Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Had my surgery the 18th, just got home about an hour ago! A little sore from the hour ride home but other than that all went great. My vision is a little blurry right now because I throw up a lot after surgery and they gave me an ear patch and said that would cause the blurry focus.

One thing I would like to add to future bandsters.....take a pack of lifesavers, mints, or some kind of hard candy. My mouth was so dry and tasted so bad. When the surgeon came in a few hours after surgery he said I could have hard candy as long as you don't chew and swallow bits and peices.

Thanks for all the prayers.....gonna go take a little nap!

Talk to ya later,

Lisa.

Congrats!!! You are now in Bandland!!!

I vomitted too. Did you feel like when you were vomitting, forceful gas was coming out of your mouth?? I did, but to look on the bright side, I didn't have the shoulder gas or really bad gas like I hear. I think a lot of it was expelled when I threw up twice after surgery.

:clap2:

:hippie: Hi, All! It has been a very hectic day: went to bank, post office, had my hair done, went to Kohl's and bought my grandson some adorable pj's, then to the pharmacy to pick up Rx's and a list of things for my mom, dropped them off at my mom's, paid her bills, reprogrammed her telephone with family numbers (got deleted in the last bad storm), then quick stop to pick up batteries that I forgot at pharmacy, to the library and then home. Boy, I need to go back to work to get some rest.

But the best thing that happened today was: I decided to try to weigh myself although my home scale only goes up to 350. First, it was 346. I could not believe it so I started all over and the scale said 348. So, I will take that - 10 pounds in 4 days, and I feel wonderful! :peace:

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!:whoo:

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap2:

Thanks Inner_me and Babygot back for the usefull tips on the excess air situation. Things are going great today and I hope that you are all well. The liquid diet isn't too bad, I have found great success in the things I have been eating. I have found that Muscle Milk by Cytosport, has been a great source of Protein. My clinic recommended it and it has really hit the spot. My nutritionist has also informed me that if I would like more flavor, add a little exstract to for your flavor to any vanilla Protein Shake and it will make it much better. Lend me your thoughts.......

I am glad I could be of help!!! What is a little extract? To add to the shake?

If you are on liquid like me, I bought Suger Free Fudgsicles, V8, creamy Soups, Tortila Soup mix just add Water, drinkable yogurt, Myoplex Protein Shakes, nectar protein shakes (bariatriceating.com) in Fuzzy Navel which tastes like Tang and strawberry Kiwi.

Hello to everyone ,

Well it is the end of day three for me , and I feel so good , I am just amazed . I am a bit tired from time to time but other than that i feel like a million bucks .... (maybe a hundred bucks) . I am doing well with the liquids and have really had to remind myself that I half to drink something since i don't feel hungry . scares look good and the pain is minimal around the incisions .

Dr. Andrew Larson

260/249/145

I am so happy to hear we are all having good experiences!!! You are definitely a million bucks!!!:)

Don't forget your Water or even crystal light.It will keep you from bad hunger pangs.

I also bought some ScarZone to rub into my scars when they healed.

Well, I made it half way (day five of 10) thorugh my pre op diet. It hasn't been bad at all, since I just have to eat low carb. I've already lost 2.5 lbs too!

I paid for my surgery yesterday, too. It all seems very real now. Just a few more days....

Congrats to you! It won't be long now! Best of luck to you. You will be in my thoughts. I only have 11 more days. I am sooooooo excited. Keep us posted. Gigi:)

I am actually going to go back to school, online to finish my BA in psychology. My goal is to get my MA in social work. I have always wanted to work with marriage and family. I was orginally going to get my MA in Marriage and Family Counseling, but someone told me I'd have more options to get my MA in social work.

I have never thought about working with people that have struggled with their weight like I have. Now, with all I have gone through and getting banded, meeting all of you, I think I may have found another calling!!

Hi BGB,

I went back to school later in life..34 and got both a BSW and MSW and am now in private practice. I love it. And I do believe the social work degree gives you more options in who you can work with. For some reason, we are regarded more highly by insurance companies.

Shawn

Hello everyone, its official, I'm now with the band! I just got home about an hour ago from the hospital. I had a few complications, but nothing major.

I had my surgery at 2:00 pm yesterday. I'm still pretty sore, can't get out bed without my DH help. Just took another pain pill, so hopefully it will kick in. They kept me in the hospital and finally released me tonight. My blood sugar dropped really low, so that is one of the reasons they kept me.

I'm mainly sore around the port area, and still have some of those gas pains.

Anyhow, I'm headed back to bed, just checking in to let everyone know that I made it!

Sunshine2, glad to hear you made it through!! I'm a little more sore tonight, hadn't had any pain killer for 10 hours. Just took a dose so I can be sure and sleep tonight!

Audree.....I didn't actually throw up this time!! After my last surgery which was followed by vomiting for a couple of days I made sure they knew I throw up a lot. That's why they were pushing so many meds for nausea that they made me feel a little sick at first. Had some Tomato Soup tonight, have to stay on liquids through the weekend then I get to go to mushies!!

