Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

I have told quite a few people I'm getting the band, I think I need all the support I can get. Most people are supportive. My sister who is also overweight says she doesn't want to go out to lunch with me any

more. :think I asked her why it makes a difference. If I'm happy with smaller amounts of food what's the problem. My husband asked me yesterday if the band is reversible (he is very thin). My friends are supportive but nervous for me. I'm not nervous at all! I went to do my after surgery grocery shopping and can't wait to begin my new life.

I hope everyone is doing great, - IntheBreeze13, how are you doing now? I have a feeling I might have to spend the night in the hospital but not sure. So sorry you had a lot of pain, are you doing better?

Thanks, I'm doing much, much better now! I have to watch for the cat jumping up on my belly though. (His favorite perch!) Still sore to cough but getting up and around much better and only used liquid tylenol 1X so far today. Keeping up with the post op diet and getting lots of sleep. Good luck to all about to be banded and try not to worry, It's a very safe procedure. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Sheesh, I can't keep up with this thread!! :P

Well, I have good news! All my bloodwork came back good, so the hematologist cleared me for surgery! Now if I can only keep myself on this darn Optifast and not cheat! It's so close! I could seriously use a pep talk. I'm SO DONE with these shakes. Blech!

Maria

Hey everyone,

It takes a little time to catch up with all the posts if you don't get online everyday!! Sounds like everyone is doing well pre-op and post op (with a few complications).

Thanks Audree, for the info on erosion.

I'm 6 days post-op and feeling great. It's amazing not to have hunger pains and to be satisfied with small amounts of mostly liquid food (I'm not crazy, I know it won't last forever). Today I had a staff retreat at the nicest restaurant in town with a catered lunch. I had made arrangements to have Tomato basil Soup as my entree. So while everyone else ate soup, and then their Entrees and finished things off with cheesecake, I slowly ate my soup and it was great!!!!! I felt satisfied, and everything was okay. I also went out to eat after church yesterday to Souper salad where they charge the one price no matter what and I told the guy that I had WLS last week and I could only eat a very small amount of soup and he needed to only charge me for a to go portion of soup - and he did!

I've never been shy but I feel a certain empowerment with the band that I haven't had before. I just know I am going to be successful this time and I just made the decision that I have the right to ask for what I want and what is best for me.

Just thought I'd share my NSV's (non-scale victories!) the scale victory this morning was pretty great too - drum roll please - for the first time in a year I weigh less than 300 pounds - WOOHOO - 12 pounds down (I know Cindy said not to weigh - but that's an addiction I haven't been victorious over!)

To all of you that haven't been banded yet - it's only been a week and I already believe that this little silicone band is one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Later,

Amy

In my private messages, I just found the email address to get a Bracelet from Allergen/Inamed: write to Don_Mills@allergen. Supposedly they are free, and take about a month or so to get. I wrote today, we'll see what happens...I would like one, for sure. I'm not a fan of purple, so the teal from the manufacturer may be the way to go for me.

:peace:

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and the thoughts and prayers for me today. I had the surgery about 7:30 this morning. I am feeling good, just a little hard to move around. My wonderful husband keeps reminding me every couple of hours to move, helping me up, etc. I will be sleeping in the recliner tonight. It is a lot easier to get out of than the bed. Dr. Pucci called around 7:00 PM to see how I was doing and if I needed anything. I thought that was sweet. It turned out that he found a cyst on my stomach and removed it, so I may be having a little more pain than some others.

Back to the recliner for me! Hope all my band twins came through today as well or better than me.

:hippie:

It takes a little time to catch up with all the posts if you don't get online everyday!!

I know what you mean, I come back from the weekends, and there is TEN pages to read. But all the post are so good and encouraging, I spend an hour every morning at work reading them. LOL

I've never been shy but I feel a certain empowerment with the band that I haven't had before. I just know I am going to be successful this time and I just made the decision that I have the right to ask for what I want and what is best for me.

I feel the same way! I feel the band is that extra power that I need to succeed!

Just thought I'd share my NSV's (non-scale victories!) the scale victory this morning was pretty great too - drum roll please - for the first time in a year I weigh less than 300 pounds - WOOHOO - 12 pounds down (I know Cindy said not to weigh - but that's an addiction I haven't been victorious over!)

Amy - Congratulations! I know you must be so thrilled! That truly is a victory! I personally cannot wait to get to 189. I've been trying for years to get under 190. Seems I can get to 190, but never break the 190's then before I know it, I get discouraged then back up to 230lbs again. Its a vicious cycle!

I have 10 days to go. And I have a cold. OH NO! It's fairly mild so I hope it won't cause me to have to postpone.

I love all your posts. I've haven't told many people, especially anyone that I think will be negative.

Edie

PeaCeJ,

Congrats on your band!

I too will be banded in Dover on 1/30. However, I have Dr. Abkin. How did you like the bariatric center there? I've been incredibly pleased with their women's center. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated; especially any heads up so I know what to expect.

