I don't think band problems happen overnight, I think they happen a little at a time.

Edited by PrtyAntOvrYt

it's the carbonation that can stretch the pouch over time. we won't feel the pain or have problems immediately - it's could be doing the damage without us knowing. the same thing happens when we overeat and ignore our soft stops. I don't think band problems happen overnight, I think they happen a little at a time.

I don't really get the carbonation thing though. I mean, if you drink it when your pouch is full, then I can see how it could cause problems but that seems like it would also hurt. but if you drink it when your pouch is empty and it just goes through, I don't really get how it would hurt it. I've tried to research it and come up with a bunch of conflicting answers. Weird.

I don't really get the carbonation thing though. I mean, if you drink it when your pouch is full, then I can see how it could cause problems but that seems like it would also hurt. but if you drink it when your pouch is empty and it just goes through, I don't really get how it would hurt it. I've tried to research it and come up with a bunch of conflicting answers. Weird.

You're right! It doesn't make sense to me either! Packing the pouch does and from experience using straws makes sense too, but carbonation on an empty tummy doesn't. Even with really good restriction, it would just pass through pretty quickly - esp. if you didn't chug it!

You're right! It doesn't make sense to me either! Packing the pouch does and from experience using straws makes sense too, but carbonation on an empty tummy doesn't. Even with really good restriction, it would just pass through pretty quickly - esp. if you didn't chug it!

I don't know, I guess I just always have to know WHY you should do or not do something. I'm just a geek that way. So I've read lots of the medical literature about the band (I spent a lot of time reading about it the band in journals before my surgery because of my autoimmune stuff) and I can't actually find any studies about carbonation. So I think it must be kind of anecdotal . . . on the other hand, why take a chance. I have no desire to drink soda, and really don't even miss beer anymore. But I do love my once a year champagne . . .

I don't know, I guess I just always have to know WHY you should do or not do something. I'm just a geek that way. So I've read lots of the medical literature about the band (I spent a lot of time reading about it the band in journals before my surgery because of my autoimmune stuff) and I can't actually find any studies about carbonation. So I think it must be kind of anecdotal . . . on the other hand, why take a chance. I have no desire to drink soda, and really don't even miss beer anymore. But I do love my once a year champagne . . .

I miss my straws! I only use one when I'm on vacation - a road trip - and I always feel this bloated feeling and couldn't understand why until this last time - then it hit me, it was the straw! I had this 'lump' feeling in the throat for hours! then I had a bloated feeling and a horrible tummy ache! it happened when we went to vegas, when we went to cheyenne and everytime we've taken a road trip, because I use straws.

I miss my straws! I only use one when I'm on vacation - a road trip - and I always feel this bloated feeling and couldn't understand why until this last time - then it hit me, it was the straw! I had this 'lump' feeling in the throat for hours! then I had a bloated feeling and a horrible tummy ache! it happened when we went to vegas, when we went to cheyenne and everytime we've taken a road trip, because I use straws.

wow, that's wild. I don't think I've used a straw since surgery. I have such bad gas all the time I'd probably blow up!

It was so weird at our party last night . . . there were all these platters of wonderful hors' doeuvres and I was absolutely fine just tasting a little of this and a little of that. Gotta' love the band.

I think an occasional beer, soda or champagne isn't going to hurt anything. We have to live out lives and enjoy ourselves. Some docs say tell their patients to never eat carbs again - including any sweets. IF I could do that, I wouldn't have needed the band in the first place. I don't want to diet the rest of my life. Sure, I want to eat better and smaller portions, but if I want a bite of a cookie or something special once in a while. I should be able to!