Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My lapband to gastric sleeve revision

I have gained and lost weight for the past 25 years. I tried it all: Diet pills, HCG, weight watchers, Nutrisystem, you name it I tried it. Last year I decided I wanted to check into the lapband after a friend had success with it. Went to a seminar in June 2012 and made my decision 2 weeks later. My insurance did not cover the surgery so I went through True Results. They had me checked for a hiatal hernia which was covered by insurance and I paid just for the lapband. I started my preop diet for 2 weeks and lost 6 lbs. I was banded with plication on August 13, 2012 weighing 199 lbs. At my 2 week preop visit I had only lost 7 lbs. I had my my first fill in October and a second fill in November before Thanksgiving. Not really any restriction from those two fills.

Around the first of January 2013 I started having really bad stomach pains. I would throw up every time I ate dense Protein. Anytime I hate the pain was horrible. I called my surgeons office and the response I got was "if it hurts that bad go to the ER." Well that really pissed me off. I finally got in to see the surgeon who checked me through fluoroscope X-ray. Everything in place. Mind you I didn't get to talk to him in an exam room. There was about 8 people on the other side of the door who heard everything we were saying. He said my body was most likely rejecting the band. He said we could remove it and do the sleeve. And it could be done in one surgery. Then he asked if I was using insurance. When I stated I was going to try since I was having complications, he then states we needed to do it in 2 surgeries. That raised a HUGE red flag with me. When I went to check out his insurance coordinator whispered to me to get a second opinion! That was really worrisome. And the fact that I had only lost a total of 22lbs bothered me greatly.

So I went to see my PCP and she recommended a surgeon who she had worked with for a long time. I called their office and explained my problem. They told me there was $900 assumption fee the surgeon charges. I was willing to pay it. At that time we did not set up any appointments. Imagine my surprise when I got a call early the next morning from their office. The surgeon wanted to see me and he was waiving the fee! I went in the following week on February 19th and was so glad I did. I absolutely loved the staff, nurses and surgeon. I had a long talk with him and explained all my problems. He was very sympathetic and made me feel at ease. After my talk with him I met with his nurse/scheduler and we scheduled my nutrition&education class, pre-op visits, surgery and post op visit.

The nutrition&education class was 5 hours long and was very informative. Never had that with my lapband surgery. We got a binder full of information and samples of Vitamins, Protein drinks. I did a one week preop diet and had my revision on March 7th. The hospital and nurses were wonderful. The rooms looked more like hotel rooms with a hospital bed. Everything went well. I was up walking the halls that evening. I had my barium swallow the next morning and had no leaks. Got down my 8 oz of Fluid and was out of the hospital by 12:15.

So here I am 12 days post op and wish I would have gotten the sleeve to begin with and asked my PCP's advice on surgeons. I have my 2 week follow up tomorrow. If anyone has any reservations about the sleeve, don't. I can't tell you how great it feels not to have stomach pains, not to throw up not to mention having a wonderful surgeon who cares about his patients. If you have reservations about your current surgeon and don't feel you are getting the care you need, seek out another one. Had I went with the first surgeon again I think I would have been very unhappy. He is in it for the money and nothing else. Something else my current surgeon said was that he doesn't do lapbands anymore unless that was all the patients insurance would pay for. And that he has seen so many removals due to complications in the past year. So if I would have saw him first I would have never had the lapband, would have had only 1 sugery and I would be at goal now. I am a self pay for the revision to sleeve and believe me it was worth every dollar.

I am so happy for you that you now have the proper tool to get you where you want to be. Who is your current surgeon? I also went thru true results for my band and am looking for a revision. I went to see my band dr as he also does the sleeve and gastric and his office told me even though I vomit daily they wouldn't submit it to my insurance since I don't "weigh enough". I weighted 200 the day of surgery got down to 158 and have now gained 30lbs back. I've been looking for another dr and even considering going to Mexico. If he is in the Houston area please let me know.

I am so happy for you that you now have the proper tool to get you where you want to be. Who is your current surgeon? I also went thru true results for my band and am looking for a revision. I went to see my band dr as he also does the sleeve and gastric and his office told me even though I vomit daily they wouldn't submit it to my insurance since I don't "weigh enough". I weighted 200 the day of surgery got down to 158 and have now gained 30lbs back. I've been looking for another dr and even considering going to Mexico. If he is in the Houston area please let me know.

Thanks! My current surgeon is actually in Bryan. Its about an hour from Houston depending on what part of town you live in. His name is Dr. John Mason. I just love him. I weighed 183 the day of my surgery. I don't think your weight matters if you are doing revision. Which doctor at True Results did you use? I can give you Dr. Mason's number if you'd like. I couldn't have asked for a better surgeon.

Thanks! My current surgeon is actually in Bryan. Its about an hour from Houston depending on what part of town you live in. His name is Dr. John Mason. I just love him. I weighed 183 the day of my surgery. I don't think your weight matters if you are doing revision. Which doctor at True Results did you use? I can give you Dr. Mason's number if you'd like. I couldn't have asked for a better surgeon.

Sorry Nanalisa I am just this. My band doctor is Dr. Hollis. I am scheduled for a revision in Mexico on May 31st but I had my band unfilled last week and I am miserable! I am having severe reflux, nausea and vomiting acid for several hours after I eat. I am thinking of calling Hollis tomorrow as I'm in pain and misery non stop.

Sorry Nanalisa I am just this. My band doctor is Dr. Hollis. I am scheduled for a revision in Mexico on May 31st but I had my band unfilled last week and I am miserable! I am having severe reflux' date=' nausea and vomiting acid for several hours after I eat. I am thinking of calling Hollis tomorrow as I'm in pain and misery non stop.[/quote']

I hate to hear of you having so many issues. I would call Dr. Hollis immediately. I love my sleeve. I ha ve had no issues and have lost a total of 36 lbs. keep me posted on your progress.

Apperantly what I am experiencing is normal when being filled to unfilled for about a week or so afterwards. Crazy that I felt better with my band filled!