Again, congrats. Wow...just think how great things will be!!!!:P

Audree, each doctor is sooo different in their pre and post op diets. I saw about 3 before choosing Dr. Spivak. He requires liquid diets after surgery for only 48 hours up to 4 days depending on how you do with the liquids. I am now on pureed and soft foods. I use Magic Bullet (love it) for my chunky Soups and then thin with Water. Last night I had a soft scrambled egg. I never knew egg could taste so good! My cousin told me to try this recipe for soft food:

ricotta cheese, top with ragu sauce (no chunks), sprinkle shredded cheese on top.

I'm going to have that tonight. I'll let you know how it is.

How about you? What stage are you at? What are you eating that is really good?

Dr. Ortiz requires three full weeks of liquid stage (meaning it has to be able to go through a straw) . I skip the mushy stage. The best thing I have had is Tortilla Soup with shredded cheese pureed. I had some Campbells Soup clam chowder and I got so excited I ate the whole bowl (15 oz) and now I feel sick, bloated and nausous!!!! I didn't know you could over do it on the liquids. I am not going to eat the rest of the night, I feel awful!!!

I had some Cam

Hello again - now I may be going nuts but last night I woke up in a cold sweat thinking about how my kids and husband would be if everything does not go well on friday. I am freaking out at this stage, and the worst part is that I haven't told anyone other than my husband. I even got to the point of writing letters to each of them telling them how much I care, and how sorry I am etc etc... just in case. It took me hours to calm down and relax enough to go back to sleep. I came downstairs and started reading all the posts in here - so encouraging and supportive:) and totally responsible for the calming effect - I think if it had not been for this forum I would have chickened out at this stage!

Did anyone else feel like this? I talked to my husband about it this evening and hes very supportive and reassuring, but I can't help worrying!

I guess I just have to have trust in God at this stage - my surgeon is very experienced and has done over 1000 lap bands, and even trains other doctors on the technique, but my head is not listening to logic at this point.

I just can't wait to wake up after surgery on friday and phone home!

I felt like that, the night before. I was even envisioning my daughters faces, them crying and saying "why, mom was perfect the way she was". I couldn't sleep over it. So, I suggest taking a sleep aid the night before. Of course, everything turned out wonderful!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

And, here I am !!!

I am new here , but i feel like this will be a place a visit very often ... I am being banded on 1-17-07 just 2 days from now and i think i am having a nervous break down

We have all been where you are!!! Some peoples doctors prescribe them something for the anxiety. Everything will be just fine!!! I am day 10 post op and doing fantastic!!! I never knew I could live without being a slave to food and overeating. I am free from the bondage and you will be too!!! Just go back and read these posts from the beginning and it should really help!!!

Sherilyn,

The bariatric center there is great. :clap2:Everyone there that I came in contact with was kind and understanding. They have large chairs, large wheelchairs and the gowns are large enough to fit my size 26 and then some. And you don't have to ask for them, they just bring them automatically. It's a little thing that means so much.

I had my blood work a week before the surgery. I was surprised when the phlebotomist started putting a hospital band on my wrist. When I told her that I had not told anyone at work, she made the band large enough to get off. Of course, I put it back on before I went in this morning.

The surgery took about 1 1/2 hours, and then you are in recovery for about 1 1/2 hours (I don't remember recovery at all) and then they do a barium test to make sure that liquid will go through the band (that was pretty disgusting). They took me back to the outpatient surgery area, where they gave me a pain killer and I took a nap. I walked a little, they brought me my clothes, and it was time to go home. I was scheduled to be at the hospital at 6:30 AM and was home before 2:00. I have been napping all day and walking around the house and sipping liquids in between naps. I feel better after each nap.:notagree

Good luck on the 30th. I hear great things about Dr. Abkin.

Sherilyn,

The bariatric center there is great. :clap2:Everyone there that I came in contact with was kind and understanding. They have large chairs, large wheelchairs and the gowns are large enough to fit my size 26 and then some. And you don't have to ask for them, they just bring them automatically. It's a little thing that means so much.

I had my blood work a week before the surgery. I was surprised when the phlebotomist started putting a hospital band on my wrist. When I told her that I had not told anyone at work, she made the band large enough to get off. Of course, I put it back on before I went in this morning.

The surgery took about 1 1/2 hours, and then you are in recovery for about 1 1/2 hours (I don't remember recovery at all) and then they do a barium test to make sure that liquid will go through the band (that was pretty disgusting). They took me back to the outpatient surgery area, where they gave me a pain killer and I took a nap. I walked a little, they brought me my clothes, and it was time to go home. I was scheduled to be at the hospital at 6:30 AM and was home before 2:00. I have been napping all day and walking around the house and sipping liquids in between naps. I feel better after each nap.:notagree

Good luck on the 30th. I hear great things about Dr. Abkin.

Great to hear you are doing so well!!!