Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight gain in 1st week

Can anyone explain how on day 4 I gained 4lbs? I am getting all my liquids in and only drinking sugar free drinks. I will say I started my period on day 2 and just yesterday got the OK to take all my meds, one of which is hydyoclorosine (sp?). I have done everything by the book so to gain weight about makes me want to cry. I originally told myself I wouldn't check my weight till my one week check up......wish I listened to myself

It's totally normal. It's hard to say the exact reason because normally these things have multiple causes so it could be any one of the following:

• women commonly gain during menstruation no matter what
  • fluid retention
  • decreased urination from the drugs you received in the hospital
  • You probably have not had a bowel movement at this point, and if you did it was probably not substantial
  • surgery is trauma and trauma = swelling and any time there is inflamation there is extra Fluid in the tissues
  • you could be predisposed to retaining fluid at certain times of the month regardless of menstruation - I am like that too
  • sodium? Have you been drinking broth? That will do it. It's not a big deal but it might reflect on the scale.< br />

Basically, don't worry. We all see wild shifts on the scale the first few weeks, and its not always in the direction we were hoping for. It will come off over the next few days. There is no need to dramatically change anything you are doing just trust the process and keep up the good work. You are right about weighing weekly though. It's really in your best interest to pick a day to weigh in (for me its Tuesdays because my surgery was on a Tuesday but it doesnt really matter and weigh in that day and maybe the rest of the week just put the scale somewhere that it wont tempt you. For me, I slide it under a shelf in my bathroom but sometimes when I am rearranging I just pick it up and take it into my bedroom closet that way when I am in the bathroom the silly thing isn't staring me down daring me to hop on just to take a peek.