Hope everyone else is doing well, can't wait to hear from the newbies!!

I don't have much shoulder pain, but the gas is in my chest or under my ribs. The gas by far hurts more than the incisions! Have walked the house a few times.....we've had sleet/ice here for a week so walking outside is out of the question. Have also used the Gas X strips....if anyone else has any ideas besides those I'm all ears!!!!

BabyGotBack,

The Doctor told me that I could use Muscle Milk By Cytosport as a Protein Shake. It comes in 20 or so different flavors but my preverence is lemon. Well, they don't have that flavor, so I wanted to find out if there is anything that you could add to vanilla to flavor Protein Drinks for you. The doctor, in my pre-op support class told us to add a little bit (Teaspoon) of lemon extract to my shake and it would give it a close enough flavor to what I am looking for. I have also tried almond and black walnut. All are very good and there are websites that you can get the supplements for cheaper as well.

So, I had my surgery on Thursday. I was really nervous and scared because Justin could not be at the hospital until after I went in for surgery. Thankfully, the doctor was delayed due to the weather. I never thought I would be happy about being delayed...but Justin was able to get to the hospital before the doctor!

After it was done, the doctor said it couldnt have gone any better. I was in alot of pain: the gas pain on my left side, the Co2 pain in my shoulders, incision pain, morphine headaches....everything hurt and I was in tears. That was Thursday and part of yesterday. Today, most of the bad pain has subsided but I am still a little sore.

I am only able to eat about 4-6 spoonfuls of broth or liquid and I am SO full! I was worried how I was going to be able to meet my 64 oz/day Water requirement. My doctor told me that as long as I am urinating 3 times a day, than I am getting enough water. Check. Now I am just worried about my Protein. How in the world am I going to get 50-60 grams of protein a day if I can barely even eat? Does anyone know of a decent protein product that I can mix with my water?

Anyway, every ounce of pain is well worth it so I am NOT complaining! I am down to 218 so I am so thrilled and I need to update my ticker! I know that the pain will slip away in the next coming days, so I am practing patience for now!

Well, that is my update for now! Thanks for everyone who really helped me along the way! :clap2:

Hi folks, I got back from Denver last night, mission accomplished. I have now crossed over into the light. Dr. Kirshenbaum and his staff were great. My surgery had to be postponed a day since my blood was still too thin from the Coumadin I take for a separate health issue. So, I had the surgery on Wednesday. (The one-day postponement gave us time to see the Denver Art Museum, which was great!).

I'm definitely glad to be home. Traveling through airports and flight connections two days after surgery was not great fun. But today the pain is not bad at all. Just that feeling people describe of having done 500 situps. The incisions themselves are not painful, and I've had no gas pains or shoulder pains at all.

Since Tuesday night, the night before surger, I've had nothing but Water. So I guess it's time to start exploring the exciting world of broth.< /p>

Thanks to everyone for all the great information and support.

Talk to you later.

Mark

:hug: Congratulations to all who have crossed over in the past few days:wow2:!! you guys are real troopers :thumb:and I wish you the best on your new journey:clap2: I'm rigghhhtt :dance:behind you guys..To those who are in my shoes..We'll get there...patience is a virtue...and mines is wearing thin.:)..keep your chin up and your spirits high and our time will come!!! :hail:to those who have been through the :star:process:star: and are well on there way...Keep us newbies in your thoughts :pray2:and in your posts...We definately need your knowledge and support!!!!:)

Thanks for responding Chris.

I had surgery on Friday and went back to work on Monday. I am wondering if that wasn't a mistake. Where do you get the beneprotein? I may need to add that into my foods. I know that I am not getting my total Protein in.

Have you gotten "full" on your liquids? I think I drank something too fast yesterday because something got stuck. It was a weird feeling.

Anyone experience "full" yet? What is it supposed to feel like?

Renee, I took the entire week off. Glad that I did, although, I felt well enough to go back by Monday/Tuesday too.

I think I've done better with my protein for the last two days. I'm actually able to get more down, although it still fluctuates. For instance, I can have thin mashed potatoes (thin them out with soy milk which adds protein). I ate them twice today already. The first time I got 4 oz/half a cup down with no problem. The second time...oh my goodness...I thought I was so full it was ridiculous. I smartened up in time to stop before it became painful - just uncomfortable, but I was back to only getting down maybe 2.5 oz.

I've just started feeling full. It feels just like before. Highly uncomfortable around my ribcage area. Almost like it hurts to breath. That's how I know I ate too much and I need to stop IMMEDIATELY. It amazes me. I use to feel this way after going to a restaurant and having salad/soup and a main course. Now, I wouldn't even get past a few bites of the salad/soup. I know that it's supposed to get a little better over the course of the next couple of weeks. By the time I move to soft foods in 3 weeks, my doctor recommends eating 1/2 to 1 cup of food.< /p>

So, for all who are just out, and you're barely getting down a couple of spoonfuls...do the best you can. In a couple of days, as the swelling starts to go down, you'll be able to do more.