Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know they say the high Protein will help you loose weight but can't stand it. Is there anyone who is losing weight without all the protein????

You need the Protein to heal.

Drink it as tho it were medicine and you need it

In the meantime try and find a Protein Drink that you like.

The Protein is to help you maintain general health and muscle mass. Because of the restriction on caloric intake, protein need to be supplimented early on in the process so that you are taking in the proper number of nutrients. Bottom line is that it isn't so much about losing weight it is more about keeping you healthy.

im having trouble getting my Protein in too

I know they say the high Protein will help you loose weight but can't stand it. Is there anyone who is losing weight without all the Protein? ???

You'll absolutely still lose weight w/o protein. Think of all that useless muscle you can get rid of, and who needs hair?

I'll testify....

I'm 5 months out. Protein is not my favorite. I do try to do Protein first, but that doesn't always happen.

The impact?

random bruising

accelerated hair loss by the fistfulls instead of strands

hunger

slow down of weight loss

Sounds good? Keep doing what you are doing and don't make protein a priority.

I am a vegetarian and was probably eating about half as much Protein pre-op as I am now. I have a few bits of advice that helped me get down my Protein during the first week or two (it gets easier):

1) Find a premade Protein shake that you really like. A lot of people recommend Premiere (available at costco and elsewhere) or Muscle Milk Light. Look for one that has around 150-180 calories with 20 g of protein or so and not super-high in carbs (maybe 10 g or fewer). If it seems too thick for you, put it in a shaker and add a little almond milk or skim milk--maybe just an ounce or two. shake it gently (since you don't want a ton of extra air right now)--and put it in a pretty glass. Now is the time to break out those wine glasses you never use. :-) I have never thought of myself as a chocolate lover, but I seem to like the chocolate shakes the best bc they seem to hide the protein flavor the most. You can also go to GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and try individual ready-made shakes (or the dry shake packets that you add liquid to and blenderize--I use a Vitamix but there's also the Magic Bullet and an imitation Magic Bullet at Walmart that a lot of people like).

2) Get a good unflavored protein like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, which you can order online. Use about a scoop in a Soup. I found some Soups I really like called Imagine. They are organic and the carbs are decent (60 calories and 10 carbs in cream of brocc--and it's REAL food--not like the Campbell's stuff). Make a little slurry with some almond or skim milk with the unflavored protein and add to hot Soup. It will cool it off a little but this way the Protein powder won't clump like it would if you put it in before heating. You can barely taste the Protein Powder.< /p>

3) Make a little slurry of almond or skim milk with the flavored protein powder of your choice. Add to Fage greek yogurt (thinned out if you are still on purees). My favorite combo is chocolate with some PB2 and one splenda (PB2 is a powdered Peanut Butter with the fat removed).

4) Make hot chocolate! This got me thru my first week. We bought diet Swiss Miss hot cocoa. I would make the hot cocoa with almond or soy milk (you can use skim if aren't lactose intolerant) and then make a slurry of chocolate, unflavored or vanilla protein powder--just 1/8 or 1/4 cup of additional milk for the slurry--and then add to the warm hot cocoa. My husband would make it for me by mixing everything at once and heating for 1 min 40 sec in our microwave (all vary in power--ours is pretty strong). Just be careful using that method b/c if you heat most protein powder too long it will be come a solidified spongy mess. But he figured out a good amount and it would be just warm enough. The warm drink was easier for me to get down than cold ones at first--opens up your esophagus from what I've heard.

5) For clear Protein drinks, I would try drinking them when they are more room temp and less ice cold. These aren't my thing but I was on full liquids right away. If I were on clear, I would try them. I have some in my fridge that I really need to drink...the other things are just so tasty, though.

Good luck!!!!!!

Thank you Tes! I am not a vegetarian--but your "substitute" recipes sound gooood. Not sleeved yet- but starting a week of pre-op dieting tomorrow.

You have to be careful "heating" the Protein powder it renders them useless.. Even the ones that are meant to be "hot" can only be made so hot before they are useless :(

LOL Tess I'm batting a thousand with you today!

EDIT

I don't know...I just did some reading on heating whey Protein and well everything I heard Is not necessarily true (go figure).

Heating it changes it some but does not make it useless so heat on Tess !!

I totally understand your Protein concerns but you need it to get through your day. I am 4 months out and down 85 pounds but the majority of my weight comes off when I hit my goals of 120 grams a day. The past month has been a struggle for me to get my goals in and I can feel it. I'm weaker and don't have the energy that I use to. I am lucky to get half of my protein goal in with normal food so that means I need shakes to fill in the rest. The problem I have is that I get board with my shakes which makes me not want to drink them. I have tried several different types and I haven't found any that I can fall in love with. I haven't ran into any stalls but I feel that I have been losing muscle in stead of fat which is not good. I hope this helps.

You have to be careful "heating" the Protein powder it renders them useless.. Even the ones that are meant to be "hot" can only be made so hot before they are useless :(

LOL Tess I'm batting a thousand with you today!

EDIT

I don't know...I just did some reading on heating whey Protein and well everything I heard Is not necessarily true (go figure).

Heating it changes it some but does not make it useless so heat on Tess !!

LOL, no, that's good info! It is true, I believe it has something to do with "denatured protein," whatever that is. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and I would imagine some of the other brands can be heated up to 140 degrees without losing effectiveness or clumping (I use a candy thermometer to check and then keep using the same "recipe" if it's okay--since I'm sure I won't be needing my candy thermometer for much else in the future). Once it starts clumping, I think that's a pretty sure sign that you might as well pitch it and start over. Goodness knows, you don't want to have to drink protein that's not giving you any protein! :)

Thank you Tes! I am not a vegetarian--but your "substitute" recipes sound gooood. Not sleeved yet- but starting a week of pre-op dieting tomorrow.

Good luck with the pre-op diet! I'm sure that you will do great, Wrinkle!

I have trouble with shakes and drinks, so I work on milk, cheese, tuna, etc... To get my Protein in. Just had to find another way, milk counts as a liquid so I enjoy a cup of milk. It all adds up and I was having trouble getting enough calories and this helped.