Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what do we have to do to get food commercials Banned?

You're telling me you had no idea the things you were eating weren't healthy? A picture doesn't make you fat. A description does not make you fat. All the commercials in the world will not make me go somewhere I don't want to go and eat something I don't want to eat. I take responsibility for the fact that I ate and ate and ate until I was nearly 400 pounds. Comparing cigarettes' date=' which aren't needed in any way (though there are days I miss them!) and contain upwards of 4,000 chemicals each, to food, which is required if you'd like to continue living, is a false analogy.

And yes, if I saw them put the whole stick of butter in it, I would eat it. I have eaten it. Hell, I've cooked things that I put a whole stick of butter (and more) in. I make some amazing fudge and it took more than a stick of butter per batch. At the time I found it to be absolutely delicious. Now that I've not had much sugar in a long time, it'd probably set my teeth on edge.[/quote']

Maybe you are the only one in America who doesnt see or hear these commercials, but I bet you 99.99% of Americans have. These commercials pull you in when you are your hungriest and weakest! They prey on you to get your money! The food industry dont care if you become obeist from their food, hell most of their workers are obeist from eating their food. The point I was making is that resturants are one of the causes for America being so over weight because of their comercials. The reason being is because we are human and see the easiest way there is to feed ourselves.

Laura-ven, I was just reading that same article! The meeting between all the companies that it described reminds me of the tobacco memos.

Personally, I don't think we need to ban commercials. We need to change our buying habits, and it will make changes happen.

Maybe you are the only one in America who doesnt see or hear these commercials, but I bet you 99.99% of Americans have. These commercials pull you in when you are your hungriest and weakest! They prey on you to get your money! The food industry dont care if you become obeist from their food, hell most of their workers are obeist from eating their food. The point I was making is that resturants are one of the causes for America being so over weight because of their comercials. The reason being is because we are human and see the easiest way there is to feed ourselves.

I've seen them, to be sure. I've seen advertisements for a lot of things, some of which aren't referable in polite company. Putting the blame only on restaurants or only on commercials negates the fact that ultimately, they aren't tying you to a chair and forcing you to order and eat. I'm not saying that it's not difficult to live surrounded by the very things we're addicted to, but that goes for any addiction. Being surrounded by smokers when I was quitting made me a generally unpleasant person when I couldn't get away from the habit I was trying to kick. The reason I'm standing so firmly on this is because I've not noticed a single thing regarding personal responsibility for the choices made when it comes to our health. These things exist, yes, but it isn't McDonald's fault I'm fat. It's the fact that I liked to eat a 20 piece McNugget Breakfast.

They have a 20 piece mcnugget Breakfast???

:P

When your work shift starts at 11:30 am and you don't wake up until 10:30, yes, yes they do!

Would it be terribly weird of me to say that you ALL have good points....

I mean, its all of the above!

It's the companies marketing CHEAP food that are ADDICTING and tempting us with memories when we watch COMMERCIALS and our weakness as an addicted FAT PERSON to consume massive quantities .

I do take 150% responsablity for my weight and my families weight and health. My family except for me always ate their meals at home because I have always cooked. As for me, it was fast food. I would see a double cheeseburger and go uummm, that what I would eat for lunch half of the time. The real reason why I started this thread was to bring attention to the fact, that fastfood has a hold on us Americans. Someone needs to find away to stop the obeisity rising here in this country. I dont know if banning comercials would help, but its a start.

I truly believe all the tv commercials and radio commercials is what has America obeist. It's also one of the reasons we fail on our diets. Wish there was a way to stop them just like they did tobacco comercials!

I think commercials are designed to have an effect, thats the entire point of marketing but I would never go so far as to say they should be banned. I have read the article thats being passed around about foods designed to be addictive, but even more tha designer junk food, the human brain itself is designed to prefer sugar, salt, and fat as a survival strategy to ward off starvation. Junk food makers produce that because they are universally appealing. I tend to think its less... sinister than people make it out to be.

In the end I think it's up to us to control what goes in and I'm not just talking about food, we have to control what goes into our minds too. Food advertising really gets to me - you know what I did? I got rid of the TV. That's right guys, I do not own a TV. I do notice that my skinny friends are oblivious to food advertising. It doesn't really bother them one way or another, so that is also interesting.

Even on the cartoon I'm watching with my son, they are eating pizza!! Haha. I would never go as far to get rid of the TV though. Every day life is full of temptation, we just have to learn to deal with them.

You know what sucks more than seeing it on TV? Smelling delicious food! I work across the street from a Shipley's donuts. It smells incredible!

That sucks living close to resturants being able to smell what they are cooking. Lol. I live very close to a few of them to, so I know what you mean.

Companies advertise to sell food period. It is their right. Frankly, cigarettes are legal and there is no good Constitutional reason why they cannot advertise. If a picture forces you to eat to obesity, I suggest that you work on your impulses.

Ban this, ban that, censor this, censor that, save THE CHILDREN!!!!!

Imagine! - the government telling people what they can or cannot say -- what they can and cannot eat.

Turn off the TV.

P.S. Ban smells.

Companies advertise to sell food period. It is their right. Frankly, cigarettes are legal and there is no good Constitutional reason why they cannot advertise. If a picture forces you to eat to obesity, I suggest that you work on your impulses.

Imagine! - the government telling people what they can or cannot say -- what they can and cannot eat.

Turn off the TV.

P.S. Ban smells.

Yep, I agree. We all have to take responsibility for ourselves at some point.

The only way in which I differ is that I think advertising to children is unethical, and in many countries targeting children with advertisement is not legal for that reason. Children have no ability to discern when they are being advertised too, and I believe it was stated that children under the age of 6 or 7 cannot always discern between commercial advertisements and regular children's programming. So thats my only exception, as for adults.... we are going to have to learn to suck it up. It bothers me too, so I do other things with my time besides watch TV.

Companies advertise to sell food period. It is their right. Frankly' date=' cigarettes are legal and there is no good Constitutional reason why they cannot advertise. If a picture forces you to eat to obesity, I suggest that you work on your impulses.

Turn off the TV.

P.S. Ban smells.[/quote']

Why are you so angry? It was just a suggestion to help with Americans to become unobeise. If Im correct American population is what 35% obeist. What do you think made them this way? Maybe you dont give a hoot about others healthcare but I do, especially the children. I think alot of crap on here smells, you dont see me complaining about it.