Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From one eating disorder to another?

Are there any vets who have experienced problems changing from weight loss to maintenance?

Because mentally, I am struggling to adjust. During my losing phase, I was dedicated, or maybe I should say Dedicated - capital D. I went from 255 to 124 in 10 months. Had plastic surgery. Have a complication from losing weight too fast (it's incredibly rare, but does happen).

Now, I see myself and see a size 10 - but I actually wear a 0 or maybe a 2. To me, it seems if I just lose 10-12 more lbs maybe that would be perfect. But each weight I reach that's been what I think - just another 10 lbs and it will be enough.

I can't tell if it's really a problem, or just a natural adjustment after working so hard and giving so much of my time and energy to my weight loss.

Has this happened to anyone else? I just haven't read many other people talking about it. I hesitate to bring it up, so please try to be sensitive. Thanks for any input.

You haven't read many of these posts because most people who post them get attacked for rubbing a great loss in the faces of slow losers, or not being grateful for the results that you wanted from the tool that you got. That is the reason I haven't really posted. I am down to just under 120lb, consistently wear size 2, because of excess skin, if it weren't for that, I think 0s would fall off. I lost all my weight in 6 months. I hate my body, its still disgustingly fat and ugly. It's a head thing and I'm working through it. Good luck.

Maybe you should think about seeing a phycologist. I had eating disorders growing up (bulimic, binge eating disorder and anorexic tendencies) and in the beggining it was exactly what you are describing. Just 10lbs more then ill stop. Then it's another 10lbs and I'll stop. It goes on and on til your in hospital (ok maybe a bit dramatic haha but you get my point).

Even just discussing these thought and feelings could really help you sort through them

Have you uped your cals?

The body image thing I think is going to take a while for your brain to catch up, no matter what anyone tells you. My fam keeps yelling at me to stop losing (not that I'm even trying, I eat like a pig but I still dropped 2 sizes since Christmas.. Not that its a grand amount but I feel like I shouldnt be losing at this point let alone the way I eat) but I keep in my brain my sister is 2 sizes smaller than me and they dont yell at her.. And I'm extremely self conscious that my skin is so saggy in my thighs and my bum looks like it 'hangs' And the 9 scars that look like gross wrinkly white wormies on my tummy, dont even get me started. :( I think I'm more worried about the way I look now than BEFORE the surgery..

I think more people have these problems though than what is admitted.

Oh my gosh! This is totally my struggle as well! I just posted something similar!

I started at 215. I am 127 now, and I am 5 foot tall.

I keep saying that I KNOW I am thinner because of the sizes I can wear, but I feel like I am maybe a 12, instead of a 2 or 4.

I don't have any advice, but you are not alone in this!

I'm having a hard time determining your BMI from your ticker: it lists your weight as 139 and BMI of 22.3. If you are currently at 124, your BMI is probably closer to 20. So if that is correct, I don't think you should lose another 10.

I am happier, stronger, and healthier as a thin person, but I don't look in the mirror and see a perfect body. I am saggy and wrinkly and that's the way I'm gonna stay! I am still surprised to see myself in mirror sometimes and I have been at goal for a year. And I still have down days, health issues, and wish I was stronger.

Negative self talk happens to everyone. Just catch yourself and ask what you tell a friend. That's what you should be telling yourself. So for me that message is: "Great job! Aren't you feeling wonderful now? I'm so proud of you! You look great!"

Lynda

I'm having a hard time determining your BMI from your ticker: it lists your weight as 139 and BMI of 22.3. If you are currently at 124' date=' your BMI is probably closer to 20. So if that is correct, I don't think you should lose another 10.

I am happier, stronger, and healthier as a thin person, but I don't look in the mirror and see a perfect body. I am saggy and wrinkly and that's the way I'm gonna stay! I am still surprised to see myself in mirror sometimes and I have been at goal for a year. And I still have down days, health issues, and wish I was stronger.

Negative self talk happens to everyone. Just catch yourself and ask what you tell a friend. That's what you should be telling yourself. So for me that message is: "Great job! Aren't you feeling wonderful now? I'm so proud of you! You look great!"

Lynda[/quote']

I can't update my ticker except from an actual computer - which I don't access very often. I weighed 139 at the beginning of Feb and haven't been back on a computer since. I'm pretty much just an iPad and iPhone person - I probably shouldn't have a ticker!

I would tell a friend that if they wore a size 0 or 2 that it was small enough. But I don't see that in the mirror or when I look at my body. I see a size 10 - which isn't big in any way, it's just that I see here or there places where I could stand to lose a little more. It's very strange! I just don't do well keeping my objectivity when it comes to my own body, that is for sure.

It sounds like you keep a very balanced perspective.

Maybe you should think about seeing a phycologist. I had eating disorders growing up (bulimic' date=' binge eating disorder and anorexic tendencies) and in the beggining it was exactly what you are describing. Just 10lbs more then ill stop. Then it's another 10lbs and I'll stop. It goes on and on til your in hospital (ok maybe a bit dramatic haha but you get my point).

