Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Baby Boomers out there?

Sign in to follow this  

Hello,

Just wondering if any Baby Boomers are having their surgery this month. I am having mine March 11th.

Welcome to our new group. So far, I think I am the only one who is pre-op. Most of our members joined after I invited them. I wanted a less public, semi-private group so I've been surfing this site to find Baby Boomers with a great attitude.

For that reasons, we only have a few people right now. I'm glad you posted and I'm happy for you that your surgery is upcoming soon. Sorry, you couldn't connect here with another newbie. I cannot even imagine how you must feel about your big day in just a week or so. I know I'd be both excited and scared at the same time.

We'd all love to hear your journey, so please keep us updated. Good luck! I'm sure you're gonna love the new you. Oh, btw, people with low bmi's don't have to do the liquid pre-op diet.

I am so glad to find this site. I have so many questions about how the surgery and post-op goes for people who are over 60. Is the recovery the same? What are the issues when you are older?

I have been pursuing this option for about a month and have finished all my qualifying tests. Apparently my insurance does not require you to wait so I am hopeful. I also work fulltime at a pretty demanding job and am worried about that.

I am afraid of regretting this step, and in the same breath I realize that nothing is going to change unless I do this. Any advice or guidance is appreciated!

Shaybear,

I'm glad you found this site as well ... and our group in particular. Our group is still very new, but we do have several members who have gone through the journey at an older age.

I hope that the post-ops here will step up and respond to some of your concerns.

As for me, I'm 66 ... about to rack up another year ... This is an extreme solution, but it is the only one for me. I'm in constant pain, housebound, in a wheelchair, with huge limitations on my lifestyle. Only I can change this, and I must.

Of all the procedures, the Sleeve is the safest, with the lowest rate of complications, the safest surgery and a successful way to drop a lot of weight. I don't know how many more years I have, but I'm sure not going to waste them living like a wounded bird.

I had an incredible life, traveling all over the world, having a ton of fun. I want my life back. This sleeve surgery offers that to me.

03/09/2013

HELLO SASSYCAT,

Did I understand you to say you are pre-op?

It just made me curious how long this site has been up.

What is keeping you from having your WLS?

I am 62 years with a few health problems myself.

But Somedays I want the surgery somedays I don't.

So as you see I'am still kind of scared of it.

I will have to self pay and that presently holds me back.

I just want to really be sure and completely ready when the green light starts glowing.

I would also like to hear from any of you that are older

and have gone to Mexico.

Thank you.

Sincerily,

Searching

Hi "Searching"

Welcome to our group. I'm happy you found us. This is a very new group. I started it a little over a week ago, specifically so I could communicate with other Boomers. The way we view the world, our concerns and interests, and our lives are soooo different than the young'ens. That's why I started it. There seems to be a lot of people here on this site under 40. That's not me.

Speaking of being a Baby Boomer, I've just spent the last couple of hours listening to music on my PBS TV station. They're having a fund drive. First, they had on Blues artist Joe Bonamassa, a triply talented singer, songwriter and guitarist. Next The Who in a '75 concert, now Stevie Ray Vaughn. I love music, but with my mobility limitations it just seems so much trouble to use a stereo system.

Now to your questions. Read my story and see if that doesn't answer most/all of your questions. I understand feeling unsure. Boy if there were another way to get rid of this weight, I'd do it. I'm in pain all the time, and I don't have the furniture I need to be comfortable in the living room, so I spend most of my time in bed, falling asleep due to the pain meds I take.

Keep asking your question of others because just about everybody here had a lot of doubt about getting the surgery. Best way is to put your question in a headline. That way you'll get more answers.

Are you still working? It's really hard w/o insurance and no Medicare. I have Medicare because I retired 3 years ago.

Keep in touch with us, and we'll do the same. I'm gonna be busy the next couple of weeks, so I don't know if I'll have a lot of time to rev up this group.

Thanks for telling your story. I think you and I and one other lady, Chris has told our stories. I hope the other members will share theirs.

Good luck!

03/17/2013

Hello Sassy Senior,

Thank you for your post.

Yes, I will read your your story I'am going to do that now after I respond to you.

You said, " To post in a headline"? Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. Yes, now I have identified myself as a Baby Boomer :) !

I haven't retired yet. We have a small construction company. Although, it is very slow at present due to our poor economy.

We have been trying to take advantage of our down time and get some much needed painting and some small remodling projects finished.

But like you it is slow going due to the pain.

We have Regence Insurance but they won't pay for WLS. I have tried to find an insurance that we could purchase that would cover WLS but no luck yet.

I have my eyes and ears out looking for an affordable insurance for our company that would cover WLS.

