Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My uncle was sleeved about 18months ago and he lost 90lbs in the first 8 months. Then he maintained for a while, and in the last 6 months he's gained about 15 back. I just read a thread where someone that's 2-3 years out can still only eat 1 cup of food. I've seen my uncle eat an entire hero (bread and all), a couple of rolls of sushi, entire bagel with full fat cream cheese, and soda. I'm sure there's more I'm just not remembering. I thought that the stomach couldn't really be stretched. Would he have to make a conscious effort to push past the point of full? I don't want to be rude and ask him.

I'm just worried because now, pre op, I'm constantly hungry. I just worry that once I heal, maybe a year or two out, that the hunger will come back.

If I just follow the post op diet will my new stomach stay small? My biggest fear is going through all of this and the surgery not "work".

Thanks for reading my ramble..

Wow. That is crazy. That is pretty unusual!

I know! He told me two weeks out he was eating normal food

i agree.... how in the heck after 2 weeks could he eat normal food....

TD41

I definitely can eat a lot more than I could in the first 6 months. I can eat a 6inch sub from subway with the top half of the bread removed for example, or 3/4 a small cheeseburger, minus the top bun for another example. Men will always eat a bit more than the ladies- their sleeves probably start off bigger, cause they are usually taller thus a "longer" sleeve. I think my restriction is the same as it was a year out. (I am 19 months out) Even if you do have less restriction than the first year its still possible to maintain your weight and make good choices. Soooo much easier now than pre-sleeve in fact!

Wow - that's absolutely scary. I am so afraid of stretching! I really make a conscious effort to stop as soon as I feel the little twinge that says I just ate the last bite that will fit. So far so good.

I dont know your relationship with your uncle but I dont think it would be rude to talk to him about it, voice your concern for your health and how you dont want to put your body though this and in a couple years be back to your starting weight...he may be dealing with other issues which got him big in the first place or has gotten use to being smaller has slacked up whatever his reason maybe by you talking to him may help get him back on track and be a support for you..good luck

Yeah, he's one of the people who will gain it all back. Sounds like he wasn't ready for the surgery, anyway.

-Kendra

Yeah, he's one of the people who will gain it all back. Sounds like he wasn't ready for the surgery, anyway.

-Kendra

that's a very harsh assessment. I don't think it's fair to judge. I can eat a bagel with cream cheese too. I have been at goal maintaining for a year.

that's a very harsh assessment. I don't think it's fair to judge. I can eat a bagel with cream cheese too. I have been at goal maintaining for a year.

Hello! I wasn't basing it on a single bagel with cream cheese, now was I? Do you also eat an entire large sandwich, sushi, and soda? You would not be maintaining if you did. Please read before commenting, thanks.

Hello! I wasn't basing it on a single bagel with cream cheese, now was I? Do you also eat an entire large sandwich, sushi, and soda? You would not be maintaining if you did. Please read before commenting, thanks.

I read it all. I just want to stick up for the guy. You don't know what it's like to be more than a year out. It was harsh and rude. That could be anyone here including you in a few years. Please don't get angry just think before you say something so hurtful.

Ur uncle only gained back 15lbs with all that he's eating that's pretty good. He must be eating small portions. I'm sure he would Beiter than happy to answer ur questions. U just have to ask him though. Just talk to him in private so that he can be honest with his replies. Perhaps he can get refocused too. He could also benefit from reading posts on VST too.

Ur uncle only gained back 15lbs with all that he's eating that's pretty good. He must be eating small portions. I'm sure he would Beiter than happy to answer ur questions. U just have to ask him though. Just talk to him in private so that he can be honest with his replies. Perhaps he can get refocused too. He could also benefit from reading posts on VST too.

I did refer him to this app. I told him there are tons of "vets" here. He's very much an emotional eater and my grandma (his mom) was very sick the past few months and passed away last week.

He's always had poor habits, but I know stress makes it worse for him. I guess it's just a good example that this surgery truly is just a tool, and by no means a quick fix

-Kendra

:rolleyes:

People say its impossible to stretch a sleeve but if I learned anything in nursing school it's that there are almost NEVER absolutes, and especially with bariatric patients - where there is a will, there is a way.

I absolutely believe that if you eat to your absolute max capacity all the time, and push it a little from time to time, this WILL result in dilation. Can I prove that? Nope, but you hear these types of things all the time of people eating amounts of food that should be 'impossible'

You can gain weight with a sleeve, and I would bet money if you try hard enough you can dilate the sleeve. Thats a big reason I discourage soda for sleeve patients, even though some people claim their doctor says its fine and all that.