Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kind of envying some people who don't have to do a liquid pre-op

I'm not even going to sugar coat, I'm kind of envious of some of these pre op diets I've been reading on the forum. Some people say they only have to do a liquid 24 hrs before surgery, some are not required to do liquid at all before surgery. Some people only have to do it 2 - 3 days before surgery. :mellow:

But I am following my dr's instructions and actually doing pretty good with mine. I started on Feb. 18, surgery date March 4th. But I sure wish I could eat some food I really miss it and at times I'm really craving it. Now I did cheat twice last week with saltine crackers & tortilla chips. I ate a total of 9 crackers on tuesday of last week and about 20 tortilla chips this past saturday. Other than that I haven't had any other morsel of solid food during the week I've been on this liquid diet. I do like my Protein drinks though and I have several flavors so the variety has been great. The last time i weighed myself was on friday 2/22 and I lost 11lbs. I'm like 11lbs in 5 days, quite surprising.

But anyway I just wanted to get that out. Wish I could eat this turkey salad my husband made earlier. I would love it on some toast. Yummm....oh well :unsure:

Oh yeah I did feel guilty after eating those saltine crackers. But not when i ate the tortilla chips, I sure savored every chip I ate! :P But not gonna do it again.

You are so cute!! That's all :)

Oh and your doing good! I don't understand why some get to eat up until the last minute either .

But it will be easier after the surgery for you because your kicking some of that physiological need for food now (head hunger).

Like I said... your cute!

Nope...i sure didn't. I was at my heaviest the day of surgery. My restriction occurred for only 24 hrs prior to surgery. Surgeons all have different reasons and rationales....but they're the ones doing the job, so best to follow whatever route they have planned for you.

Just take this time as having to lose less weight after you have the surgery. I think alot of people cheat a little bit on their pre op diet. Dont do it to much, you do need your liver to shrink so the dr can work easier during your surgery. When I first started reading on this forum, I read about a woman who cheated on her pre op and that her liver had broke into. So please keep that in mind and stay as close as you can to your dr instructions. Good luck and keep us informed of how your surgery goes.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I really am trying to keep my eye on prize and follow my surgeons instructions.

I only had a week restriction before surgery but my BMI was 37 so that may be the difference. The Protein Shakes kept me full but it was the head hunger or cravings the did me in. I think we all cheated a little bit. Mine was a bite of chili dog the first night and a small handful of fritos the second. I was so down on myself for my lack of will power and scared my surgery would be cancelled I did not cheat again after that. Good luck.

I think I'm missing something

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I really am trying to keep my eye on prize and follow my surgeons instructions.

You might want to change your settings/font color, your responses are not being displayed.

My doctor said the reason for the liquid diet is to shrink down your liver which lays on top of your stomach a little. He explained that if he has to lift it, something can happen. He said that if he were to look at my liver right now, it most likely has fatty tissue around it. The liquid diet makes the surgery easier and less complications can happen. I plan on incorporating fat free pudding, Jello, string cheese just if I feel a little woozy. But then 4 days before, strictly Protein Drinks. I just can't do shakes all day so IF I need a little something, that's what I may fall back on to help. I have 2 friends who have been very successful with their sleeves and this is how they handled the 2 week liquid diet thing

I feel your pain. Day 2 of 21 days of liquid diet. I sure hope it gets easier.

You might want to change your settings/font color, your responses are not being displayed.

Thank you for quoting.. I can't see anything that she posts

thank you i just changed the font color code to black

Day 3 of Optifast.....getting easier.........3 days (almost) down and only 18 to go for me. Im sure it will get harder again, but I sat though a grueling lunch today. At work, we all take our co-workers out for their birthdays. I had a shake before I went in, and sat down with the rest of the crew, sipping Water and watching a co-worker across from me eat a 10" chicken fajita (blackened chicken, peppers, onions, mushrooms, and melted American cheese gushing out with every bite) lol.

Stay strong! I ALMOST cheated, but I knew it would be harder in the end if I cheated and tried to get back right again, considering it's been 10x easier today than it was on day 1.

OMG Mine was hell! Chardonnay for Breakfast, Pinot Gris for a snack, Cabernet for dinner...it went on and on and after the first several meals the days seemed to run together in a bit of a fog...

Oh wait, I was just told to stay under 40 carbs a day...I "chose" to make those wine based :P

Really....hugs! I was one of the lucky ones, with an easy preop, but my post opp was hell. Maybe a stricter preop program and a great surgeon along with that would have been a better option!!!

And by the way, you can have 8 glasses of wine and stay under 40 carbs :P Not that I know stuff like that...but umm just saying....