Sincerily,

Searching

Hello to all, This baby boomer had her surgery on Monday March 11th, I am now one week post op. This first week was hard I have been thru so much this past week, the pain, not getting enough Water and Protein in and that is because I did not feel like eating or drinking. I had to keep telling myself sip, sip, sip and sip again. The 1st few days after surgery are the worst but not any worse than having a baby. This first week I just keep making sure that each day I would do better than I did the day before. Here it is 7 days later and I am happy to say that as of yesterday I was able to get 60 grams of protein in and 60 oz of water so it does get better. I am now walking better and I do not feel like I am in a fog any longer. I have to say that there were a few days that I experienced chills and could not keep warm but that could have been from the surgery and blood thinners I was on. I really need to start getting out and walking soon I will see my surgeon for a 1 week post op visit tomorrow and I will let you know what he says. I have not been on the scale at all, I just want to do what I am suppose to do and hopefully the numbers will follow in do time. I sure hope all of you who are having up coming surgeries just keep a positive mindset and I am doing and keep the neighsayers away from your front door. Just follow you surgeons guidlines to the letter and support is very important. Have a great day folks. Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Congratulations, Cheryl! You're on the winning, losing side! I've been thinking about you and wondering how it went. I'm glad you let us know.

I have a post on this site about Water because I wondered why it's so important to drink after the surgery. I haven't had any replies yet, so I still don't know. But I'm working on it now and carrying a water bottle around with me.

What are you doing re: the Water? And how are you getting in 60oz? Everyone seems to struggle so much with that, especially in the early stages. Are you on liquids? What's your post-op diet?

We're still a small group, but we're growing slowly. I hope others will be like you and get involved. I'd love for us to have a supportive group of Boomers.

While you want to hear from others who've been down the path, I feel like it's a special privilege for me to follow in your footsteps. I will be sleeved soon. I don't know the exact date but think it will be in April. For the past 2 years, I've been jumping through hoops to meet all the Medicare requirements. My last hurdle is cardiac clearance, and my appt. with a Dr. is April 3 ... just around the corner. So I hope you don't mind if I follow your healing train.

Did the doctor give you pain meds? If so, what kind? I had major surgery several years ago, and I was on a heavy dose of Vicodin. I remember it wore off every 3 hours, and I'd wake up and take some more. What is/was causing your pain? Gosh, the fact you compare it to childbirth is scary. I've never been there but hear how painful it is.

Welcome back to the group. As you can see in the "News" posted here, I'm going to be offline for a week or so. I have to send my PC to the hospital because it has a bad case of PC Flu!

I'll be online today, and then off tomorrow. Take care and know each day will get better!

Healing Wishes,

Kate

Hi Kate,

Thank you for your good thoughts, We are all on the mending side of WLS and we will encounter many struggles along the way. Like you, Water has been such a struggle for me. I am told by my nutrionist that this is normal and because our stomach is now smaller you just do not feel there is a need for Water. I was told it might take me up to a week to start getting all of my water in and sure enough it has. The most important thing is to NOT get de-hydrated. There have been some folks I have found on a forum who were sent to the emergency room and stayed overnight because of dehyradtion. So I keep track of my water intake, I have a journal that I keep and every 3 hours I will write down how much water I drank in the morning, then I do it again at 4pm and make a last entry at 10pm.

I did get pain meds after surgery while I was still in recovery and it really did help big time. All you want to do the first 2 days after surgery is sleep and get pain meds. The day after surgery sometime in the afternoon I was given my usual pain meds but at that time the meds were starting to make me nausiated and I thought I was going to throw-up which is the LAST thing you want to do so the nurse gave me medication to get rid of it. I was surprised how fast it worked and I felt great in just 1 or 2 minutes. Be aware that you will walk ASAP. You will walk at least 4 hours after you wake up even if it is a short walk. this will help you get rid of the pressure of gas and help with circulation. I was on vicodin and it really took care of the pain.

The reason why I compared it child birth because the pain reminder me of the 1st stage of labor ( I promise you it is not that bad). And, like having a baby when you first get out of bed there is a heaviness in you stomach so just have a small pillow with you hold it into you stomach for support,( I really helps a lot) I had my surgery last Monday March 11th and today Monday March 18, just one week and the feeling is all gone( it is nothing to fear) you will do just fine, stay positive and ask many questions if you are unsure.

I am here for you and it is my previlege to be one of your mentors. I am here for you Kate.

God Bless,

Cheryl

I couldn't send my pc away without responding to your last post. You sound very caring and supportive ... just what we like to have in this group.

God knows, I'm gonna need a lot of support when I finally get sleeved. After reading your post, I became more conscious of my Water intake, which right now is bad. I've had maybe 10 oz. today. I started carrying around a Water bottle, but didn't remember to take a sip. Hopefully, by surgery, I'll be doing better.

I'm glad you joined our group. So far, there's just a couple of people who've posted. Maybe you and Chris can start chatting. She just got married last week and she was sleeved in Febuary. I think I'll start a new "chat" post where we can chat back and forth. Till later ... Kate