Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision surgery time/weight loss goals

Reply to questions regarding my revision surgery it was on Feb 11th so I'm just 3 weeks out. I'm on the soft food diet for next 2 wks then start of regular foods on the 18th. I ate 8 oz of Beans today and probably could have eaten another 8 oz without any problems. Don't know what the dr will say about having a correction done however don't think the ins company will pay for another procedure..

I had my revision January 25,2013 and I think my husband said i was in surgery about 3 hours (that may include recovery). I had to stay 4 nights/5 days but I had a lot going on. It was not a scheduled surgery but I began having pain that wouldn't go away and you could feel a not in my sternum. The surgeon told me to go to hospital and he would have orders waiting. End result my stomach was completely prolapsed through my band but my band had not slipped. He admitted me and took me in for surgery 6 hours later. I was actually glad I stayed that long because I got enough pain medicine to stay comfortable and I had a lot of nausea so the IV meds were wonderful. I was very sick so this isn't the case for most. The band had been prolapsed for a long time and I was severely dehydrated and vomiting blood so getting medication and rest was exactly what I needed.

Hi all, Im scheduled for revision on 3/13/13. Met with surgeon to sign consents last week. I currently weigh 256 and although I don't know what to set as an exact goal weight, I am thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 140-150. The Dr gave me this sheet of paper with my starting weight and a weight of 183.5 as a weight that I will "probably" end up at. I would think that he would expect me to lose more than that. I sure do. Not so sure I want to go through all of this and only lose that much. I know that the ultimate amount that I lose will be up to me.. guess I just needed to vent a bit..lol

In the other part of my question is for those of you who have had lapband removal and VSG (in one procedure). How long were you in surgery? My doc was telling me between 4-5 hours. How many days did you spend in the hospital?

Oh and on your second question. I set several small goals after my first WLS because I knew that I would give up before hitting a big goal. I would hit my goal and set a new one. Don't worry about what the doctor says because ultimately it will be up to you and your body. Good luck with your journey

I agree that small goals is the way to go!! Sorry to hear that you had such a problem with the band. I am thankful that I haven't had any problems with mine. Now, if I can survive this liquid diet I just started today..lol.I have done the Protein Shakes and can be full with them, it's more of head thing. I just "think" I need solid food. Any of you have any good tips on how you got through this pre-op time or didn't you have to do it? I see there are so many variations of pre- op diets and what length and what they include.

Reply to questions regarding my revision surgery it was on Feb 11th so I'm just 3 weeks out. I'm on the soft food diet for next 2 wks then start of regular foods on the 18th. I ate 8 oz of Beans today and probably could have eaten another 8 oz without any problems. Don't know what the dr will say about having a correction done however don't think the ins company will pay for another procedure..

I would agree that you probably won't be able to get Insurance to cover and kind of repair/change. Hmm... maybe you will give the Doc a hard time and he will do something for you at no cost... :)

Hi, I have the band and I expect to be sleeved after I come back from vacation in June. I am getting the band out because my surgeon says it is not working for me and that I need to try the sleeve instead for a significant weight loss. With all my research on this topic I am not sure why your doc said you would only loose that much when you "should" loose up to half your body weight. At least that is what I am expecting to do at least !! You might want to question him/her as to why so little weight loss for your goal. If you don't ask then you will never know and that is more stress on you that you don't need prior to surgery....

Hi, I have the band and I expect to be sleeved after I come back from vacation in June. I am getting the band out because my surgeon says it is not working for me and that I need to try the sleeve instead for a significant weight loss. With all my research on this topic I am not sure why your doc said you would only loose that much when you "should" loose up to half your body weight. At least that is what I am expecting to do at least !! You might want to question him/her as to why so little weight loss for your goal. If you don't ask then you will never know and that is more stress on you that you don't need prior to surgery....

You make a great point. I am hopeful that I can work my butt off to do way better than he is predicting!!