Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

? about odd cramps 1 day after starting liquid Pre Op diet

I am going to call my doctor in the morning but thought I would post my experience and question here. I am new to the forum but have been in a Lap Band forum for about the past month. I have since decided to get sleeved instead of banded.

I just had my Pre Op work ups done yesterday and I am scheduled for my surgery on March 29th!!! Very excited.

Here is my question. I am now on day three of my liquid diet which has not been bad at all. The Boost Protein Shakes are doing a good job at keeping my hunger at bay. The problem is that the Evening of day 1 that I started the liquid diet I started having really bad cramps pretty often. At first I was not concerned but now that the cramps have continued I am trying to figure out why they are happening. I am assuming it is from the liquid diet but found it strange to start so soon after being on it???

I am getting cramps in places that I have never had them before and that makes me believe that it is the diet. I have had the cramps in my back upper thighs, my chin/neck area, and one each side of my stomach. I seems that if I bend or stretch at times my sides will cramp up. I have never experienced these type of cramps.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of this? Any suggestions? Obviously my body is probably lacking something... would it just be potassium? I just had blood work done last week and everything was perfect and in range.

I'm so sorry! That sounds awful! I know from past experience that liquid diets can cause some muscle fatigue and/or cramping, but in just one day that seems odd. I would definitely talk to your doc about it. I know you're on liquids, but are you drinking enough Water? Drinking plenty of water can really help with muscle cramps, though it would seem you'd be getting plenty on a liquid diet! lol But upping your water intake for right now, may help some until you can talk to the doc tomorrow!! Hope you feel better soon!! It'll all be worth it!

I'm so sorry! That sounds awful! I know from past experience that liquid diets can cause some muscle fatigue and/or cramping, but in just one day that seems odd. I would definitely talk to your doc about it. I know you're on liquids, but are you drinking enough Water? Drinking plenty of Water can really help with muscle cramps, though it would seem you'd be getting plenty on a liquid diet! lol But upping your water intake for right now, may help some until you can talk to the doc tomorrow!! Hope you feel better soon!! It'll all be worth it!

Thank you for your reply :) You are sooo right. I wonder if I am getting enough water. I was sitting here thinking about it after reading your post. I am definitely drinking water but not nearly as much as I was before the liquid diet. I am guessing because I am drinking my meals I have not been sipping on my water the same. I could be wrong but looking back it is very possibly I am not drinking as much. Still going to check with the doctor though.

Thank you!

You're very welcome!! When I've had to be on liquid diets for other surgeries I definitely let my Water intake drop. It just doesn't occur to you when you're drinking everything else!! Lol Hopefully that will help until you talk to the doc!! Certainly won't hurt anyway :)

I am in the same boat with you. I have learned that those little heating Patches work really good. I have had abnormal pain in my sides. My doctor informed me that as my liver is shrinking during pre-op that you will experience some strange pains.

Good luck with everything! :)

PS: Heat Theraphy Patches - .97 cent at Wal-Mart :)

I am in the same boat with you. I have learned that those little heating Patches work really good. I have had abnormal pain in my sides. My doctor informed me that as my liver is shrinking during pre-op that you will experience some strange pains.

Good luck with everything! :)

PS: Heat Theraphy Patches - .97 cent at Wal-Mart :)

Ohhh okay. Reading this makes me feel much better. The crazy thing is that I just weighed myself and I went from 376 lbs to 365lbs in 3 days!!! I did not expect such a large number. No wonder my body is hurting : )

Also as weird as this sounds; actually doing something you don't normally do on a daily basics works too. Like last night I went line dancing for the first time in 3 weeks instead of walking and I feel great this morning; well minus all the sleeping muscles I woke up! :) ... I don't have half the pain I normally do. I think routine changes while on the liquid diet are key; but this is just my opinion! :)

Do your shakes have sucralose (Splenda) in them? For some people it causes lots of bloating, gas and or/diarrhea. Even of you haven't reacted to it before, when all you're getting are the shakes it can start up on you.

Sent from my iPhone using VST