Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why can't we donate blood?

I'm looking at the binder of info my surgeon's office gave me, and it says I won't be able to donate blood any more after having the sleeve. Why's that?

Hmmm, that's a new one to me! I'm curious now, too!

Never heard that. We are not sick or contagious. We are actually healthier. I would think they would encourage us to give. Anybody hear this before?

I do remember hearing that about gastric bypass patients in my class. But I think sleeve patients were fine to as long as their bloodwork was fine. I'd imagine it'd make us more tired than before surgery since we aren't eating as much though.

It may be that we cant donate just before and for a while after surgery. Make sense since if there are complication we wouldnt want our blood volume to be lower. I have never know it to be said that you cant forever. I do not know why that would be.

Maybe because Iron isn't absorbed as easily with the smaller stomach? So removing all of that blood could cause an iron deficiency? Just a guess on my part.

Slimdingdani is right. The bypass usually means patients are having to watch thier Iron levels very closely. I dont believe that is the care with the sleeve.

I HAVE to have blood removed once every 3 weeks (due to an Iron overload condition) and feel fine afterwards. I would imagine if your pulse, temp, BP, blood sugars are all fine - it shouldn't be a problem at all. That's a new one!

their rationale is that we are eating very small portions that we are required to take supplements. They're afraid that we will deplete our Vitamin reserve and it will affect our health......That's all I can think of, but I haven't heard directly any no's to donating blood......It would probably make me really tired and sleepy though. :)

Ok! Maybe that was just some generic weight loss surgery info, and more geared toward bypass patients!

I called and asked my doctor who told me that I can never donate blood again. That it would unbalance my Vitamin levels and chemicals and what not. I am not deficient in anything, but that it can make you deficient and it’s hard to get back to where you where before donating, and can cause problems. This may be directed specifically towards me, but I had heard this same thing from many people who have been sleeved that they can no longer donate. Just my two cents J

Thank you for posting about this. With the events that happened in Boston yesterday I was going to try to donate blood today, but my family didn't feel that it was a good idea. Per our local paper, I guess the Red Cross is doing pretty well with their supply at the moment anyway.

I donate platelets monthly for burns and cancer patients. The blood bank excluded me for 6 months after a major surgery, which it considered having 85 percent of my stomach removed to be. I donated for the first time since surgery and felt fine, no complications, and they found the vein a lot easier. I don't know if its different for me because I'm not giving whole blood, but if in doubt, talk to your surgeon.

I'm pretty sure it's more or bypass patients since they have such an absorption issue. Most places check your blood to see if you're healthy prior to donating so you should be good.