Even just discussing these thought and feelings could really help you sort through them[/quote']

Thanks for the tip. I see a therapist, but getting advice here can be pretty invaluable too. The issue is that no therapist in my area has any training or experience with bariatrics. So, yes, talking about disordered thinking around food is helpful, but I am also interested in knowing if other bariatric patients are coming upon similar problems as/after they switch to maintenance. I do agree, therapy can be helpful for many issues.

Maybe I'm simplifying here, but the only advice to be given is see a psychologist. Right away. You got the sleeve to get healthy. Now, you're heading in the direction of being unhealthy again for a different reason. Don't wait. Call tomorrow morning.

Amanda Rae

You haven't read many of these posts because most people who post them get attacked for rubbing a great loss in the faces of slow losers' date=' or not being grateful for the results that you wanted from the tool that you got. That is the reason I haven't really posted. I am down to just under 120lb, consistently wear size 2, because of excess skin, if it weren't for that, I think 0s would fall off. I lost all my weight in 6 months. I hate my body, its still disgustingly fat and ugly. It's a head thing and I'm working through it. Good luck.[/quote']

Thank you for posting your experience. It's nice to know there are others who have also struggled in this area!

Maybe I'm simplifying here' date=' but the only advice to be given is see a psychologist. Right away. You got the sleeve to get healthy. Now, you're heading in the direction of being unhealthy again for a different reason. Don't wait. Call tomorrow morning.

Amanda Rae[/quote']

Thanks for the concern - we posted at about the same time so you'll see I already see a therapist. I should have put a disclaimer in my original post! :)

You mentioned you lost a significant amount of weight in 10 months and that you had plastic surgery.

When was your sleeve surgery and when was your plastic surgery? I was initially thinking that if you lost that much weight that quickly, you might still be adjusting mentally. But having plastic surgery made me think you had lived at the smaller size for a while. If I consider you might have fast tracked all of that, I would guess you were at your heavier weight just two years ago. This makes me think all of the changes are a LOT to process, and I am not surprised you are unsure of yourself.

What I suggest is that you take photos of yourself now. I also suggest you look at your photos from back then. Compare them. Analyze them. See how much progress you have made. In your current photos, take pictures of you with other people too -- especially people that you might have been photographed with in your larger size.

This can help put things in perspective. I know that seeing myself in pictures lets me see things I never see when I look in a mirror. I think it can be even more helpful if you can do it wearing clothes you wore in your before pictures or next to objects from your before picture. It lets you see how much is missing now.

Good luck! And I am so curious about your complications from losing weight too fast.

Thanks for the concern - we posted at about the same time so you'll see I already see a therapist. I should have put a disclaimer in my original post! :)

I saw that when my post submitted. I really hope things get better for you soon.

Amanda Rae

We have talked about dismorphia on this forum in many threads. I think it is a normal thing to go through. I do tend to think you maybe could use someone to talk to about it. It really helped me ALOT to have 4 surgeons(my band to sleeve revision surgeon plus 3 plastic surgeon consults) tell me that I was a healthy weight and didn't need to lose anymore. It helped me alot to have friends tell me the same. You know what was even more convincing... I am so vain...lol...I got alot more attention from men when I was a few pounds heavier even then i am now. I think from a looks point of view, most people like a little curve on a girl...lol

We all have our own struggles with all these topics. For me, my health, a good long active life and looking attractive were all alot more important then a clothing size or number on a scale. IT helped me alot to "hear" the feedback from a lot of people i trusted to come to the conclusion that while i could lose another 10-30 pounds, I am pretty damn happy right here. :)

Good luck in working through this to finding your comfort/happy zone. And don't feel shy to share your feelings here.

You mentioned you lost a significant amount of weight in 10 months and that you had plastic surgery.

When was your sleeve surgery and when was your plastic surgery? I was initially thinking that if you lost that much weight that quickly' date=' you might still be adjusting mentally. But having plastic surgery made me think you had lived at the smaller size for a while. If I consider you might have fast tracked all of that, I would guess you were at your heavier weight just two years ago. This makes me think all of the changes are a LOT to process, and I am not surprised you are unsure of yourself.

What I suggest is that you take photos of yourself now. I also suggest you look at your photos from back then. Compare them. Analyze them. See how much progress you have made. In your current photos, take pictures of you with other people too -- especially people that you might have been photographed with in your larger size.

This can help put things in perspective. I know that seeing myself in pictures lets me see things I never see when I look in a mirror. I think it can be even more helpful if you can do it wearing clothes you wore in your before pictures or next to objects from your before picture. It lets you see how much is missing now.

Good luck! And I am so curious about your complications from losing weight too fast.[/quote']

My sleeve was 5/10/12. My facelift was 12/31/12. I was past my surgeon's goal of 155, at my initial personal goal of 145. My next surgery was a Tummy Tuck and thigh lift on 2/6/13. I weighed 139 and had 4 lbs, 6 ozs taken off.

As of 3/17 I weighed 124. I haven't been able to weigh since then as I have been traveling. (Talk about stress - being away from the scale!!). I have to seriously slow and limit the weight loss or face some serious consequences and am being closely monitored by several physicians. It was a close call for traveling and I had to commit to trying hard not to lose weight.

Yes, this all happened fast. In less than a year my body has changed drastically. I do see in pictures a profound change. I only have one photo from before.

post-30041-13813664233362_thumb.jpg