Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Good, the Bad, but Mostly, the UGLY

Three things:

1. Really bad gas pains in left shoulder first week.
  2. Very foul nasty diarhea the first three weeks.
  3. Difficulty getting down all my prescription and supplement pills.< br />

None of the three lasted very long. It's all been worth every bit of it.

Oh wow, please let us know his reaction!!! :)

The Good: down 73 lbs' date=' no surgery issues, no gas pains......then I went home

The bad: infection set in, luckily my drain was still in place. Leak test and barium for MRIs awful.

The ugly: the puss coming through the drain was soooo gross.

The Happy: that is all behind me and feeling good about my weight loss.

Will not start posting pics till my son has seen me. He hasn't seen me since I started this journey. So I've lost 73 lbs since he's seen me, wonder if he'll know it's me?[/quote']

The most pain I had were those Lovinox shots in the tummy. Yeoh! Im so glad I didnt have to do them at home.

First and foremost the ugliest part by far is DAY ONE. When you wake up from surgery you can't eat or drink for 24-hours. There's nausea, pain and gas. They're also pushing morphine into you every two hours but there's still a great deal of discomfort. I stayed one additional day because I kept throwing up the Lortab. Once they switched me to Roxicet (liquid Percoset) I was in heaven. The key is to WALK, WALK, WALK.

10 days out, I have very minimal pain, I feel GREAT, nothing really disagrees with me,I have energy and I haven't had ANY nausea and I'm down 21 pounds.

Started liquid Fast: 282

Surgery Day: 265.8

Today: 261

One very WEIRD thing happened today though. This morning I thought I'd started my period. Turns out the Tomato Soup I'd eaten the night before came out during the night! Has anyone else experienced overnight diarrhea??! Or is this LILO (liquid in, liquid out)

Three things:

[*]Really bad gas pains in left shoulder first week.

[*]Very foul nasty diarhea the first three weeks.

[*]Difficulty getting down all my prescription and supplement pills.

None of the three lasted very long. It's all been worth every bit of it.

I agree with you on all the things you mentioned. I experienced the same symptoms.

Thank you all for sharing your input....like the original poster, I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks.

Yikes! I am getting ready to have surgery. Pretty scary stuff. But good to know.

I to wanted to know this, l'été face it...its not to bad when u know it can happen b4 it do. O was Lucky no nauesa, vomiting or hipups. Burps yes, farting yes, walking yes indeed, shots in stomach, was in my thighs too, burn like heck and such à pretty site after watching the bruises go though the différent shades of the rainbow. The strange was the removal of the drain, inside feeling as if à fart in reverse...today slime grude in throat in morning that just hangs there à while, and b/m issues, but im cool 8 days postop...

I only had 3 bad/ugly things, the drain being removed. I made the mistake of watching, and holy crap that thing is really in there, it made a weird noise when she pulled it out and the room started spinning. It didn't hurt, but I think the combo of being light headed from pain meds, and then watching made me a bit woozy. And 2, I was bruised, really really bad on my entire stomach for like 4 weeks. I had the heparin shots in my stomach for 3 days in the hospital. And it took forever for my skin to get back to normal. And 3. the leak test stuff tasted like dish soap, and was about the same consistency. I would have preferred barium I think.

Post op when you wake up you will feel sooooo nauseated and not feel like anything. Then when they take you off the morphine you start to feel better but realize you are constipated from the morphine for about a week.

Then you have to get through the liquid and purred phases before anything that remotely looks like food can hit your mouth.

And then when your on solids you get the joy of experimenting with real foods again. But beware!! Anything high in fat or sugar will result in a dump. And believe me that's not something you'd want to experience more than once.

But aside from getting through all of that...I'm only dealing with morning diarrhea and severe cramps every morning.

I had my surgery on a Tuesday afternoon and was throwing up any time I got out of bed until Wednesday night. They gave me reglan, phenegren, zofran, repeat and could not get it under control. Finally they got me a stronger drug that I think started with a p and ended with a zole and it worked. I've not thrown up since and have had only minor nauseau here and there that zofran has fixed.

Also, when I was discharged they made me drink liquid potassium. It was by far the foulest thing I have ever put in my mouth. It must be what Satan's urine tastes like.

@Texas....lmao....Devils urine..

I really like this thread. I have not yet undergone the sleeve surgery. A really good friend of mine has though. She said that for the Constipation she drinks some warm tea or just warm Water in general. She also said that the Gas strips are a good thing to have on hand.

The good two months out: is having lost 44 pounds.

The bad: was not being able to tolerate any Protein drinks for the first month.

The ugly: Esophagus Spasms! Up until a week or so ago my esophagus would not let most things go down because is forgot what to do. At first food and liquids would get stuck and and my esophagus would start to spasm, which is incredibly painful. Some food would manage to go down, the rest came back up. Eventually my esophagus remembered how to push food down again, but it was so swollen by this point that food and liquids got stuck in my chest. Last week the swelling finally went down and now I'm testing my new stomach for the first time. It's rather upset with me at the moment. LOL

The Constipation is the worst and having to eat even though you are really not hungry! I literally had to go by the clock to eat. It was a huge change for me:)

I posted this somewhere else, but it's worth repeating ifyou haven't seen/tried it and need it:

8 ounces warm almost hot Water

juice of 1 lemon

honey to taste (1 tsp or so)

Drink FIRST thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Will help with the constipation, gently, naturally and comfortably. Someone on here tried it and has had terrific results. I swear by it.