Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared about complications

Being afraid is healthy and normal. Honestly those who say "do it all right and it will be fine" are the people who will likely be a mess if they do have complications because they aren't prepared.

Use your fears to educate yourself. Write down each fear and then research what you can do about it. If it's a leak, look up symptoms so that if you have them you can be proactive and get help right away. Delay is what kills with leaks. It nearly killed me.

Don't trust your doctor to know what's wrong. If you have symptoms and they feel you're fine, insist on a barium swallow anyway. This could have saved me hundreds of thousands of dollars...but more importantly, saved me from intense pain...more than I can ever explain.

If you fear strictures than look up those symptoms...again know what they are and listen to your body. REport any concerns and insist they be checked out.

Check out your doctor and the hospital you will be at (and for gods sake do this at a hospital...I went to a day surgery center...COE and all...it was a mistake as they couldn't treat the bleeding properly). Know who your doctor is, your anesthesiologist, your nurses...ask about them all and their credentials.

As your doctor how they deal with a leak or a stricture. Ask for SPECIFICS and ask about early leaks and late leaks. Ask how many they have dealt with and the outcomes. A doctor who is good will be frank with you. I wish I'd have done this!

Have a network in place so that if you aren't a quick healer you can take the time you need to heal properly. Think about things...lifting a basket of laundry or vacuuming should be avoided for six weeks. Don't shop and carry heavy bags...don't over exercise and for gods sake after surgery follow your doctors orders! Be smart so you heal well :)

Fear complications. With this surgery they are BAD. It's normal and right to feel those fears, but use that fear to lead you down the path to a great recovery and worst case...know that leaks or strictures caught early on are not nearly as bad as those that are left too long. Those are what kill, or severely damage your life. Knowing about them...everything you can learn :) will help you move forward and face those concerns. Knowledge is always the key!

Research your doctor, I picked a great doctor and all he does is bariatrics. His leak rate is less than 1%. I had a pretty low bmi and am a mom. I didn't want to toss all of that a way on an elective surgery but I knew in my heart that this was not an elective surgery for me. I knew my issues with my weight and food were keeping me from living my best life and would ultimately take my health and life. I am 5 months post op- down 62 lbs and healthier and happier than I have ever been. This is not without risk, but neither is getting out of bed each day. Do your research, educate yourself like iggychick suggests and if this is your last resort to lose weight then do it. It was mine.

In the same boat. My date is March 5th' date=' and I'm scared to death. It's getting worse as it gets closer. I fear the unknown and just wish it was over already. I did this to myself and now i have to fix this. Reading the post op forums help me, cant wait to post there.[/quote']

My surgery is March 6. I am just afraid of not waking up and leaving my husband and 3 kids alone. My best friend had the same surgery with the same Dr so that makes me worry less. She weighed about what I weigh currently and other than being over weight I have no other health problems. I too wish it was over but I am so glad I have the opportunity to do it.

Here's what I know for sure.... 11 years ago, I weighed 238lbs.... Now, I weigh 310. I SO wish I had done this when I was 24. Good news is that I AM doing it now that I'm 34. I'm still you and beautiful and I'm looking forward to the rest of my life. Go for it girl!!! :)

I'm scared too!! I go in for it in less than 5 days!! We got this tho!! Right??!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Positive thoughts :) you'll get through it... I'm in the process of researching about VSG & the website is helping me in making the right choice for a healthy life.